Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Note Post #1 - The 2022 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

That's the thing. Goalkeepers kicking ability is now more important in the game than a forwards kicking ability. The game is too focused on handpassing. It's a bunch of athletes mostly nowadays rather than footballers. Tom Parsons for example played midfield and the man couldn't kick a ball to save his life.

It's killing the game as a spectacle. Every time it fools me. I see a game and look forward to it and then the joy is sucked out of it as it's just handpass after handpass. That's why I enjoyed the Cavan Donegal match. There was a fair bit of kicking and long distance scores.

I did count how many kick passes were in the first two minutes though. Outside of shots and kickouts, there was one kickpass in the first two minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Fiyatoe

Donegal would be one of the worst at this, they recycle the ball over and over waiting for “the percentage shot”. Handpassing sideways and back ways.

I actually thought it was like basketball from them a bit today.

agreed on that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Cavanagh seems to be stuck on today's Wordle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I agree with Sean Cavanagh about Cork. They were well beaten after all their "Pairc Ui Rinn or nowhere" carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,514 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Some laugh if it's Tyrone vs Mayo in the Preliminary Round stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I'm biased and I was at the game but Cork were in Kerry's faces for 50 mins and showed pride in the jersey, I was happier coming away from that game than the hurlers against Limerick.

Colm thought Kerry were rusty and that was the only reason for the tight match up to a point, they had a league final to play after the campaign, Cork didn't so if anything, Cork were more rusty!

As others pointed out during the week on Boards, Pairc Ui Rinn is a big pitch so space for Kerry forwards was not an issue that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Dublin did similar stuff in the league except executed very poorly, really frustrating to watch live. Damn all willing to actually break with pace. I actually sympathise with Donegal fans for having to watch that stuff for much longer. It wouldn't be so bad if Donegal did not have the forwards. It would make some sort of sense then.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Fiyatoe

Yeah agreed. I feel they’ve a great crop of players there, some really exciting young players all over the pitch. Ban Gallagher used under the right manager and game plan should be the new jack mccaffrey, if he isn’t already.

dubs are going to have a big say in this years championship! For once, ticking away nicely under the radar, no one is expecting much, I think that’ll suit them well.

I said it even after the bad league they were having, they still lifted it to beat Tyrone etc, come the summer Dublin could creep into a final; I think a semi at least

• Registered Users Posts: 6,097 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Anyone else notice the impact of Noelle healy on rte a beautiful looking girl with 5 all Irelands in her back pocket.

Cute as a button but absolutely ruthless in her assments and the most accurate analyst in rte

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Yeah fine looking woman and good analyst but one thing about a lot of the women I find is they speak very monotone. They should be given some training to speak more enthusiastically. That Jacob one does but her voice would break glass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,097 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

that's Wexford's fault not her fault that girl Ursula is bang on as a pundit , rte want controversy they want eamon dunphy throwing his biro accross the studio not clever well taught out anylalss

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

As a Donegal fan, the win over Cavan wasnt entirely convincing even though it could have been a double figures win in the end.

Couple of points:

-They are showing a bit of grit which has been been missing but they will need a big improvement to win against Derry/Monaghan.

-Eoghan Ban was outstanding today.

-Bonnar needs to get to a Semi this year or he is gone so hopefully they will start being braver and kicking the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭agfasfos

What's the story with the losers of Provincial finals ?, do they go into the qualifiers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,278 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I honestly couldn’t give a damn what she looked like. I already commented that her analysis is very good and works well with Pat. Good contrast IMO. It doesn’t bother me what an analyst looks like.

Unless they distract from otherwise enthusiastic analysis and dress OTT such as Shane Dowling in the hurling the last day. It is studio analysis not a fashion parade.

Healy is an Anesthesiologist by trade. So is used to fast in-depth analysis. Very quick to spot something of interest when watching play on the field. Gives insight in a clear concise manner.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

this thing of lads on the telly being sponsored to wear a rig out from menswear shops is beyond a joke at this stage - Dowling looked fvckin comical yesterday in his pink jacket. Nothing against pink jackets, if they suit you then hi for it, but he looked very uncomfortable and like a lad wearing his brothers hand me down suit on his first communion.

I'm also no very inclined to comment on women's appearances, like, has been done above on Healy. From what inwallsaw of her yesterday, she came across well and added to the debate, unlike most of the talking heads. Long may it continue. There are several token women on these panels, she appears different, (like Fallon on the soccer), seems to know her onions.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Whatever about the women, its the amount of Mayo pundits inflicted on us and not an all Ireland senior men's medal between them. Boyle being the exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Preliminary round also required if Tipp beat Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭blowitupref

From RTÉ

The draw for the opening round of the Tailteann Cup, the new second tier competition in Gaelic football, will take place this Monday live on RTÉ Radio 1 at 8:35am and streamed live on the RTÉ News channel.

The knockout competition will be regionalised up until the quarter-final stage.

There will be 14 teams participating in the first round, with North and South groupings of fixtures drawn.

A total of 15 counties have already qualified; Antrim, Down, Fermanagh, Cavan, Longford, Offaly, Laois, Carlow, Wicklow, Wexford, Waterford, Sligo, Leitrim, London and New York (who get a bye to the quarter-finals).

If either Westmeath or Tipperary are defeated in provincial semi-finals this weekend a preliminary round will be required to reduce the number of first round teams to 14. Two preliminary round games will be played if both Westmeath and Tipperary lose.

All provincial semi-finalists will be exempt from a preliminary round, which as it stands comprises Cavan, Sligo and Leitrim.

New York will receive a bye to the quarter-final stage and will play their match in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

All too easy for Tyrone here in u20. Very good Tyrone side with young Canavan running the show kicking some super points.

Much the better side but Kildare will be disappointed at how wasteful they have been.

• Advertisement

Well done Tyrone. Excellent side. There will be a lot of "didnt lick it off a stone" in tyrone for a while with mcgleenan, cush, donaghy and of course canavan who is the best underage footballer i have seen since clifford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

FT in the Munster football semi final Tipperary 0-10 Limerick 2-10. Preliminary Round in Qualifiers won't be required now unless Westmeath pull off a big shock tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,278 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Does anyone know when the actual draw for the Sam McGuire qualifiers are ?

The lineup will be known this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Looking forward to Derry/ Monaghan game. Mostly to see what Derry are really like.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,272 ✭✭✭tanko

Looking good for Derry so far, the banty showing how tactically clueless he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Watching Meath Dublin on GAA Go. 1-17 to 5 at HT. Dublin were actually quite sloppy early on but how are Meath so bad? Andy McEntee will be lucky to be left in place for the qualifiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭HBC08

You don't see managers go between championship losses and qualifiers,I don't know if its ever happened. You do see managers and players check out though and go through the motions,I'd expect that would be the case with this Meath team.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,699 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I am not surprised that Derry beat Monoghan. Monoghan were lucky to remain in D1 this year.

Slava Ukrainii

I dont know how he has lasted this long. Meath havent made an ounce of progress in his 6 or 7 years and have largely been pathetic for a county with their tradition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

They did get to Division 1 in 2019 but couldn’t even win a game.

Advertisement