Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I sell

• 01-04-2022 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all

I'm after getting my 2011 Toyota Auris (202,000km) serviced by the dealership for the low price of €1000! (service charge+ filters, lights, brake lines, alternator and brake fluid)

Obviously this is a crazy fee for a regular service.

I only drive it 100km a week at most and only drive at the weekends. I'm wondering if I'd be better off to upgrade due potential high maintenance costs or just hold onto it.

Obviously car prices are crazy right now, but hypothetically I could get a 2017 Skoda Octavia for €14,000.

I'd appreciate your views on what's best as I'm clueless enough about cars.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd say you would be better off not bringing an 11 year old car to a main dealer for maintenance. A main dealer will charge very high labour costs and will fit OEM parts whether the car is 1 year old or 11 years old. With an 11 year old car, find a good indy garage or mechanic to carry out regular maintenance for a fraction of the price of a main dealer. If your only doing 100km a week I cannot see the logic in spending 14k on a newer car to do the same. It's not like the Octavia won't need maintenance either.

At 100km a week your mileage is around 3 years before needing another service. Let's say you get it serviced in two years for the sake of an argument. €500 per year trouble free driving is nothing to be sniffed at. If the interior is getting a bit worn, get it detailed profesionally, you'd be surprised at how many people fall back in love with their cars following on from this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

A new alternator is a repair rather than a service so some one off costs there. Spending 14k won't save you money. My 2017 Octavia just needed a 1000 euro repair so better the devil you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 CuriousCat!

That makes alot of sense @bazz26, thanks. I think I'll need to go that route so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

You have a good car keep it but find a good reliable private mechanic... i just recently got my car serviced and two components replaced for €250... Labour cost €92.50... My car Avensis pretty much same as yours...

• Advertisement
Advertisement