Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New mesh wifi system with FTTH

Options
  • 01-04-2022 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Apologies for what is undoubtably a stupid question but i'm a bit stumped and want to make sure i am correct before buying. I am waiting on FTTH through NBI (window is April to June). I am currently on a 7mb line through Sky but i want to make sure what i'm saying is correct before i look at upgrading my wifi.

I am looking to purchase the Asus ZenWIFI AX Hybrid or some similar mesh wifi 6 network system. Am i correct in saying i can use my current Sky SR203 router in conjunction with the Asus? I have heard before about using the router in bridging mode and let the new system do all the traffic management but i'm not 100% on how it actually work. Are there any issues i'm not foreseeing here?

Sorry for the noob question but any guidance much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

You won’t be needed Sky router at all with FTTH. You’ll be able to plug new Mesh router directly to “fibre socket” ( ONT).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

Ok legend I'm obviously thinking of the old DSL days. That's brilliant thanks for the update

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

You'll need the PPPoE user/password for your specific ISP (sounds like you're sticking with Sky), and you'll need to set the VLAN ID to 10 manually when setting up the Mesh router connecting directly to the ONT. I use a bunch of Asus equipment (1 AiMesh Router + 2 AiMesh Satellite nodes). Fairly straightforward

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

Excellent thanks for the reply. Probably will stay with sky at least initially. Where do I find the ppoe etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

When the NBI installer comes, you should be able to ask them for it. It's normally a common user/password for all customers for a given ISP.

• Advertisement
Advertisement