Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Marathon

• 01-04-2022 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I didn't see a discussion on this sorry if I missed it.

Did anyone from Ireland get a place?

I was very surprised to get a place in the lottery. I thought it was an impossible task, but I register every year just in case.

Has anyone here every done it before? I'd like tips on where to stay etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

Did it about 6 years ago. Stayed in Manhattan, Upper East Side.. about 75th st if memory serves me. Tube straight down to the ferry early (everything on the day is EARLY) in the morning and bus on the other side to the start. All of what I can tell you is available online, but wear warm stuff is probably the most important tip. You'll be out on Staten island for a couple of hours and depending on the weather, it can be cold. I mean it's Oct/Nov so even a good year is going to be chilly. Bring old stuff that you can leave there; they collect and give to the less fortunate, so you don't feel bad. Start is a bit funny, big uphill for half a mile followed by big downhill for the same. Don't go mad on either, it's much too early. The bridges are fookers if you're looking for a time. I'd say to get 2.59 you'd want to be in 2.55 condition. I was going for the former and got 3.04. That last climb up 5th ave before you head in to Central Park, well I was done by then anyway, but you'd want a solid training block behind you to cope with that. About twenty blocks of a decent uphill drag.

I wouldn't look to get the earliest ferry over to Staten Isl. You can also get a bus all the way from Manhattan. Don't quite know how that works. If you're looking for a target time, don't do tourist crap the day or two before and try to get in and out of the bib pick up nice and quickly.

Tried posting this last week but ended up deleting it.

With regard to staying in town or Queens: Red or Green lines for Manhattan, Yellow lines in Queens, either will get you within a couple of mins of the Staten Island Ferry terminal on the morning.

It's the best way to go, when I did it got a lift in from Long Island to the ferry and it was a nice way to get across, the bus journey is long and leaves quite early.

Take your time getting out there as already said as the place is baltic. Ferry is about 20 mins and bus another 15 once you get off the boat. Even if you aren't God fearing duck into a tent for Sunday service and it'll keep you warmer.

As for the route:

• Hide behind someone tall on the Verrazzano but stay far enough back to take in the view on the way back down.
    • Fourth Avenue in Brooklyn goes on forever so just tuck into a group and relax
    • Lafeyette Avenue is a highlight with huge crowds and a canopy of trees lining the street
    • In Brooklyn watch out also for the Hasidic Jews sprinting across the street randomly
    • Pulaski bridge is a main highlight as you get a great view of south Manhattan on the way up the ramp, also the half way point.
    • Queensboro bridge is a nice climb but the run down into 1st Avenue is something like entering a sports arena I'd say, a wall of sound.
    • First Avenue is never-ending but gets nicely quiet up near the bridge to the Bronx.
    • Central Park is full of rolling hills while heading south until the turn for Central Park south, from then it's a wall of sound again to the finish line

All in all a great event, don't know how people even mention London in the same breath, it has a bit of everything, climbing, a lot of climbing, wind, cold, often sunny, great crowds, huge support from medical aid and drinks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 IGraRunning

Thank you both for your input. This is great info. I'm usually OK at sorting through the information online but finding this one a bit tougher for whatever reason. There are different opinions on the ferry v bus situation but I'm leaning toward the ferry and moreso now. I've noticed how long the morning before you even get to the start line seems to be. That could be a killer.

I didn't even consider staying in Queens but that might not be a bad shout. I've stayed in a great Airbnb there before so I might check if that's available. Plan is to pretend I'm not in New York the day before so no touristy stuff so Queens ideal for that also. I always have a slight obsession around pre-race food and prefer an apartment for that reason, relying on hotel breakfasts could end in disaster so an apartment would be better for that reason.

I have to re-think a few other planned races now, including DCM, which is financially a pain in the ass but I figure this is falls into the 'once in a lifetime' category so I'd be crazy not to take it.

I have plenty of hills where I live, I just need to not turn left to avoid them as tempting as it can be :D

I was considering heading back home the night of the race, there's a late flight out. I'm back in NY at Christmas so didn't feel the need to hang around, but would you recommend staying the night there? Is there a good post-race atmosphere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Just wondering if there is a case to be made for staying on Staten Island the night before. Doable or not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

i just happened to be in NYC when the marathon was on before. other than seeing lots of people wandering around with the medals afterwards there did not seem to be much of an atmosphere , city is so big people disperse and blend in to the background very easily.

Would agree with that.

Take in the locals and the fact tourists are well scattered there is no gathering as such.

Look out for a show or Knicks tickets, Knicks schedule won't be available until late September or early October for next season.

Bus tour the day after or one of the TV/film set bus tours are good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 IGraRunning

Thanks for the update about the night after activities, or lack thereof. I think coming home is probably what I'll end up doing. Big feed in Tony Di Napolis and then straight to the airport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

We stayed an extra few days after the marathon, went to the outlet centre the day after and bought loads.

We went with the sports travel company but I had my own entry so wasn't too expensive, they had us staying in the Westin near Times Sq.

They had a party the night after the race also, didnt go to it but still something.

Sports Travel might be expensive(havent checked) but they do everything really well in fairness to them

Advertisement