Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Note Post #1 - The 2022 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭crossman47

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Yes 100%. It was last kick of the game so no chance for Dublin to go up and win the game. Also far enough out that he wasn't expected to score it. If he missed it then everyone would have said it was a tall order.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

Totally agree. The 35-45m leveller is pressure!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,699 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

That was a huge kick. I disregard goalie taking frees. No goalie will have spend nearly eighty minutes running up and down the pitch. His legs must have been like jelly

Next the atmosphere. He was kicking into hill sixteen with booing jeering and movement etc going on. There was 3-5 Dublin forwards as legally near the kick all waving there hands. I do not thing that happened for the mayo kick last year. The Mayo goalie got a second chance.

Finally there was the kick its self. I saw it from behind on the Sunday game. There seem to have been a high strong breeze. It effect both teams shooting into that goal yesterday it was blowing right to left. He drove the ball out to the right and let the wind bring it back it. He seemed to drive it very far right of the posts. That too skill and understanding. Normally a lot more of player aim it straight down the middle and the win takes to the left and wide

The game was going to extra time. Dublin looked the stronger team at that stage. He would be factoring in that this kick would definitely win the game while extra time was not something Kerry wanted at that stage of the game.

Anybody that thinks it was not a pressure kick has not watched much football.

I posted a link so you could see it in all its context. Hope you enjoy it

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Rian O Neills kick had far more pressure. A kick to keep your team in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,572 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That's a class photo. There is literal nail biting in the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Fake news. That's a load of images of worried supporters from different matches just copied and pasted together.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

I presume RTE are showing club games after 24 July?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭dobman88

I saw that on twitter earlier. Meath footballers Emma Duggan, Vikki Wall and Aoibhin Cleary are in that photo too. Top right corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Clifford is without doubt a class player , and i have no doubt in my mind , if he can stay injury free will go on to be one of the all time greats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭MfMan

Rather unusual thing to say.

Re: scoring, open to correction, but Galway were the highest scorers across the 4 league divisions. In their 5 championship games to date they have scored 11-82, an average of 23 points per game; only in the Mayo game have they only goaled once. Last Saturday was their lowest total to date.

Re: beating the big teams, they've beaten the defeated AI finalists and Division 1 runners-up, Division 2 champions, Ulster champions and another Division 1 side. Not really much more they can do until the next match. This squad isn't a patch on the '98 team, but is similar in that both had a mixture of experienced, established and promising young talent which suddenly converged into a very good team that only gave the impression that it arrived overnight.

I hope this is wrong, but it may well be a year too soon. The age profile of the squad is not yet that high, bar Conroy and maybe Silke and Walsh, and a couple of significant injuries and absentees this year, (Mulkerrins, McLaughlin, Cooke, Hernon?) would strengthen the squad further next year. So there is good potential in the Galway squad for a few seasons ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Green Peter

It's when you become serial losers in finals that the media focus in on it, many good teams lose finals, often they bounce back and win one within a few years after learning from the experience, unfortunately Mayo just kept losing them and didn't seem to learn from their mistakes, hence the reason the media get on their back sometimes. But maybe like in 98 Galway will just grasp the opportunity and get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Its official photo from yesterdays match from James Crombie who is the 2021 & 2022 Irish Press Photographer of the Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,932 ✭✭✭doc_17

Going for a ball is not behaving dangerously to an opponent. Duty of Care is rugby talk.

I’d say Eoin Murchin squirmed a lot when he watched replays of Seán O’Shea’s goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

https://youtu.be/gyzwQ_v3T_M

Where does Eoin Murchan play for his club?

There are 3 Kerry players who pose a threat, he runs to the least threatening (who is marked) allowing O'Shea (in possession and the biggest threat) a free run at goal.

Something similar happened at opposite end shortly after (when Kilkenny made final pass but I can't remember who scored point) where the defender ran out leaving an open path to goal.

Is it a consequence of picking players good on the ball that they don't posses stopper/basic defending instincts? With all the quality on display I could believe the above happening and it had a massive influence on game.

If Murchan defends that properly I'm not sure Kerry win the game.

In the John Small incident and similarly Galligan of Cavan got send off against Westmeath for a very similar challenge. In both cases the player could have pulled out of the tackle. Both knew the ball was gone and the player vulnerable. However both also knew that pulling out of the challenge would hand possession to the opposition so they continued with the challenge. The other player did not move into there path. Thadgh Morley in a 2021 league game got send off for a similar but less dangerous version of the same tackle

In the incident with the penalty rebound you see in soccer all the time. It was incidental contact after the ball was kicked with his trailing foot. The only way you can totally prevent such contact is to have the ball considered dead after a penalty is taken. The quid quo pro would be any movement by the goalie off his line would be a yellow car offence.

EC playacting before the penalty would have influenced the refs decision. They will have to bring in a clock for the bin and stop it any time that there is a serious stoppage in play or when physio/ medical enters the pitch

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 27,983 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Have to agree with you. This was a huge kick and fair play to O'Shea for kicking it. As a free, it is probably second only to Cluxton's one.

It was the difference. When you look back at a couple of the Mayo games against Dublin over the last decade, and the crucial frees that Cillian O'Connor missed, then you can tell what is required to kick a free like that with the pressure.

• Advertisement

They are all second to Maurice Fitzgerald's kick in Thurles. That was the ultimate pressure kick with an opposite mentor screaming in your ear and moving parallel to you as you take the kick.

He was only on the pitch about 5-10 minutes. He was not taking frees that day and stood up to take it cold. Having fresh legs was an advantage but it was an awesome kick.

https://youtu.be/nT9aEauktzE

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 18,494 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

• Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The ball was not gone in the case of SOS, it was a split second before he kicked it that the keeper reached out and grabbed it along the ground. A second earlier and it could well have been up and over the keeper and in the back of the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,983 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

He misses that, we all go home and forget about it, it was only a quarter-final.

The context of a kick makes a difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYBFoI-fznE

I mentioned Cillian O'Connor. Look at this miss from the 2017 All-Ireland Final - 1:36 into the video. Hearing the announcement of extra time, Mick Fitzsimons in his ear, and he hits the post. Small margins, huge pressure, but that's what puts the free into a certain context.

So, while Fitzgerald's kick, and maybe even O'Shea's yesterday, may have been technically better than Cluxton's, Cluxton was putting 16 years of hurt behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,421 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

So in Maurice Fitz's kick, he had a mentor screaming in his face. COC had Fitzsimons in his ear for his, while Comerford was acting the maggot shaking the post on Sunday.

Very sporting from the Dubs in the heat of battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

There probably was more pressure on the cluxton alright I'll give you that. But in terms of difficulty! The 2 frees are worlds apart. There's been at least 2 frees this year alone that were far superior to cluxtons great effort.

I have no idea what that means. But anyway, best team won. Dublin were mad to play without a sweeper. But I don’t understand how Small got a black card? It looked like he pulled him back rather than down? Yeah it was cynical but so was Clifford’s pull and he got a yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

He was talking about comerford shaking the **** out of the post like an uncoordinated ageing pole dancer, as o'shea was taking the winning free kick.

Clifford's yellow was on awkward high tackle attempt on a player in possession. A foul and a yellow,

Small could have got the black for 2 reasons, deliberately and illegally stopping/blocking an opposition support player making a run, or more likely in this case pulling a player to the ground.

It's a pretty clear cut really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

The biggest problem for Dublin for me is they just don't have the subs anymore to change a game like they used to 3 + years ago the likes of Connolly Brogan Andrews Mannion McMenamin etc game off the bench real match winners in tight games the lack of quality off the bench was very apparent on Sunday if anything Kerry had the better bench with the likes of Moynihan and Spillane coming on.

As for the other game it was like having your teeth pulled out through your arse but that was largely Derrys fault and Galway had a tactical job to do to figure out the Derry system and beat it and to be fair to them from the 20th minute on or so they did that they'll give Kerry the full of their arse no doubt about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,572 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The whole "pulled down" wording is really stupid.

I have seen people arguing that some frees are not black because he pushed rather than pulled him to the ground.

Push, pulled, up, down, left, right at the end of the day it's impeding someone cynically.

Advertisement