Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Note Post #1 - The 2022 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,511 ✭✭✭irishgeo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

It was on the news and Marty was the reporter, a result of Sunday, The GAA let it run and now they have lost control it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Patrick Kelly is a rookie and might not even start the next day after scoring just a point against a loose marking Armagh. Tierney on Sunday and the Connacht final played in midfield and had his best game for Galway since the spring. Heaney plays as much in defence as forward but has the eye for the goal. Finnerty can be hit of miss and that's the first time i recall him having two good championship games in a row does that say more about the way Armagh,Roscommon defended? i suppose we'll soon find out against a more organised Derry.

Comer and Walsh are Galway's two best and most consistent forwards. Its the business end of the championship now and this will be their opportunity to prove they are as good as the top class forwards Galway had the last time they won the All Ireland (Joyce,Donnellan,Fallon etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I'm surprised that many pundits see Derry as the real deal. I can't say I've been too impressed. Yes, on paper they beat great teams but Tyrone were very bad this year. Monaghan are on a steep decline and Donegal are very inconsistent and their tactics were horrible in the ulster final, yet still made it to extra time.

Everything has pretty much gone to plan all year. They haven't had a 4 or 5 point deficit where they needed to open up a bit to get back in it. Clare were never going to cause them any problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭Rosita

It is hard to imagine any of the other three semi finalists scoring only 13 points against Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Would the other 3 have scored 5 goals against Clare? Regardless opposition scoring 18 times and conceding just 10 times is decent days works for All Ireland quarter final.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Kerry scored 1-28 against Limerick in the Munster final. They seemed to have made a conscious decision not to go for goals. They definitely put the ball over the bar when there was goals on ( two on one situations). Limerick scored 8 points

Dublin scored 5-17 against Kildare. Kildare would be way better than Clare. Admittedly they conceeded 1-15.

It puts the Derry Clare result in context

Slava Ukrainii

Kildare way better? both will Div 2 next year and Clare have beaten Kildare in their last few meetings.

Would be debatable who's better Clare or Cork and Dubs and Kerry scored no goal against Cork.

Dublin 21 scores v Cork and conceded 10

Kerry 23 scores v Cork and conceded 11

Derry 18 scores v Clare and conceded 10

That's some more context and Dublin,Kerry are ranked far higher in quality than Derry.

Kerry scored 29 against Limerick and conceeded 8. Limerick beat Clare in the the first round of the Munster championship.

There are lies damm lies and statics. Derry too every scoring chance they had against Clare. Kerry and Dublin would have been doing physical training building up stamina and strength during the Munster er and Leinster championship.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,572 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Would the rest have score 5 goals v Clare? Quite possibly if they were inclined to go for goals I'd say. But it's guesswork really isn't it?

The concern would be that on other days against a less porous defence goal scoring might not be so reliable. While on the face of it 18 scores is decent its unusual that almost a third of them were goals. Realistically they'll probably have to threaten 18 points to have a realistic chance of winning their other games. And that's before adding a goal or two.

That's all that was being said. Not that they didn't play well on Sunday.

Post edited by Rosita on

How can you not see the context? Kildare were in a higher division than Clare in the League, and Limerick knocked Clare out of the Munster championship before annihilation against Kerry.

Teams at least as good as Clare conceded more scores against Kerry and Dublin than Derry managed to get. That's the context.

It's a lot of ifs and maybes. Team A beating team B by 5 points and team C beating team B by 10 points does not mean team C will beat team A by 5 points.

And is not thinking that Derry putting 5 goals as unique a lot of if and maybe's as well. Good result but hardly anything special.

In 2001 I think Meath hammered Kerry ,2-14 to 5 points in an All Ireland semi final. One of the biggest defeats Kerry every got at that stage of the series. Kerry had been favourite to win as they won the year previously. Guess who won the All Ireland Galway.

It's funny but 14 man Galway hurlers beat Kilkenny in the SF, they were red hot favourite after that Cork won the All Ireland.

Slava Ukrainii

Not sure there's too many ifs and maybes to be honest. Reasonable comparison with two counties (Dublin & Kerry) who played teams at least as good as Clare at the weekend and racked up a far bigger number of scores. Now, maybe Derry are set up in a way (defensively solid) that scoring less won't matter as much but I did think 13 points was a low enough total in a game where Derry played well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭spurshero

It’s a silly debate … Derry scored early goals so didn’t need to go too hard for points … they were never in any danger of not winning … I’m sure they could have tagged on more points if needed … like there total score was 28 points no matter what way you look at it.. 5 13 .

Different teams play differently against each other and then there are pressure factors like Limerick in a final against Kerry. Each game also has its own story when it comes to how much a team need to push on.

Kerry beat a team that beat a team and Dublin beat a team that are probably better than a team who lost to Derry isn't much to go on.

Are Kerry and Dublin better than Derry yes they very likely are. Is it proven by last week's "evidence" no.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

That's exactly it - kildare notched up a decent score against dublin but the game was over after 15 mins - were they really playing against a fully committed dublin after that? Were they fully committed themselves?

Same goes for the munster final, Kerry tagged on lots of scores but weren't really flat out.

Silly to expect to be able to compare two results on a like for like basis, there are far too many variables go into any result

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It was like one of those early 1900’s score Lines. Derry just ended up having fun. It was slightly different to the game Dublin played against Kildare. In that Dublin had to be wary of the Kildare firepower.

But the games were similar in that both games were killed early on as contests. It was more of a novelty for Derry than it is for Dublin to be coasting against lesser teams in CP. So could hardly blame Derry for just having fun. Derry crowd were loving it as well.

I got to say though having seen Clare and Cork. Munster is a ridiculously handy province for the champions elect, and bookies favourites Kerry.

IMO Munster football is weaker than even Leinster overall. And having a div1 team there with the best panel in the country really highlights the inequity of the provincials system.

It is even worse when looking at the treacherous route Derry have taken in Ulster.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I was thinking as well why do I enjoy the QF/SF? Invariably it is div1 sides or sides pushing for div1. With a knockout aspect. Normally competitive games. Plus by that stage most people have forgotten about the 3 incidental provincial championships. Almost as if they never happened!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Okay, so they just weren't bothered to score more because they weren't needed? Yeah, probably keeping their cards close to their chest. Interesting theory. Not sure it's a "silly debate" by the way - seems reasonable to me. If Dublin scored just 13 points against Cork people would probably be surprised. In fact they scored 11 points in the second half alone. Mayo were considered poor against Kerry and scored 13 points too. That's the standard by which teams will be judged. Its hardly silly. Not even remotely silly I think. Just thought it was a point worth making. Not everyone has to agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭franglan

Anyome know why the sold out capacity on Sunday was 71K huge demand for the game and nally or parts of the hill weren't open, no tickets on ticketmaster from Wednesday onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Treble double

You could make an argument that Ulster is the weakest province because if you put the strongest team from any of the other provinces into it they would be hot favourites to win it every year. A Dublin in Ulster for a few years and it would be equally as bad as the Leinster championship. A Kildare or a Meath or even a Westmeath would be very competitive in the Ulster Championship.

Ulster is overhyped, there are teams of similar ability in it which makes it competitive but there are no really outstanding teams in it that would consistently challenge for All Irelands like Kerry, Dublin and Mayo from the other 3.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,968 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

MOD UPDATE

Last week end was a busy one in the GAA Forum ( well over 1000 posts on Sunday alone ) and this thread in particular.

Plenty of Bans were handed out and Admin - @Mickeroo - delved a little deeper to find that.....

Buff Egan

maam cross

Cliffyy

Roy Ferguson

Achillies Knee

Jonah Tali Lomu

_NAGDEFY

.... were all in fact the Same Poster.

They are of course all SiteBanned now.

New Posters are of course Always welcome on Boards but the above Nonsense ruins a discussion based site like Boards.

There are only 2 Active Mods on this Forum, we do not see All the posts, so Please simply Report any post rather than engage with a poster you think is Trolling.

Go raibh maith agaibh!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭dobman88

TV crew set up in the Nally. Don't know about the rest

Was there demand for Nally or hill tickets. I be very slow buying a Nally ticket to a quarter final.

A lot of people taking children to these games. The hill is pretty useless to them. I am not sure if they even give a child concession on the hill

Slava Ukrainii

Banty departs the Monaghan managers hot seat.

Derry scored 18 times from 31 shots on goal against Clare. Clare was missing a few important players for that Limerick game, they went on to knock out Roscommon while Limerick lost to Cork.

And for comparison Dublin 21 scores from 30 shots against Cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

The 4 provincial champions making up the semi's so maybe the the provincial championship system isn't as antiquated as many would have us believe.

Galway should beat Derry if they have learned their lessons. They did everything they could the last day to allow Armagh back into the game, again and again. And ended up staggering over the line.

Personally I think kerry should squeeze past Dublin unless the Dubs can score 2 or 3 goals. They won't win without goals.

If that comes to pass it'll give us a Kerry Galway final, there normally great games. Like that QF years ago in an absolute deluge.

Advertisement