Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing thorny bushes & getting rid of grass

Options
  • 03-04-2022 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Apologies for a few newbie gardener questions. I just cut long grass without collecting it and gathered and spread it on nearby bushes. Is this ok or is there an easier solution (besides collecting and putting it in a bin)? Also I spent some time cutting thorny stems that were growing through trees and plants but ended with itchy and bleeding hands and arms (as usual), despite wearing gloves. Can anyone suggest better protective clothing for thorn bush removal as most gloves nowadays are lightweight and don't really protect. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Only real way to get rid of briars and thorns is with a pick and take the roots up, or they will grow. Its hard work but satisfying.

Wear an old jumper, pair of jeans and wellies. That sorts you out mostly. For the hands, find a pair of welding gloves. They're ususally at the army & navy stores. Absolute gold for grabbing briars.

The odd one does get through, nothing is 100%, but its much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Welding gloves are good in that they cover your wrists and lower arms, but for thornproof-ness a pair of the thornproof gloves such as these https://www.safetygloves.co.uk/briers-ultimate-suede-gauntlets.html will save your skin.

For uprooting brambles invest in a mattock, brilliant piece of kit for heavy duty gardening.

Grass - presumably you spread it as a mulch under the bushes, which is fine. You might be as well to start a compost heap or bin though - put in grass mixed with layers of dead leaves, weeds and uncooked/non meat veg peelings and scraps.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Logo

Thanks looksee - I will check those gloves out. As for the grass, the area isn't too big so I'm just spreading the cuttings over the hedges - and it seems to work to keep lawn free from grass and the cuttings disappear after a while... I've tried composting but rodents were a problem...

Advertisement