Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

National EV Charging Infrastructure Strategy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭cannco253

Reading material…

“June will be the first iteration of the National EV Charging Network Plan (EN-Route Charging). Q2 2023”

https://www.pobal.ie/shared-island-sports-club-ev-charging-scheme-opens-today/

Developed in partnership with Sports Ireland and Sports Governing Bodies across the island, and administered by Pobal, the scheme will allow sports clubs North and South, to apply to install a fast EV charge point at their grounds providing charging for club members as well as the local community.

Applications will be gathered and assessed by Pobal, who will provide guidance on the scheme generally and who will offer direct support to applicants

Minimum Requirements for Sport Clubs

• Have a 3 Phase electricity connection                                                                                                                                 
    • Be the owner of the site or have a suitable leasehold agreement
    • Where leasing, have the written permission of the property owner to install EV Charging Points
    • Have suitable car-parking spaces – a minimum of 2 car-parking spaces per EV Charging Point
    • Be open to the public i.e., open for a minimum of 10 hours per day, at least 5 days a week, all year round (excluding public holidays)
    • Provide reasonable facilities such as publicly accessible toilets, access to refreshments, waiting area on site or within 500m of the sports club 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Those conditions will rule out a lot of places, especially the public toilets etc one.

Doubt there are many GAA, soccer, or rugby clubs that could meet those.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,436 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I'd say that's more of a general infrastructure problem and isn't too difficult to fix.

For example the council recently installed some public toilets in the park near me, didn't need much more space then a portacabin and is close enough to the sports pitches that it should meet the requirements

At Ardgillan Castle they've installed some waterless public bathrooms near the car park where there's no mains water supply, so even if the infrastructure is lacking it can be done

And personally I think the days of "go in the bushes" should probably be consigned to the past

Frankly I think the 3 phase supply requirement is likely to cause more issues. I imagine a lot of smaller clubs would be running a single phase supply only

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 9,263 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

How do those waterless bogs work for Number 2's?

I think the biggest problem is the 10 hours a day/5 days a week of public opening. Most sports clubs would open only at the weekends and a few late evenings

• Advertisement

I have not tried, and I confess I don't intend to

Biggest problem is no taps so no hand washing. Don't think sanitiser is going to cut it after that

I think the opening hours is regarding the car park and possibly the bathrooms. That's probably doable for a lot of sports clubs since they can lock up the clubhouse but leave the gate open

They might need something to prevent unwanted overnight parking

Well I guess they could just close the gate overnight and have the car park open at different times to the club?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭innrain

but before all these conditions to be met somebody needs to apply. We have experience with the local councils that they couldn't care less. Why would one think the GAA clubs would consider applying. Where is the benefit? Where is the kickback if they don't apply? There is no carrot there is no stick. I'm a cynic I know. Especially when it comes to press releases from politicians or public bodies. Now Sports Ireland has a huge site in Blanch. (nearly as big as Monaco) How many chargers do they have? It is good they give grants though.

You are a cynic 😉

But you're also probably right. There'll be a few of the bigger clubs that apply but the vast majority won't be interested

Unless the scheme was also tied to some sort of club renewal fund then it'll go nowhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭zg3409

They have 4 since 2020.

I agree that it's probably a waste of effort and money funding sports clubs to get chargers. We really need 50kW+ accessible 24/7 and AC chargers for overnight near places that can't get a home charger such as apartment blocks and terrace houses. Certain public town car parks would be ideal and carrot and stick would make council want to install them. Better still fund the new quango to put out tenders to install them with the council's blessing. The council will take them if they are handed them on a plate.

I have seen council run chargers in Germany and they suffer from lack of maintenance, single DC per site and not enough AC.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭josip

Our club has 15 parking spaces. On training nights they're all in use and many more cars on the street outside.

On match days they're also always fully occupied and loads of cars on the street.

It's a nice idea but I can't see our club designating a couple of spaces for EVs that will at best be only partially utilised.

Resurrecting this thread again.

Does anyone know of any clubs that have applied recently for this grant?

Also, not sure if this has already been discussed but only got round to reading it properly now

The closing date for taking part in the public consultation is 5pm on Tuesday, September 26 2023. Just filled in the survey myself now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,263 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I must have filled in about 50 surveys in the last year saying how s#1t and overpriced our public chargers are... They're still s#1t and overpriced so the time I spent filling in 50 surveys amounted to nothing

Maybe you should be more diplomatic about your responses 😉

I'm not happy about the paragraph on payment methods, it seems to put RFID cards and Plug & Charge at the same level as using debit cards and actively disciruages chip & pin readers in favour of contactless

I was pretty clear in my comments that debit card needs to be the default method of payment and chip and pin should be encouraged since some providers require more than €50 block on the account

I'd recommend everyone else says something similar so they get a strong response that debit cards are the way to go

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I'd prefer that operators weren't allowed to block >€50 in advance than require a chip&pin machine over contactless.

Contactless as a default seem's perfectly ok to me.

That'd be nice, but I doubt you'll get providers signing up to that. Also you still have issues with different currencies, like BP which charges £50, fine if you're in the UK but a hassle if you pay in any lower value currency

There's also places where contactless isn't common, like the US, so they're less likely to have cards that support it

Also, what happens if you go over €50 worth of electricity, does the session automatically end? Pretty annoying if you're trying to get a lot of charge

Mainly I would prefer if they removed the line discouraging the installation of chip and pin terminals and just recommended that debit and credit cards are the standard way of payment and other methods are in addition to that

Here's the section on payment methods, for reference

Plug and play is much better than any app or contactless or chip and pin option.

Hopefully that's the future

• Advertisement

Is it that much more effort to plug in and tap a debit card versus just plugging in?

And plug and charge requires you to register with some provider beforehand. That's fine if you're a regular user but for a one off user it's way too much hassle

Would you consider it convenient to have to register for a shop to buy anything when you just wanted a carton of milk?

Maybe it's the future, but it shouldn't be at the cost of removing conventional payment methods

It's definitely more hassle and spending 2mins sorting out payments when you're only stopping for 5mins is a waste if time too.

Also I've seen complaints from many people about issues with tap and pay at chargers and complaints about pre-authorization amounts not being refunded, being too large etc... If for example they take 50 euro each time and don't refund for a week and you're driving across the continent on a road trip it could be hundreds of euro, and then you've to check they were all returned etc... Hassle

A carton of milk isn't a valid comparison as you've to buy that every week, public charging for most is not a regular buy. Plug and pay is the same concept as the Amazon shops where you walk in,take your items and walk out and it's just billed to you account. No tills, no queues.

A dubious example given Amazon have yet to roll out their checkout less shops beyond the test one 😉

Anyway, I'm not opposed to plug and charge, but I don't think it should be encouraged as the default method of payment

To go to your trip across Europe, what if you have to register accounts with 5 different providers to allow plug and charge, and then 3 of them require an initial top up of €20 to activate the charger

Not to mention the fact that your car needs to work with that provider, I think VW only works with We Charge for example who don't support every network

Again, I like the idea of plug and charge, and I'll absolutely use it when available. But I really don't like the idea of that being the only method of authentication

Saw this on Facebook, haven’t seen the details previously

In Ireland the programme is focused on the Wider Midlands region as it transitions away from peat as an energy source. The designated JTF Region in Ireland is defined as the counties of Laois, Longford, Offaly, Westmeath, Roscommon and the Municipal Districts of Ballinasloe (Co. Galway), Athy, Clane-Maynooth, (Co. Kildare), Carrick-on-Suir and Thurles (Co Tipperary).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I think VW only works with We Charge for example who don't support every network

It will work with any provider that supports plug&charge. It’s not tied to WeCharge.

I agree it shouldn’t be the only method.

Anyone attend this or know of anyone applying?

The application portal is now open and completed applications, including supporting documentation, must be submitted via the application portal linked above by 5pm on 28 September 2023.

Upcoming Events

Online Application Support Event, 19 September 2023: This event is targeted at the owners and managers of community facilities in the Just Transition Fund Region such as Community Centres, Libraries, Primary Health Care Centres, Enterprise Hubs and others. The event will provide comprehensive information on the new EUJTF Community Facilities EV Charging Scheme including eligibility criteria and the application process. Register here to attend this online event.

Past Events

An online Information Session was held on 10 August 2023.

You view or download the Information Session presentation slides here.

ZEVI

What is the timeline for the scheme?

• The scheme will be launched on February 14, 2024;
    • Applicants shall prepare their proposals and make their submission before the closing date at noon on April 10, 2024;
    • The new infrastructure is due to be online by December 2025.

More detail in the etenders docs - a roof covering charging infrastructure!

Applicants must be willing to establish a Recharging Pooloffering a power output of at least 1200kW and to include at least four combined charging system Recharging Points, eachwith an individual power output of at least 150 kW. In order to be considered, the Recharging Pool must either be:

- accessible from both directions of travel; or

- a Recharging Pool which comprises of two separate Siteswithin 2km of each other (i.e., “as the crow flies”), each ofwhich:

o is accessible from opposing directions of travel;

o has, at least, a 600kW Recharging Pool; and

o satisfies the distance from network requirement (as specified in section 4.2).

Access from opposing directions of travel must be covered by the combination of the two Sites (e.g., at least one Site covering traffic travelling northbound,and at least one Site covering traffic travelling southbound)

Existing Recharging Pools which have a power output of less than 1200 kW may participate in the Competition (e.g. an existing 600kW Recharging Pool could make a Submission to increase its power output from 600kW to 1200kW).

5.1.3 Amenities

Applicants must provide the following details for the provision of Amenities outlined in Table 9: Sub-criteria and details required for Amenities and complete Part I3 – Amenities in Appendix 1 – Application Response Document. 

In the case of a Submission comprised of two Sites, Applicants must submit a separate response for each Site. The average of the marks for both Sites will be considered as the overall mark for amenities. 

Table 9: Sub-criteria and details required for Amenities

Sub-criteria

Details required

Amenities

Site layout drawings and summary which outline what proposed amenities will be available on Site on completion of the EVCI project.

The Submission will be assessed on the basis of the amenities at the Site(s) which may include but are not limited to:

• Welfare facilities (toilets, changing facilities);

• Food and beverage options;

• An enclosed building with warm and dry space to sit whilstcharging;

• Other amenities (including recreational areas, family friendly amenities, any other amenities that are deemed beneficial to the recharging point user); and

• A roof covering over the charging infrastructure to protect users from the elements (rain etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

That’s a very tight turnaround if they have to identify/secure sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Existing fuel retailers will be best placed to avail of this scheme but unfortunately they have a vested interest and may rather see it fail. ESB and planning will be blockers also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭zg3409

I hope something comes out of this but it may cause existing players to hold off expansion pending free money and for sites nearly ready to be redesigned to comply with the new grants. Those with planning already may hold and go for planning again. ESB grid upgrades can take 6-12 months meaning timelines may be tight. I would like to see 4 or 5 major hubs nationwide that can support dozens of cars at once rather than lots of smaller sites that can only support half a dozen cars at once. We need to be planning now for 100% of cars to be electric.

Advertisement