Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Note Post #1 - The 2022 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I was saying that even before the league and was laughed at. No pace/movement is the other issue. When there is no Con it is really noticeable. This leads to lack of movement and slow side to side/backways stuff. Ironically having the best free taker in the country Dean Rock contributes to this as well because the fella can't run now. He has to be carried in games and does nothing from play. I would honestly take a 7/10 free taker who has pace and would rate 7 stars from play, instead of Rock.

Dublin needs pace in that forward line badly, otherwise Dublin are depending on backs such as Gannon and Murchan. Bugler does ok when he links with that side. But with an injury prone Con out, Dublin become easy to play against. Kerry now have an embarrassment of riches and can chop and change and there is no drop in quality.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

It's funny you remember that and it is well over 20 years ago. Yet did not reference another pressure kick in 'the heat of battle' which was much more recent - 2017 AIF final. When Lee Keegan unsportingly threw his GPS at Dean Rock on a free. They say that people who can only recall stuff from many decades ago, but if more recent memory is not as clear it could be a sign of health issues! I hope it is nothing serious! 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

A little disingenuous to suggest he threw it at him when that wasn't the case. It was a sneaky and desperate attempt by keegan to distract rock from the match and all ireland winning free kick. But that free kick wasn't a difficult kick for any inter County kicker in fairness. The correct side and central enough, also easily in rocks range so no forcing it. The fitzgerald kick was a whole other animal and is an iconic gaa moment, thus! More memorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,932 ✭✭✭doc_17

Yes. Those are cynical fouls but not all cynical fouls are blacks. The pulling to the ground wording was there because of the Seán Cavanagh type of foul. 50% of fouls I’d say are cynical. Can’t be giving blacks for them all. Ref bottled a Derry black card as well on Saturday when the forward tries to win a free by grabbing the hand and pulling the man down. He only gave a yellow. It’s farcical.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,572 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

If someone is through on goal and gets pulled down it's black but if he gets pushed or tripped it's not ?

The outcome is the same so the punishment should be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I remember the furore and the offence that the dubs took when it was revealed that Lee Keegan threw a little item to try to put Dean Rock off. Shocking stuff altogether. And I remember the proclamations that he should be ashamed of himself.

On Sunday, we had a grown man walk over to the goalposts, trying to shake the bejaysus out of it to distract SOS in his endevours to slot it over the bar. Thankfully it didn’t work. Extremely unsportsmanlike. How come the dubs are not up in arms about such behaviour. In fairness, Comerford must have felt like an awful tlt when he saw it sailing over, and one of the Kerry lads run over to him celebrating in his face.

And all these calls for a red cards for SOS – due to dangerous play, “duty of care” etc. I remember the Dublin supporters coming to the defence of John Small when he broke Eoghan McLaughlins jaw last year – that it wasn’t intentional, and it was just a badly timed tackle. There was no red card issued, and rightly so says the Dublin fans.

A psychological type question – when you have been following a team which has had so much success like the Dublin team, as a fan, do you get totally blinkered in your views when things take a downturn – like Strumms and JRant on this site. Is it some kind of defensive mechanism, or that cannot deal with reality. I don’t know, but it would be an interesting thesis for someone to undertake. 

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

+1

You forgot to mention the outrage and pearl clutching when Peter Crowley squirted water in the direction of Cormac Costelloe.

Those same posters had it down as a hanging offence or lengthy ban.

The lady doth protests too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Gael85

Small pulled Geaney back who then dived to ground. Should have yellow instead of black. Conor Lane strikes again.

Murchan plays centre back for Na Fianna. Dublin were missing a couple backs. Byrne and MacMahon came off bench should be there next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,421 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I know it was obvious at the time, but in hindsight, Kevin Mac in particular was some bench option to have. Nowhere near that available to them now, although Small did do well when he came on. I wonder could Murchan's pace be best utilised as another Jack at wing-back, or maybe even punching holes through the middle at CF while moving Kilkenny closer to goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Conor Lane strikes again.

Lane must have some influence then because it was referee Paddy Neilan who gave the card, which was correct.

Whether Geaney dived afterward or not, he was being held back and he would have been away when Kerry were attacking with lots of space. Cynical as they come.

Neilan didn't see. It was flagged by Lane who was linesman. It wasn't a black card offence. It was not a deliberate pull down..Geaney exaggerated the contact. Wasn't enough for Geaney to go down..

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭PadraigCoghlan

Hi, I am looking for 3 seated tickets for the all ireland football final. Been to every game but not part of a club so chances of getting some are slim. If any of ye know of anyone. Please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Murchan is only a short arse though, he would get minced out of it by backs if he was not running in space. Wing back would be a good spot for him though. Ideally what Dublin need now is a few Shane Ryan types - loads of pace, powerful athlete can play anywhere. Basically what Chris Crummey does for the Dublin hurlers. That would be my fast fix anyway, fellas that would work like mad non stop. Then a few subs that would do the same. Fellas that are not afraid to drive forward and draw players to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Geaney was getting pulled back when Kerry were counter attacking - if his man didnt pull him he would have been away.

Black card all day, the going down is irrelevant

Pulling player back is not a black card offence. He wasn't deliberately pulled to the ground. It a grey area which needed to be upgraded if any pulling should result in black card.

Your chances of getting them on here are next to nil.

Anyone who ends with any they don't want, will have plenty of people they know who they'd give them to, rather than selling them online.

I suppose you'll have to get a season ticket next year to avoid a repeat. Nobody needs to be involved with a club now.

Jayus are you or were you ever a county councillor or involved in politics?

Because that was a marvelously written post, with numerous opaque digs attached mixed with a faux concerned direct approach.

While at the same time minimising the wrong Lee Keegan did -

(in throwing a GPS in trying to off put free taker Dean Rock in an AI Final. Which Rock saw at the corner of his eye, and thought was a piece of Muck)

But you simultaneously are magnifying the alleged wrong Comerford engaged in - shaking the posts. While minimising what Lee Keegan did. It is very cynical type of way of arguing, disingenuous like a politician.

Then have a dig at Dublin posters, and imply there is an unusual psychological issue with them as the cherry on top.

Well thought out, you should seriously run for office if not already as your talents are wasted on here.

--

On your psychological question -

I am one of the more balanced Dublin supporters on here as I have been accused by many in recent months of playing the 'cute hoor' talking Kerry up and Dublin down etc by posters from many counties, including my own. But supporters come in all shapes, sizes, and mindsets. To claim some are blinkered after a period of success is a bit of misnomer.

As most die hard supporters of a county or club, feel hurt when they lose. There are just some who move on from it quicker than others. It is not a question of supporters being blinkered, previous success or not. But, merely because many diehard supporters get very upset after a loss.

Some on here use Dublin as a tool to deflect from their own counties failings. And the only GAA joy they get is when they see Dublin fail. I believe the Germans call it 'Schadenfreude.' But I would rather that than not being in the conversation. Because when other counties want your team to lose, and glory when they do - that means that county is a successful one. So in a way it is a complement. A sporting compliment, that is the beauty of sport.

--

On the issue of gamesmanship.

There are some who played the game at a high level/won all Ireland's and not from Kerry/Dublin who claim Comerford showed 'smarts' in wasting the time when he was kicked in the head so it used up John Small's black card time. That person was Oisin McConville AI winner for Armagh 2002

Now Comerford got praised for such gamesmanship by a former Armagh intercounty legend of the sport. Is that any different to shaking the posts? Or in soccer when Grobbelaar did the wobbly knees for liverpool v Roma?

Or is throwing a GPS gamesmanship as well, or going beyond the line of gamesmanship to cheating?

These are all questions it is up for each individual to decide, I suppose.

But I feel like in deciding on the above, your mind is already weighed towards one decision.

Mainly because the player in question the last day was wearing a dark blue Dublin jersey. Not because of the actions at issue.

If the player in question (Comerford) had been wearing another counties jersey, I get the impression that the 'shaking of the posts' would not nearly be such an issue for you. But I am only speculating on that point.

As Dublin great Dean Rock said after he nailed that free in 2017 -

“You’d always notice lads distracting you and putting you off. That’s just part and parcel of it. That’s just Gaelic football"

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭MattressRick

I zoomed into see the looks on everyone's faces and the way people are staggered and have blurriness around them it looked like a paste job. Anyways its a good looking image.

• Advertisement

If Comerford hadn't acted the complete clown twice already in that game maybe people would get over the one snakey incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

It doesn't have to be a deliberate pull down for a black card - Again, read the rules. If an opponent deliberately collides with a player to take him out of the play, its a black card . . . . .

..... but you're correct in saying it needs to be upgraded.. The exact text of the rule is

"To deliberately collide with an opponent after he has played the ball away or for the purpose of taking him out of the movement of play"

Now he deliberately impeded him - no question at all but is there a difference between a collision and a pull??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

The offence is to

1. deliberately pull down
    2. deliberately trip an opponent with hands/arm/leg/foot
    3. deliberately collide with an opponent for the purpose of taking him out of the movement of play

I'd say the foul was more in the territory of 2 and/or 3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Wow, that's some pile of shlte. Lets bring it back to basis and see if you can answer the following directly:-

• Why were Dublin crying about Lee Keegans actions a few years ago about the GPS, but not a word out of them now to condemn Comerfords actions. Charlie Redmond went public that the GAA need to deal with Keegan for his actions. Both actions were serving the same purpose. Neither were dangerous play. Or for that matter, do any dubs on here have the grace to say that Comerfords actions were a "disgrace" (to quote Charlie), or admit the dramatic overreaction in the case of Keegans actions.
    • Why was there such outcry on Sunday evening and Monday morning (I work in Dublin so got to listen to it) that Sean O'Shea didn't get a red card for "kicking" Comerford in an act of dangerous play. But there was a general consensus from the same herd that John Small correctly escaped a red card for his mistimed tackle last year which broke another persons jaw.

No need to go off on a tangent about politics or German dialect. Would be great if you could just answer those questions. You don't have to of course. It an open forum and you're free to do as you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Cluxton had more class in his big toe than Comerford in his whole body, let himself down on Sunday. Cluxton would never have acted like that.

I have great respect for Cluxton which says a lot when I would do my best to find a reason to dislike the Dublin footballers usually 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Having said that, he can redeem himself, it's not an easy job, he's a hard act to follow and probably got a bit carried away.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,699 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It can be disheartening to have three Celtic Cross'es and have never won one on the field in an AI final

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Kicking to win and kicking to not lose are two different things though. For that reason, hennellys kick last year and rian oneills this year were probably the toughest of the lot of them to execute.

Re cillian oconnors kick, he caught it perfectly to be honest, it just never came back in as the wind was blowing across the goals and pushed it outwards towards the post. Rock missed a few into that goals the same day for the very same reason, but he happened to be on the winning team at the end so the above horse manure doesnt get spoken about his efforts. Although going off that footage it probably should have been about 10 metres closer to the goal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Actually the media will come for you far sooner than that as some dublin players will soon find out. Eaten bread is soon forgotten. Galway folk are in for a surprise if they expect the media to be the same as they were in 1998.

I hope it is a good close game and that kind of thing doesnt happen to either team or any people involved because the gaa press are full of sh*te. 'Fellow gaels' will be lampooned and insulted ad nauseum with crap that they know to be disingenuous. Someone or other will 'wilt', as opposed to just not having a good game due to numerous factors, many of which being outside of their control. Etc etc. It is actually tedious stuff and more fool us for reading it.

Advertisement