Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for replacement plants in two ceramic pots

Options
  • 31-03-2022 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

Looking for some guidance from gardeners more knowledgeable than me. I have have two standard holly plants in large ceramic pots outside my house. Been in the pots for over 15 years.

They were never really suited for the pot and even though they do bother produce new leaves and berries they have never "bushed" up so to speak, always been scrawny as see in picture.

They have suffered from black soot on the leaves and I have addressed this on a couple of occasions I have also removed both plants cut through the roots all allow me to add more compost/ soil - i dont think these plants will ever improve.

I think it is time to replace them so looking for some suggestions as to what I can put in these pots, can be the same height or somewhat smaller. The wall is east facing so gets the sun in the morning

Any suggestions appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Those pots have not been big enough for those trees for a very long time. You need to get something that will not grow as big.

You could try sarcococca, a medium sized evergreen shrub with nice glossy leaves and small very scented flowers in winter/early spring. They are very popular at the moment so readily available.

Meanwhile I hope you will find somewhere to plant those hollies. They are in good condition, all things considered, and with a bit of tlc would make good garden trees.

Clean out the pots well before planting anything else in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cuttlefish

Do you reckon they are in good condition!! In my humble opinion I always thought they looked the under nourished and in these pots as you mentioned they most definitely are

I will look into the sarcococca, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I just mean that they have potential to be reasonable trees, given a bit of love. All that's wrong with them at the moment is they are a bit strangled. They would probably take a few seasons to improve but a berry-ing holly tree is an expensive yoke these days, don't waste them 😀

Advertisement