Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Note Post #1 - The 2022 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,983 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Monaghan and Tyrone, two First Division teams went out of the Championship on the 4th of June and will not play again for seven months. Will players commit to that in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,699 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It may be tinkered with but it will not change back. The problem is you would have to go back to a split IC season. You are back again to county managers refusing to release county players, arranging team holidays during April and county executive 's afraid to challenge them.

As for the replay BS,. next year every team will have three round robin games and you will have peliminary QF for 2nd and 3rd placed team.

Replays would be the end of the championship for most winning teams with a 7-8 day turnaround to next match.

For yourself start to follow your local club

Believe it or not players are delighted with it. There whole year is no longer dominated by there IC scheduled. It's now 7-8 months rather than 9-10. They can schedule family events during The club season. If there club season ends early they have a couple of months of freedom

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 15,278 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Calling them morons is harsh.

The championship schedule has been a topic of hot debate for years.

A championship running from early May to late September with 3 weeks to a month between games for some teams was not ideal either.

And as for the no replays, have people already forgotten all the "Grab All Association" tropes when games finished level?

I'm not a fan of the condensed schedule, but I'm not going to blame anyone for trying it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

As somebody who fell in love with Football after the Dublin v meath 1991 replay saga, I can’t get on board with no replays, even with a round robin. Like Armagh v Galway being decided on penos, it’s a terrible way to end such obsorbing games and a real shame people won’t get to see another great game. Replays usually involve close games that everybody wants to see. Round robins don’t make the game anymore exciting , certainly as an alternative to replays.

I don’t know anybody who liked the idea of changing the championship calendar so radically and cancelling replays. Maybe hardcore club men love it, maybe some players do aswell and maybe it’s because me and my friends aren’t as involved in our clubs as we were when younger, but I could never see how it was going to enhance the tournament. It’s a pile of sh*t like this, maybe that’s just me but I can’t see how anybody thought it would be a success in that format.

• Advertisement

The problem with replays at playoff stages is that there will be two weeks between rounds

The winning team involved in a replay will be out three Sundays in a row. They will not win the third Sunday unless in a miss match.

After whining over the need for replays the next whining would be the need for a rest period.

Slava Ukrainii

Meath played a game nearly every week on the way to the 1991 final. Let them whine, don’t change the entire calendar because it doesn’t suit some teams.

How hard is it for teams to play a game every 7 days? They have to do it at club level, particularly in Dublin where it’s fairly intense. Thems the breaks in sport, some of the rules suit some teams some of the time and other times it doesn’t but everybody has to deal with the same rules at the start of the tournament , get on with it.

Clubs were being strangled to death by the IC season. County boards could not put in place championship fixtures. They still needed to finish competitions not involving county players by early July in most counties other than those that could be fairly sure they would be still be involved.

The championship of the weaker code in a county could be started before the stronger code finished or the game fixed for the Saturday after the county team exited.

Most of the whining and whinging going on is by Pundits, some journalists and people who only attend IC games.

At club level previous to this the training season started in a January and could could end up it going on all year long. Now it starts in mid March and players know when championship starts and can arrange holidays around this

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 26,572 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Replays are great in a romantic sort of way and I loved the Limerick vs Tipp 3 in a row but they were neighbours like Dublin and Meath.

Imagine Kerry and Donegal had to do 4 games on the road. Limerick vs Galway cost me 70 tickets/travel + food and drink so I can understand people not being happy to walk away from that with no resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

It's so wrong for the finals to be in July. They should be in September.

Also worth remembering that the world cup should be on now so it's going to be competing directly with the world cup in future.

Then you'll have the euros every 4 years too. People going on holidays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I think it's worth waiting until we complete the entire calendar before complaining about it. The club championship should be greatly improved by it (altough I'm not sure why Mayo are waiting until Sept to start ours) and I think most GAA fans will appreciate that

I don't see why September really makes a difference except for "that's how it always was so that's best" old man shouting at cloud stuff.

Going back to September means running the club game without the intercounty players because what was happening the club players (who are the vast majority of players) was a load of sht.

We haven't even got to the club championship yet and all change is written off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

If cork had beaten Dublin the attendance at cork Kerry this weekend wouldn’t have been great . Maybe 40k?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

This arguement that its great for the clubs doesn't really hold water most counties haven't even started their club championship yet? Why not? We're told we have to cut back the intercounty championship rush it all off in a few weeks to benefit the club game and championships yet they're all waiting till August/September to start anyway like they would have before. The intercounty championship should be given priority it is the main event after all.

There's just too many games for a player to play both county and club.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Replays provide great drama on the day for fans but it's a disaster from a scheduling perspective and not fair on the players. It's at semi final now, so if there were a couple of replays then one team would be a lot more worn out than the other which is not what you want for. We already had the scenario in the super 8s, where teams coming through the qualifiers had 4 or 5 games played in quick succession whereas the stronger provincial winners had a few weeks off and were fresh as daisies.

I'm looking back at the scheduling here and picked 1997, which was disrupted by kildare and Meath playing 3 games (2 replays) in leinster. Offaly won leinster by 8pts that year, playing meath who had played Kildarex3 and Dublin already. Kerry won the all ireland that year after playing just 4 games: 29th June, 20th July, 24th August and 28th September. It's mental to have the season that spread out

The scheduling is going to be a lot worse next year and especially for the Ulster teams.

Ulster

QF, SF and Final v tough teams and potentially a preliminary round too.

The team that loses in the final will be 2nd seed, so expected to finish 2nd in the round robin. That means they need to play

R1, R2, R3 of the round robin and then a play off for the quarter finals.

Then a QF, SF, Final of the AI.

That's 10 games for an Ulster team.

Ulster teams who want to win the AI will now play at LEAST 9, with a maximum of 11 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

I don’t think major sporting events, euros, world cups etc, interfere with the GAA championship. Just adds to the list of what to watch. July Vs September thing I’ve no real opinion on, I’d watch or go to games either way, no real nostalgia feeling for me with September either.

The soccer, rugby, tennis, Tour de France are always waiting in the long grass if you ask some GAA fans.

I saw a documentary about North Mon in Cork from back in the 90s and a coach is worried that tennis and basketball are gonna to lure away all the kids.

I don't think there is any actual stats that back up a drop in GAA during a World Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Don't talk sh1te about things you know nothing about. Kildare's record at minor/u17 and u21/20 level over the last 15 years is excellent and there's very good work being done at underage in this county. Problem is playing moneybags Dublin every year in their own back yard and getting duly hammered turns lads off once they get to senior level. They go travelling and generally are not going to give the commitment when the lads up the road are handed every advantage, and who can blame them.

Blaming Meath and Kildare is a cop out, no one wants to discuss the blatent bias the GAA show towards Dublin.

Get rid of these supid provincial championships for good, they're a joke and have been for a long time.

You don't think, that's for sure.

If Ireland are playing at the Euros or WC you don't think it would affect attendance or viewers?

I mean we literally have evidence to show that when the GAA decided to go up against Ireland v Scotland and Leinster in the European Cup Final only this year!

Not to mention, when in 2016, the Leinster SF was up against Ireland v France at Euro 2016. Honestly, it's mental that the GAA see a crowded environment and think "ME TOO"!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Yeah, that's the reason you can't bate decent teams, cos Dublin are too good 😂

I hope they do away with the provincials just so Meath and Kildare will have to come up with some new excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Ireland playing in euros or World Cup is at this stage an extraordinary event, not something regular, a once off, let’s be honest. The GAA have enough wherewithal to work around a situation like that. I’m old enough to remember going to dr Cullen park in 2002, we played Wexford after Ireland played Cameroon in the World Cup that morning. It was very messy with lads out of their box but it had zero impact on attendance, ground was packed, if anything it added to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Funny, ye weren't very good 15 years ago before the GAA pumped €19m into Dublin GAA over 5 years. Next nearest county Cork got €2.5m over that same 5 year period.

But yeah.. it's all Kildare and Meath's fault.

Delusional.

About which bit ?

The Cork fella is true and I think the stats might be but open to correction.

Kildare and Meath are single code counties. Galway a dual county was struggling at Football 7-10 years ago. They changed structures and are now a much stronger football team. They will probably reach an AI football final this year

The success at underage should actually mean it should have being easier for Kildare and Meath to transition. Do I agree with the Dublin funding model no I do not. But both Meath and Kikdare have themselves to blame for a lot of there issues.

Cork is in the same boat in both codes. The former County Secretary refused to change to academy structures when all the evidence pointed to that.

For the last ten years Leinster counties have been unwilling to put any challenge to Dublin. TBF Kildare actually beat them.in the league this year. They were unlucky not to retain D1 status. This was mainly down to only three home games. Next year's league will be interesting in that Galway and Roscommon will have four home games. Galway will definitely survive. Roscommon will struggle but the extra home game may allow them to survive.

Kerry Armagh, Monoghan and Tyrone all have only three. Monoghan will probably definitely go down and I would say Armagh or Roscommon

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

So that's why Kildare can't beat any of the top tier teams? What province would Kildare be winning titles in? Ulster? Nope. Munster? Nope. Connaught? Nope

• Advertisement

What big game was affected by the Ireland and Leinster match ?

If it's Dublin vs Kildare you are talking about I think the rest of the season shows it was no rugby match that has caused the drop in Dublin fans.

I wouldn't be a fan of having a big championship game the same time as any big Ireland game as I like all those sports but overall GAA attendance holds steady on World Cup and Euros years.

Advertisement