Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future of Nintendo (Split from Nintendo Game News and Releases)

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The drum that the Switch is underpowered and can't play Halo is well played now.

And that seems to be what much of this thread boils down to.

Sadly, the Switch insists on selling well, and game releases this year look pretty good

Maybe that pushes out the Switch successor by more than we would want, I don't know, I'm pretty happy with the content as it stands.

The new console will come right on time, whenever that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Inviere

I think a lot of the critics of the Switch feel it's flaws show not only in large AAA multi platform games (which most would forgive, given its not competing with the big two) , but also with many of Nintendo's own first party exclusive games.

It's OK to see performance suffer a little with the likes of CoD, Battlefield, and whatever other games like those which arguably you shouldn't be buying a Switch for anyway.

But to see some of Nintendo's own first party games chug along at sub 30fps, while in sub-HD resolutions, well, I can forgive those who are disappointed in these situations.

I personally don't care much for cutting edge resolutions, particularly on handheld machines where the small screen generally shines up nicely even at 720p...but I am a stickler for frame rate. Nothing ruins games for me more than dropped frames, noticeable dips in frame rate, and downright chugging.

Nintendo to their credit have turned the innards/soc of what's essentially a 2015 tablet into a smash success. That's largely thanks to their stupendously good game development, not many other companies could achieve.

A Switch successor will have the same limitations though, its ALWAYS going to come down to thermals/battery life with handhelds, so expectations need to be tempered. Personally I'd be happy with a native 1080p handheld that targets a locked 60fps in all content. If Nintendo can achieve that (perhaps with some DLSS voodoo in docked mode as an added bonus), then the next Switch will be well placed to continue the massive success they've seen.

They do need to be cautious though, and not forget what was learned with the Wii U. The next Switch needs to properly differentiate itself from the current one, be a clear step forward, and not have a ridiculous name.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

"not have a ridiculous name"

Game and watch switch...

The Nintendo Swatch.

Piece on the feasibility of DLSS on an upgraded switch given the constraints of low wattage

Most likely not a runner on handheld mode as expected

Admittedly I've only skimmed the article, but DLSS wouldn't be needed for handheld use, assuming the next screen is a native 1080p panel. It'd come into play using docked mode, where power constraints are far less of a concern, and where the display being used may indeed be 4k capable. So DLSS features could be enabled/disabled based on the active power profile being used.

• Advertisement

You should watch the video in it if you can

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Has anyone mentioned the global chip shortage? Wouldn't be against a hardware update myself but that might delay any plans they had

Current or updated switches both need chips.

The chip shortage is projected to abate over 2022 and to regularise in 2023 (when BOTW 2 comes out)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I would say they've passed peak Switch hardware sales though. And I've heard some horror stories from industry due to the chip shortage so I could see them wanting to delay a new version and sit on the software revenue a while longer. But BOTW2 might create a new demand too.

I would like to have some newer 3rd party games on the Switch (only console I really play these days) so hopefully you're right.

Ssshhh - you're not supposed to say that - the party line is that you should be happy with Nintendo re-releases and sporadic new releases and if you want to play other games that are not indies that are getting a concurrent megadrive release then you need to buy another console!

I think given the 6 year timeframe since the last upgrade/device (in 2023), the fact that the cpu is even older and BoTW2 being "apparently" released then it will happen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Party line?

The system is fairing just fine.

It may not be selling as it did at it's peak but no surprises there at all.

And, as for the release schedule, the most recent Direct would suggest that things are pretty healthy there too.

No surprises either that the next Switch is probably due next year, given the past form of hardware releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Somethings never change it seems.

im going to be getting a switch soon, sounds like I’d be a big eejit as I’m 4 years behind the curve.

I think the future is healthy. Switch is the most requested stuff where I work.

Yep, the Switch, even if replaced in the next 12 to 18 months, has a massive catalogue now of great games.

Be it a full fat Switch or a cheaper Switch Lite, the console has had a cracking run and still more worthwhile titles to enjoy.

I can't wait to start No Mans Sky again, upon its release, as well as Bayonetta 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I only ever get a nintendo console near the end 😄

Learnt my lesson with n64.

I’ll only be playing handheld, which is best to get do you think?

Know of anywhere that would be best to buy from?

A preowned Switch Lite is a cheap way to play pretty much everything.

The only reason not to, to get the full fat machine, is if you want to do the whole detach the controls and shake it about, as you've stated you only want to play as a handheld.

Your Wii gaming habit should inform you of that!

And you can use a Switch Pro controller with the Lite as well.

Here's a few options

A Switch

A Switch Lite

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

You sometime see new Switch lites on Amazon approaching those prices above.

The problem with the switch lite, is stick drift. If you get that the whole device needs returning and repair. I'd be wary of this getting a second hand switch lite.

At least with the regular switch you can replace them separately. And plug into TV which is a really nice to have. And play more easily in tabletop mode 😀

If I had the money and was buying a switch for the first time then the OLED one is probably the best to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,181 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Nintendo Switch 2 Rumored To Use Nvidia

DLSS and ray tracing support are on the table.

Releasing just in time for Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom next May. That bit I made up, but wouldn't surprise me if it happened. I hope it does.

I dont really care about ray tracing, but dlss would be a big step in the right direction for the Switch U. Anything that gets framerates higher and more consistent is a big plus.

A new competitor for Nintendo Switch(and Steam Deck) that focuses primarily on cloud gaming(we know how popular that is on Switch).

Logitech announces a handheld console focused on cloud gaming

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

So $300 + your cloud sub. But it assumes you want a dedicated device for gaming, because otherwise you spend a fraction of that on a controller mount for your phone and just use your cloud gaming sub through that.

I'm honestly not sure how many people want a non-trivially-priced dedicated gaming device that is only any use with a monthly subscription and network connection. I guess we'll see...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's an absolutely appalling deal when you consider you can get a Steam Deck for only a little extra, and stock with the SD is near the point of normalising so you won't have to wait a year to get the thing either. That offers easy Xbox Cloud Streaming on top of the native Steam support, multiple third-party launcher access, and the general openness of a PC platform. With the Logitech you're totally restricted.

Not only that but I think an exclusively cloud-based handheld system is an inherently flawed idea anyway. Fine for when you're sitting on the couch (assuming you have good WiFi) but a nuisance at best and a brick at worst when you're travelling. Stick with the Switch or SD, or even one of the SD portable-PC competitors.

I can play Stadia and stream Xbox titles onto my Chromebook, so I'm ok for another streaming device.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Debating on whether upgrading the Switch I got in 2018 to an OLED one they are fairly cheap out here in Oz.

I do think there will be a proper new model released next year though.

I am still using my launch Switch, but I will pick up the later models in time, just to have in the collection.

But the follow-up device, yep, I'd say we will have it for Christmas '23 for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

OLED screen brightness is very nice double memory too to 64gb but I'm still using my 1.1 switch and my busted Let's Go Eevee original models to play my games the OLED comes out when I want to play a Pokemon game just to have the alternate account. I suspect I will migrate one of my accounts permanently to my OLED soon as the Eevee console had a power surge a couple of years ago and doesn't hold charge great.

Tldr maybe pick up a new OLED during black Friday later this month you might get a good deal.

Great post summarising the history of next-gen Nintendo hardware (aka Switch 2) leaks and info

Inside Nvidia's New T239 Processor: The Next-Gen Tegra For Switch 2?

For several years now, Nvidia has been working on a new gaming processor codenamed T239. Derived from a Tegra chip designed for the automotive and robotics industry, T239 combines an eight-core ARM CPU cluster with an Nvidia Ampere-class GPU with 1536 CUDA cores, advanced machine learning and RT capabilities - plus a file decompression engine for fast loading. Rich assesses the leaks and disclosures on T239, ties it to the next Switch project and fires up an ultra-low spec Ampere GPU to get some idea of what this processor can achieve.

Digital Foundry speculate on the possible processor for Switch 2.

Advertisement