Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Note Post #1 - The 2022 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,393 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Yes against a team that won 8 all ireland in ten years.

Not a division 3 side

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Kildare scored 1-15 against the Dubs, more than Kerry!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,494 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The GAA rule book explicitly states that a category 3 infraction includes "Behaving in any way which is dangerous to an opponent".

If you want to make a complete fool of yourself you can pivot to try and claiming that doesn't mean a duty of care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

I haven't heard anyone mentioning Costello taking out G O'Sullivan in the air with a nasty shot from behind into the ribs badly winding him. It would even be a red in rugby. Lucky the ref missed it. Now that was reckless and dangerous no where near the ball. Just a cheap shot that he got away with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Seanie oshea has both feet off the ground when his left foot connects with Comerford - his left was sailing through the air after hitting the ball with his right and comerford is diving down at the same time. Comerford deserves more praise for the bravery he showed - SOS was coming in full pelt, ball was loose and comerford dived straight in. "Putting your head where others wouldn't put a shovel" as they say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭dobman88

Yep, looked nasty enough on replay. It was Foley he took out. Foley jumped up to palm the ball down and Costello came in with his arm straight into the ribs and absolutely no intention to play the ball.

It's a definite card and foul if the ref sees it but those things balance out over the course of a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Is that not the point though - he knew Comerford was down on the ground and he went 100% in to strike the ball as if Comerford wasn't in the way and in a vulnerable position. He's entitled to go for the ball but he also needs to be aware of endangering his opponent also. That's why I'd have it as a yellow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Perhaps it’s Galway bias, but I don’t think they are getting the respect they deserve.

Despite seven minutes of madness, Galway have been comfortably the best side in Connacht/Ulster this year, having been up by six points plus in every championship game.

Paul Conroy aside, they have a young team, the oldest defender is 27 and that defence is improving every day (notwithstanding crazy finish to Armagh game).

Kerry are favourites as they should be but they won’t get it soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭pgj2015

There seems to be a lot of rules not enforced, like you are supposed to fist the ball over the bar with a closed fist I think and is it me or is every player picking the ball off the ground illegally? I though your foot has to make contact with it before your hands?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

You forgot about the other periods of madness in the Mayo and Roscommon x2 games this year. Armagh wasn't an isolated incident.

I think Galway will get an easy ride into the final by the media - lovely forwards - tradition - etc. - with very little real analysis of their strengths and weaknesses. In any case all the pressure is all on Kerry, Galway literally have nothing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Galway literally have nothing to lose.

Except the final

• Registered Users Posts: 26,572 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Maybe if Kerry win this they will kick on and win a good few but right now there is nothing to suggest they are unbeatable.

Are Galway really that much worse than the Tyrone team that beat Kerry last year.

Sport would be awful boring if you can't go to a final thinking your team might actually win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mayo were always going to come with a surge, Galway rarely win by much than a score in Castebar. I wouldn’t equate them kicking five points in the last twelve or thirteen minutes with the Armagh madness.

Finish to the Roscommon game disappointing for sure, but they literally got a goal with the last kick of the game, thirty seconds over the allotted six minutes. There was never any fear of Galway not winning.

The defence is improving all the time and shut down what had been a prolific Derry attack.

No argument that Kerry should be favourites but expect a close game.

As for nothing to lose, I doubt that will be the view of Joyce and co but obviously many people will look at it that way.

I wouldn't say your biased or that they are not getting the credit they deserve,

It's just the way it is particularly with a young team, they haven't set the world on fire scoring wise or beaten any of the big teams, plus if they were already knocking on the door for a few years! You would say that experience would stand to them and they would be ready for the next step.

However nobody is doubting there talent or more importantly their ceiling if they can get there heads right in tight games against top quality opposition, they can't properly close games out and there full back line is all at sea under the high ball. A better team could make hay against that.

These are questions that they will have to answer like everyone else. They have made massive strides this year but are still green in allot of areas. If they can do all that you would think they certainly have an all ireland in um but maybe it's too soon for them this year

Antrim scored 3-9 on 1989 all Ireland that would have won plenty of all irelands but they lost by 20 points.

Lenister final was over fairly quick in all fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

True, but still the top 2 teams in country by distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

Kerry have 2 exceptional forwards in O'Sé and especially Clifford.

However a case could be made that the 6 forwards aren't as good a unit as Kerry 2004-09. Geaney doesn't do much now. O'Brien isn't anything to write home about, Dara Moynihan good but nothing special. Paudie Clifford is a good forward.

15 years ago you had Gooch, Donaghy, Declan O'Sullivan, Galvin, O'Cinneide, Sheehan etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭anglesorangles

Hence those boys having multiple all irelands and jury still very much out on the new lads.

• Advertisement

There is a lot of truth in that. Tomas O'Se, Mick McCarthy, Mark O'Se, O'Mahony proved themselves as backs. I'd have Darragh O'Se over any of the present midfielders too. He was a great man for the big day. Kenneally was a serious pro to add in 2009. Young Tommy Walsh could field ball.

With any team the jury is always out until that first All Ireland is won.

Seen as they had cameras etc in Croke Park yesterday I thought a 2 min clip of the Junior Final between Kilkenny and New York could have been shown. I've never seen Kilkenny play football on the telly and I'm not far off 50!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

A couple of posters should take off the blue tinted glasses....

Dangerous play is certainly NOT well defined. In fact it's not defined at all..... Check it out for yourself.

(The same goes for a melee -no definition in the rule book and players have gotten off on that very technicality. )

The ball wasn't at his body there are two players going for the same ball both moving towards the ball.

If we're going to really get technical it should have been a retake as the keeper has moved off his line before the ball is struck.

Regardless the connection with the head is incidental contact which is permitted, in fact specifically mentioned in the rules. If you watch the video you can see him losing his balance as a result of his right foot landing on Comerfords outstrecthed hand and when he makes contact with his left boot theres no recoil from Comerfords head - there would be if it was a kick.

You don't seem to understand the rules of the game. Just because something is a foul doesn't mean its a card. There's no assault - that's at best a farcical statement. There's no dropping of the knee to someones head.

I'm presuming you're actually just trying to wind Kerry supporters up given that you've twice mentioned David Gough who wasn't refereeing, nor even a linesman.

Why not be balanced and call for a red card for Fenton who put his arm around a Kerry players neck from behind to drag him away from his opponent in the seconds after this incident? That's deliberate, and dangerous. (To be fair to Fenton he appeared to realise and stopped and moved done to his arms

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Gael85

Too be fair O'Shea and the Cliffords stood up in last 10 minutes. Gooch and Declan O'Sullivan disappeared in a lot of tight games for Kerry. Clifford and O'Shea will both better Gooch scoring record by time finish up playing.

Two great forwards, i'm not denying. But if Gooch and O'Sullivan went missing you had Donaghy, Galvin etc. I think 15 years ago they had a better 6 forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I stole this off Reddit, taken just before Sean O'Se's free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Exactly right. You have nothing to lose in a final, until you lose it. The same media who built you up have f all to do at that point except get stuck into you for the next few months.

Walsh is a great player with devastating ability, but he makes a mistake in a tightish final and they lose - even if they are outsiders - and he will be picked apart in snidey articles until christmas. Same with comer and whoever else.

Indeed michael fitzsimons will probably get a bit of it in the off season, maybe a few more pulled in for good measure. Im surprised the dub fans dont seem to realise this at this stage, thet seen ourselves get plenty of it after simply losing a big game that we werent even favourites for. That is how the media works these days. They are full of sh*te but you have to just grin and bear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Was watching highlights of the final in 2013. The game has changed so much. Far less kicking nowadays. Teams are far better at retaining the ball around the 45 passing it around. It's not something that was really done back then.

Kickouts were very different. All defenders pretty much stood still, even the dubs. Cuxton would either play an accurate pass through the lines or send one long to the wing.

But nowadays whenever there's a score or wide the keeper is sprinting out with the ball looking for the quick one. That wasn't done back then.

Now everyone stands in the centre and they all make runs looking to get free to the wings.

You don't even notice these changes year on year but a decade, it shows how drastic the changes are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

I think it is mad that people are saying kerry have 2 top forwards. It was geaney that kept them out of hot water when others werent in it against mayo. Ironically enough, i would bet that it will be the likes of geaney who will be the difference against galway.

Galway will probably set up very defensively and double up on sos and clifford, with kerrys other forwards being too good to be left idle and popping up for scores. Galway can also be over-zealous in the tackle and i think kerry will be cute enough to engineer frees from it.

• Advertisement

I think it was yourself saying O'Se's free wasn't a pressure one, like a leveller. I'd agree. Hero if you score and if it drops short or goes wide it was a shot to nothing. Now granted given the fatigue etc it was some score.

Advertisement