Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Note Post #1 - The 2022 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭dobman88

You've described exactly what is wrong while saying there is nothing wrong with it. Hopefully the few yellows he picked up this year makes him work on tackling cos at the moment he is fairly brutal at it coughing up cheap frees.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

He definitely likes to leave a little message early on in games with some of his tackles. Very risky for a big powerful man, could easy pick up a second yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Doesn't work like that. You can't stand for 3 minutes and tie your laces. You have to catch the ball within the 45 meter line. It's not ideal, not a perfect rule, but let's not exaggerate how it's use.

When was the last time he disappeared in a game ?Didn't in the quarter,semi or final this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭JRant

He knows exactly what he's doing though. He can go through the rest of a game without doing it but he's fond of leaving a bit in on a defender early enough in a game and not in the "tactical foul" sense either.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

That last few weeks there has being serious amount of managers leaving various county Jobs. In last few weeks 14 manager have left. I cannot remeber so many leaving before in short period time. The turnover and pressure on managers is unreal. Rumours are rife.

Dublin Dessie Farrell leaving was even talked about in Irish indo. Declan D'Arcy was mentioned by some as potential new manager.

Monaghan Also in Irish Indo also mentioned Jason Sherlock could be new Monaghan manager. Would be an interesting appointment.

Mayo names mentioned are Stephen Rochford Ray Dempsey, Sloan and Kevin McStay.

Kilkenny hurlers names mentioned are Eddie Brennan Michael Fennelly with Derek lying looks like the frontrunner.

Regards new appointment Colm O Rourke was stand out one this week. O Rourkes management team is strongly touted to be strong one. We are Meath podcast which break news in Meath gaa said it is strongly touted that Eamon Fitzmaurice will be assitant Meath manager and coach. And Donie Buckley will be Meath coach and Jimmy McGuinnes former s and c coach is being touted also as part of O Rourkes team. It's all the talk in county that Fitzmaurice Buckley will be part of O Rourke management which would be very strong management. Other candidate Bernard Flynn had strong management team also. According to Irish Independent Flynns managment team was kilmacud Crokes Manager Robbie Brennan, ex Mayo manager Stephen Rochford and Mick Dempsey Brian Cody's assistant manager when kilkenny won All those All Irelands.

GAA managers of the quality of Rochford and Fitzmaurice willing to become assistant Meath manager and Fitzmaurice and Buckley becoming coachs show how Meath have improved structures in the county. Buckley Rochford Fitzmaurice Dempsey wouldnt have come to Meath 7 years ago when Andy took over. Colm O Rourke didn't manage Meath because structures were not there. He says everything he proposed has now being enacted on. When Andy McEntee took over Meath Dublin were hammering Meath regularly at underage. Now Meath are hammering Dublin yearly at underage by 10 or 11 pts. Meath have beaten Dubs 5 times in last 5 years at underage.

When Andy McEntee took over In 2017 Meath hadn't won underage title in 9 years. When Colm takes over Meath have won 4 U17 leinster minor titles in 5 years and All Ireland minor title. If you look at Derry sucess it was built on 3 Ulster minor titles and All Ireland minor title. Kerry was sucess built on All Ireland minor success. While Limerick won U21 All Ireland many in limerick say Limerick Minor 2013 & 014 minor winning teams were teams the senior success were built. Ten of the Limerick players who played in this year All Ireland final came from those 2 Munster minor winning teams. Meath have good foundations for O Rourke. Look at Meath ladies going for 2 in row on Sunday which will cemet their reputation as one of best teams to come out of leinster men or women's game ever. Leinster teams putting All Irelands back to back has rarely happened in gaa. Another example of strides is made in Meath. Last 6 years impressive people have got involved in Meath GAA. Men's and ladies games. Meath have had ladies and men underage sucess and ladies have gone losing by 40 pts to Cork to on verge of two in row All Irelands , 3 if you include intermediate All Ireland in 2020. Huge work has been done in Meath with East leinster project increasing full time coach's from 3 to 19. O Rourke appointment is another example of that progess.

Cork and Meath are two counties who from 1930 each decade up 2010 with Dublin Galway kerry where strong counties winning All Irelands and contenders. But both have dropped out in last ten years. But I think Meath and Cork are the counties capable doing what Derry and Galway done in recent years. It wouldn't be a straight line up but next 20 years Meath will be stronger than previous 20 years. What they actually achieve depends how many top class forwards Meath and Cork can produce and standard of manager. Meath had no underage success and structures behind Dubs for ten years yet remained top div 2 team, ( in ten seasons Meath were in contention 6 times for promotion to div 1 losing out of point difference score difference and head to head.) And putting it up best teams in country. Lost to Donegal Tyrone by 1 pt in championship lost by points or 2 to Donegal Mayo kerry Galway drew with Monaghan in league. All with no underage sucess and structure lagging behind top Counties. With the county being the county with youngest population in the country, underage sucess which sud continue and structures as good as top counties surely Meath aren't going to be div 3 or div 4 and surely could push to be div 1 county. Time will tell.

Post edited by Sonny678 on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Fair play to O'Rourke.

I'd have been critical of the likes of himself and Spillane over the years, always quick to critisise and dictate how it should be done while getting well paid to be on TV, but reluctant to get the feet wet and get involved. It's not a risk free move, his reputation is on the line, but with the likes of Fitz Maurice and Buckley on board it seems there are lots of *ahem* resources available for team affairs, so along with some talent coming through over the next few years the foundations seem to be there. Fair play to him for leading it up and putting his neck on the line.

Question, can a professional sport coach be paid professional fees in the way say a professional like a physio or nutritionist is?

Yeah, I agree. It's annoying. Happened in Tyrone last year at a league match. He got an early yellow, later in the game a Tyrone man initiated a wrestling match and ref dished out 2 yellows which got Clifford a red despite him spending the entire time on the ground with his hands outstretched. Cuter teams will prey on that.

Johnny Cooper had a couple of goes at him after his yellow in the Dublin game but thankfully he walked away every time and didn't react.

He still has a lot to learn though.

Just on the We Are Meath podcast. You posted before that is the official Meath GAA podcast so I asked Davy Rispin if they're sponsored by the county board, and they're not.

They're just a couple of lads with a massive interest in Meath football and you have to pay a subscription to access the podcasts.

Nothing at all to do with official Meath GAA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Oh sorry excuse me. So it's OK for you to draw conclusions from it an spread them around because it was on whatsapp? Did you even see it? I did, and on first viewing knew exactly what was going on. But we all knew apes would continue to spread it around with the negative and incorrect views attached. Simply put you were wrong and I personally would have quoted my own incorrect post and set the record straight if I were you. But you didn't do that did you! Instead you tell people who corrected your post to "Cop Themselves On".

It's a sad state of affairs were in now if young lads can't enjoy a few pints after winning an all ireland without sh1t being thrown at them in the hope some sticks.

Anyway back to the actual thread topic, you'll be glad to hear that the all ireland championship 2022 celebrations continue unabated 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭celt262

If I were you lol. U didn't read my following posts then no . LMFAO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

They get all the breaking news what players are on the panel what players are leaving panel. They have broken news on goings and comings of Meath panel for years. They originally had 4 presenters narrowed down to 2 when Pandemic started. Of the 4 original one is a member of the county board. The other has big role in minor football.. It's the top Meath podcast. I phrased wrongly saying official Meath podcast. Apologies. But it is the top Meath gaa media outlet for news stories. They have had breaking news regarding Meath for years it is outstanding podcast I recommend anyone who has interest in Meath gaa to join. It's best Meath media at the moment better than LMFM or Meath Chronicle or other podcasts.

Many people in the county are openingly talking abour Fitzmaurice and Buckley. National newspaper are saying O Rourke has very impressive management team lined up, the Indo said this. The Star newspaper another national newspaper said O Rourkes management is very strong with lots experience from outside county, with prominent gaa figure's on it from outside Meath. We will see. But we can say for certain Bernard Flynns management team was Stephen Rochford, Brian Cody's Assitant Mick Dempsey and Kilmacud Crokes Manager Dublins Robbie Brennan. The Irish Independent stated that. All will be revealed soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Bingo.

Thanks for that ray of sense among all that really weird incessant fellatio.

Anyway, meh season with a gash end to an enjoyable SF and Final both. To 2023... Hopefully Kerry enjoy their one-in-a-row! :P

Post edited by BonnieSituation on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,493 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I thought it was well known that Clifford gassed and faded out of games. Go look at those three games you mention for example.

Going from memory so am open to correction, but it is one point in the 2nd half against Mayo, scored around the 48th minute.

In the semi against Dublin, his only point of the 2nd half was in the 37th minute.

In the final his last point from play was in the 41st minute.

Maybe I have missed a point somewhere but I didn't even think this was controversial, Clifford regularly fades out of games after a strong start.

If you want a Clifford who is clutch when the game is in the melting pot, look to his brother, Paudie's record of scoring important points late in the game is very impressive.

His stats are not bad for a lad who disappears out of games 😉

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,796 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Yes, coaches can be paid ad-hoc or paid an overall 'season fee package'

It's very common in GAA for coaches to do one-off sessions etc.

Which does not address the point at all, but then you know that.

Another example, the semi final against Tyrone last year, Cliffords last point from play was the 38th minute.

There is a pattern there and your stats do not refute it one little bit.

Who cares if he scores his last point in 15th,30th or 67th minute. His job is to score points/goals and that what he does. The lad is an unbelievable talent and who is going to get better. Would you be saying the same thing if he played with the Dubs?

When you pivot to "who cares" then at least you admit the point is true.

Big, tight games are won in the last third, when the big players step up with the big moments and drag their team across the line. People claim Clifford is the greatest ever but he is noticeably absent come squeaky bum time in big games, thats not the greatest ever to me.

And the conversation came from a point about Cliffords long term fitness, and the possibility of injuries. I think he is gassing out of these games, that it is his fitness that causes this late game fade out, and at age 23 that doesn't bode well.

Your point about Dublin is inane, just you flailing about trying to do anything except acknowledge the point made. I'm not from Dublin, if somebody said Bernard Brogan was the greatest footballer ever but the stats showed he never scored from play after the 40th minute, damn sure I would hold that against him.

• Advertisement

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

But your one stat doesn't prove anything either.

Is he not scoring because he is being used differently? Is he getting more assists? Is he getting back more? Is he not scoring because he is tying up two markers, leaving seanie oshea or paudie Clifford free to do the damage? Is he being left on his own up front and kerry can't get the ball to him? Etc etc

I dont think there's anyone claiming that he's the greatest ever tbh, he's an incredible young player that has already done allot in the game alright. When people talk about his skill etc it's because his style is very unusual, like the way he starts the ball off with such a steep trajectory in tight spots nullifying attempted blocks, but somehow manages to get that crazy range. People will always pick holes in every players game, that's because there are holes in every players game. I think when you hear "the greatest ever" talk! It's because he probably has had the start to a career that someone in that conversation would have! But for me and I'd say the majority of people, he'll need about another decade performing at the top level to have that title. I do think we should all as the GAA public be leaving that conversation for another day long down the road, and instead of trying to tear down these great talents that we are so lucky to have playing our game across the country! We should be celebrating them.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭MattressRick

I don't agree with the suggestions that Clifford will get better, how can he perform better than he is, score 8 from play per game? If so that is greatest ever territory alright.

Suppose it could happen if he improves stamina or fitness or whatever is needed to keep lashing points over for 80 mins

Agreed, I guess it's more about putting together a larger body of work over years so to speak, at senior level. I don't really worry about that tbh. Right now I just love watching the lad play, and thank god he's lining out for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Gael85

Can he do it on a cold Tuesday night in Stoke? On serious note that is some scoring record. 20 goals in 27 games is good going. Will only get better. Con O'Callaghan has 18 goals in 50 games for Dublin though he played a lot of his football in half forward line.

There was literally a poster in this thread who said he was the greatest ever, it is what prompted the conversation.

My stats showed a trend, how people want to interpret that trend is up to them. In the context of "the greatest ever", I consider that trend to be worthy of remark.

1 guy posting on boards is hardly a groundswell of support to the notion. What I do find interesting is the swift action by some to try and talk down the guy.

• Advertisement

You said there wasn't anybody claiming Clifford as the greatest, I pointed out that this discussion started because somebody did exactly that. That is literally what happened, I never said anything about support beyond that.

But its interesting that you call people giving their opinion to be "swift action", though I guess that ties in nicely with the people who react to any Clifford criticism with "you must be anti-Kerry", "you must be a dub", "Leave Brittney David alone".

Advertisement