Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Note Post #1 - The 2022 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

The North vs South thing is a total piss take. North section far stronger than the South.

As stated, Cavan’s loss in that semi final was not like today. Cavan were behind by 5 points at HT in that game. Meath were behind by 5 points after ten minutes today. Today’s game was over after ten minutes. That is why the narrative for both reads differently.

You are also comparing 2019 Dublin, the six in a row team, to 2020 and 2021 Dublin. There has been a lot of change for the Dubs since 2019, not least no Cluxton which is a huge factor.

I go to plenty of Meath games as my wife is from the county but there’s no point attempting to paper over the cracks. This Meath team were promoted to Division 1 in 2019 and then couldn’t even win a League game in 2020. It’s been a long time since Meath beat a Division 1 standard team.

This year has been an unmitigated disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

To show how much Dubs have dominated leinster Meaths score yesterday 1-14 is the highest any leinster team has scored in leinster championship v Dubs in 5 years. Along with kildares 1 - 17 v Dubs in 2017, yesterday Is the highest score a team has scored v Dubs in leinster since 2010 when they were last beaten in leinster.

Since 2010 leinster Semi final. The 3 highest scores v Dubs in leinster in last 12 years are

Kildare scored 1 - 17 v Dubs in 2017

Meath scored 1 - 14 v Dubs in 2022 ( yesterday )

Laois scored 2- 10 v Dubs in 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭MacDanger

The North v South divide in the Tailteann cup seems pointless - how long does that split persist for? They also should have added a clause saying that teams who have already played each other can't get drawn again - it's going to be hard for Wexford to beat Offaly a second time

Brilliant result from Derry yesterday, would be good to see them win Ulster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

I appreciate the impassioned defence of Meath above but I think it is seriously rose tinted to say the least a 26 year old playing in Australia is not going to come back and turn Meath into contenders no matter how good he is. Meath were pathetic in the league and pathetic again yesterday just showed up and waited to be beaten no fight untill it came to a bit of off the ball dirt at the end. All three Leinster finals minor, U20 and senior this year are Kildare v Dublin.

As for the Leinster final itself I think our full forward line can really get at Dublin's full back line but we have to tighten up something fierce at the back we were far too open and we won't keep Dublin to a manageable score defending like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,017 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

When is the qualifier draw? All 8 teams are known at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 18,699 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

While it might be slightly stronger it's probably not that much stronger. Ya Cavan would be favourite to win Tailtain but after that Westmeath or Tipperary could give it a right rattle.

The reasons for an N&S section is to give a chance to traveling fans. If Wexford was playing Antrim any halfway point would be two hours for fans there would be no hope for home and away agreements.

Not ideal but understandable

Slava Ukrainii

But sure Cork could draw Mayo in the regular qualifiers, what’s the difference?

As Oisin McConville has said, if you want the competition taken seriously, treat the teams the same as the “big boys”.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

When are the TC semis and final being played? I hope they're played as double headers with the Sam semis and final.

Have a triple header with the minors on AI final day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

All teams have been pathetic in leinster in leinster championship v Dubs in last ten years, no more so than kildare. Kildare were pretty pathetic when tryed to keep score down last year. At least Meath had a go last year when Dubs were vulnerable. kildare showed no fight last year. But kildare blamed Jack O Connor for that. Whats kildare excuse for the other decades of failing to take the fight to Dublin. Kildare were pretty pathetic with 15 pt and 19 pts loss to Dubs in recent years. kildare have been pathetic v Dubs for long time, only 1 leinster final victory over Dubs in 94 years and 2 victories over Dubs in last 45 years.

Also regards off the ball dirt at the end. The Meath lads were embarassed and struck out. Just like when Meath embarassed kildare with record 5 goal hammering in 2020 and kildare didnt show fight til the end with some off the ball dirt, with kildare player sent off for striking Meath player in that game at the end just like yesterday.

lets see how kildare do in the final. Hype again around kildare, Id say its the 7th time I have heard since 1990 kildare are coming, but other then under greatest manager ever in 98 and 2000, kildare never live up to the hype. This hype always leads to extra pressure, unnecessary pressure on players and kildare always fail to live up to the hype. kildare r yo you team with 4 relegations in 8 years. Until they stay up for couple of years. Kildare and Dublin in 3 leinster finals. Lets see kildare build on it. The last time kildare had underage sucess in late 60s early 70s and also in late 00s they didnt on both occassions. kildare have reached 3 leinster senior finals since 2010, Meath have reached 6 leinster finals in the same period. Kildare didnt build on U21 sucess in late 00s. Maybe this will be a new kildare.

McEntee has stayed to long, things are gone stale. But Meath have talent coming through just like kildare. Both are div 2 teams, trying to break into top 8. Both have failed. There is really is feck all between both teams in recent years. Meath have beaten kildare twice in last 3 years, beat kildare by their biggest score in championship in 60 years in 2020. Kildare won by 3 in 2021. Kildare have got the bounce from a new manger. But both have been at the same level since 2010. Kildare were ahead under McGeeney 2010 2011, than Meath were ahead in 2012 2013 2014 2015, than kildare were ahead again of Meath in 2017 2018, Meath were ahead again in 2019 2020 and kildare have jumped ahead 2021 2022. Both its basically two division 2 teams jumping from 9th best team to 12th and 13th best team in the country back and forth for last 15 years. Until one of Meath or kildare or both stay in division 1 for at least 4 or 5 years, its just repeat of last 20 years. Meath have underage talent, kildare have underage talent. We will know in 4 or 5 years time, who made most of the talent. But neitheir kildare r Meath have done much to write since 2010. Maybe that will change. But until you see Meath and kildare beating top teams in Croke Park and in Ulster or in Mayo or kerry, than they have really progresssed. Anything else is just tallk and hype and saying what both teams are going to do something. Meath and kildare have had many false dawns since Sean Boylan left Meath, Mick Dwyer left kildare. Andy McEntee showed promsie in 2019 2020, but it was another false dawn just like Cian O Neill with kildare. But Meath had 8 players 21 r 22 yesterday so time is on their side. Kildare have showed promise in 2022, but will it be another fasle dawn. Time is on their side also. Nothing has won, nothing has being achieved. in 5 years time we will know the answers. Hopefully Meath and kildare are not just going to continue what we have seen for last 15 years, failing to stay div 1, failing to beat Dubs r any top teams and failing particularly to beat top Ulster teams in Ulster r Croker in the championship.

Best of luck in the final, you have good full forward line. But defensviely I saw you in Carrick and Mayo should have scored 7 goals. Yesterday Kildare were all over the shop at the back. Thats been a bit of issue for years. Thats why O Connor went so defensive last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

yeah and Limerick won the first All Ireland and Tipperary have four All Irelands , no one considers either county to ever have been big guns in football , Laois is a small county and its good can give a decent account of itself in both hurling and football but its pointless comparing it to Meath in terms of history

from 1986 to 2001 , Meath were the top team in Leinster with Dublin only winning one All Ireland in 1995 , Dublin won a good few Leinsters in that period but never really challenged strongly beyond that where as Meath won Four and lost three finals

• Registered Users Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Week today. Apparently so as not to take spotlight away from Tailteann Cup draw. Could they not have done it tomorrow or the day after?

Up till semis

Preliminary Round 21/22 May Round 1 28/29 MayQuarter-Finals 4/5 June Semi-Finals 18/19 June Final 9 July

so not double headers

• Registered Users Posts: 26,572 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

How many TC fans get a ticket if you have it on AI final day ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Tailteann is segregated North v South to give Southern teams a chance, otherwise it would be majority Northern teams in the latter stages every year

Let some of the North teams knock each other out to give Southerners a fighting chance

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

Such a stupid competition.

Best two teams going at it in Round 1 because of the segregation.

New York get a bye into the Quarters by virtue of being in the South Section when they would get beaten by any team in North section.

Ties that we have already seen happening again.

Hopefully this is the last year of this farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

How many TC fans are there anyways?

How many were at Offaly v Wexford?

Meath was only " rural and sparsely populated " in the North of the County , its been fairly heavily populated south of Navan for forty years , its not and has never been a rural county in the way Cavan or the likes or Westmeath or Mayo is , Mayo is a big county but with a small population

as for Antrim , well its the county in Ulster with the smallest percentage of the population who are catholic so its not really a big GAA population and its at a real disadvantage to Meath in terms of its location , it just doesnt feel the GAA atmosphere like a Leinster county can

Wicklow has a lot of protestants and rugby and soccer have a high profile in that county , GAA was never anywhere as culturally important as in Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I was at the game and gave my analysis of it. If you were at the game or have something I missed. If there is something you feel I incorrectly stated in your opinion, I would be glad to hear it.

I always like to hear insightful well thought out GAA opinions.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭HBC08

It won't be on the same day for this reason.Im sure the info is available as to when it is I just don't know when that is.I think they should have it on the sat night before the final.They did this for the secondary competition for the Heineken Cup and it works well.

Your posts are very long I don’t know how you manage it! True there is flux in teams but you expect a team of the football stature and in bedded football culture as Meath to at least show some structure and green shoots by now. I don’t believe Meath are making the best of what they got.

Similar to Kildare under a lot of the previous management. It was even worse as Kildare than Meath had criminally under used forwards. Poor management and poor tactIcs. Now Kildare have been let off the leash and are playing to their strengths. They were very unlucky not to stay in div1

Meath are underachieving for what ever reason or reasons. It is an ongoing malaise. Surely you can agree with that poor in qualifiers, poor in super 8s, and poor in league. Should have at least ‘turned a corner’ at this stage. Or at least found a decent consistent level. Instead They are getting even worse not better.

A decent population on its own does not mean success. But a decent population with top tradition and good management of the youth can make success more likely.

Meath threw theirs away, ladies football success only shows how inept Meath mens football has become.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Sorry, but I am going to stick with pathetic, I know its a strong word and you are entitled to disagree. I just can't see any reason why the likes of Mayo, Donegal, Tyrone, even the likes of Monaghan can stay competitive year in, year out and Meath just remain shite. Granted it is hard to live in Dublins shadow, but that is no excuse for the poor league showings. Derry have went from the top of Div 1 all the way to Division 4 and have still come back up and passed Meath out.

You can say Cork footballers are pathetic and you might not be too far wrong, but they are a dual county with a preference for hurling and at least they have at times put up some semblance of a fight to Kerry. I have rarely seen them humiliated from start to finish like Meath were yesterday.

Dublin had many problems during the league. They absolutely annihilated Meath yesterday, but we don't actually really know if "The Jacks are back", because Meath were just so bad. I'll be surprised if Kildare lie down as easily in the final, in spite of a relegation they were very competitive in Div 1 and beating Dublin in the league surely has given them some confidence that it can be done.

In short, because I know you will come back with a missive, I am sticking with pathetic, if you want to throw other counties into that brackets as well, be my guest, but nothing will convince me that the state of Meath football and that humiliation of a performance yesterday was anything other than pathetic.

I am amazed at how long they have stuck with Andy McEntee, no doubt a genuine proud Meath man, but they have been going nowhere for a long time now.

I wouldn’t use the word pathetic ‘just years of Meath mismanagement and underachieving’

Having watched a lot of Meath over many decades in Leinster it is hard to disagree with the rest of your post. Surely the Meath County Board need to look at things from top to bottom starting with McEntee?

Are the MCB in such a malaise that they cannot think of other candidates?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

There's no doubt that all Leinster teams have been pathetic the last few years now I'd argue that most Connacht Ulster teams etc would be hammered just as bad off the Dublin juggernaut especially if they had to play them every year like we do.

I'd dispute that Meath had a go last year against Dublin they were 12 down at half time and Dublin fell asleep second half but as you say we'll know where Kildare are on the evening of the 28th and if we don't tighten up defensively we'll probably be beaten but I'd be very disappointed if we put in as listless a showing as ye did yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Fair enough. It is disappointing to see these former giants of the game in such a poor state. Armagh are a limited enough side, but they decided to peak for the league this year to stay in Div 1 and succeeded comfortably.

As I suspected might happen, they paid the price for it in championship, but I think it might stand to them in the long run.

Its disappointing to see Meath not raise a gallop in either league or championship, at the very least they should have been in the mix with Derry, Galway and Roscommon fighting for promotion.

I would say Kildare will have a cut at Dublin go for goals. Ok Kildare might not win. They are leaky. But from midfield to the forwards Kildare are impressive. To be honest having watch them up close a good lot of them will get into the Dublin side.

Last year in Leinster Kildare wasted their forwards against Dublin. Sitting deep slow side to side stuff. And got a goal from D Flynn the only time they ran at the Dublin fb line. Plus we know what happened in Newbridge in the league v Dublin under the lilies change of management and tactical style. Not only that Kildare put it up to teams in the league even if did not win

Kildare are a momentum team if they start well they have the potential to spark. If I was a Lilly White supporter I would be feeling optimistic about the future. New management- new tactics- team playing to strengths- under age talent in the pipeline. Personally I think Kildare are already putting Meath to shame.

Another Meath supporter on here warned Meath would get walloped by the Dubs based on league. Said they were lucky to stay in div2.

But I was thinking Meath would put up some fight based on last years Leinster game. How wrong I was. Worst Meath performance I can ever remember watching and that includes their loss to Westmeath in Leinster.

They gave Dublin so much space you would see challenge matches with more intensity.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

Agree 100% about the space. I couldn't believe it. Towards half time two things struck me. Some of the Meath players just didn't seem bothered. And if they'd been playing the Dubs of 3/4 years ago I shudder to think what the scoreline would have been at half time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

Yes they were one offs people who know the history of the game know Laois were a strong force, nationally, at this time. Go to Kerry, Cavan, Mayo and find their eldest male gaa followers in their late 90s and they'll tell you. Ask John Rouse, GAA historian.

I can never get why people can't say ok I didn't really know that and move on in internet discussion. The constant need to double down on their initial statement makes online discourse not worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Jonah Tali Lomu

My old man's from Offaly, 98, now. He always said that about Leix as he calls Laois. Just like Offaly were a force for a lot of the 60s, 70s and early 80s. Sure Tipp were a force in football in the early years of the GAA. 1920 etc.

Just cos it's the early years of the association doesn't mean it's to be discarded. Only signed up a few days ago and everyone knows everything and no compromise. Even people fighting over the shaggin Eurovision!! Life is too short.

• Advertisement

those historical details are not relevant within the context of illustrating the stark decline of Meath , Meath were a footballing power in recent decades , the others werent so the decline is not comparative at all ( within that context )

Advertisement