Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Note Post #1 - The 2022 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Ya Meath were giving Dublin players too much space. Standing 3-5 meters off there man in around the 21 meter line and not attempting to tackle.

This and the Wexford win will give the Dublin loads of confidence. Kildare will have to up there game by 20-30% from yesterday to stay within 3-4 points of Dublin in the first half. That will still be not enough to pressure Dublin in the second half. Looks like another easy Leinster win for Dublin

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

Why not? There are counties who declined years ago and there are plenty of contemporary comparisons. Down, Cork, Offaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Wasn't there a Tommy Murphy cup that is like the TC now? Why didn't the TM cup work?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The funny thing was in the first 5 minutes or so I was codded. Thought the Dubs shooting had improved great accuracy etc. Then copped on at the time and space the lads were given.

Jayus, when I think of it - the little girls playing at half time even knew to close down their opponent!

I was actually thinking the Meath ladies football manager, Eamon Murray could be given a go managing the fellas team. Because at the very least he will get them structured, organised with a bit of game plan. Because I was very impressed with the Meath Ladies v Dublin when I saw them. Regardless of gender you could clearly see they had a tactical system worked out. I distinctly remember Emma Troy for Meath ghosting in for scores from corner back.

What the Meath lads do in training, I honestly don't know. It is night and day when comparing the level organisation, passion, and structure between those two Meath sides.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It was only for teams that were knocked out early in the championship. It could be totally different teams every year. As the backdoor was in place it was for only 8ish teams in its latter stages. It was effectively a losers cup with no permanent structure or reward

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

No one took it seriously. Lads went to the US and dropped off County panels to concentrate on club etc.

I think what often happens in counties like Meath is after a lot of senior success, 4 AIs between 1987 and 1999, they take their eye off the ball with underage. Meath are only improving underage recently.

Kerry did it and didn't bring fresh talent through 1986-97.

Look at Kilkenny, last U21 title 2008, minor 2015. Sport has always been cyclical too.

Man U decline since 2013 won't end for a bit. Liverpool no league title 1990 to 2020.

Meath went long stretches of its history being uncompetitive like now. For example from 1970 until 1986 they didn't win a Leinster, and were beaten by teams of lower status than they are today.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

Meath had a decent enough team in the 70's. They pushed Dublin reasonably close in a couple of Leinster Finals.

But for that great Dublin team Meath would have probably won a few Leinsters during that period

That is my point though it takes 'years of mismanagement' to go from a position of strength to also rans. You are spot on about taking the eye of youth. Dublin did it as well didn't even play some years in u21 competitions. Which was an utter disgrace in hindsight.

I have no problem with a team when at the top in a bit of decline. But when they underachieve based on what they have available that is what I have a problem with. Then it spirals down even further and lads don't want to even play for a team after a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Jonah Tali Lomu

Meath would have had a few Leinsters but for this great Dublin team too. I remember O'Rourke missing the penalty in 76 alright.

I wonder will the same happen with the Tailteann Cup? I was going to shorten it to 'T Cup' but realised that could get me some amount of stick unintentionally!

Fair enough. I think a lot of bad beatings make Meath play the way they did v Dublin these past few years. And bad management.

😅 I think it might happen again. A few counties will take it seriously.

That Kilcoo Brannigan fella boasting about slagging lads who play County from his club came across as pig ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

fair comment although Meath were never at the level of Kerry or Kilkenny ( in hurling ) , those two counties as a matter of course produce All Ireland contending teams , almost one after the other , in fact the period of 1987 to 1997 was pretty unique for Kerry in terms of underperforming , Cork dominated Munster during that period even Kerry won thee odd provincial

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

thats like saying Ronnie o Sullivan isnt the greatest ever snooker player as Joe Davis won fifteen world titles , the last one being in the earlier forties , you can only credibly make comparisons within the context of the modern era , same in GAA

What I meant by Kilkenny is how talent can dry up even in a 36 all ireland one game county. Let alone a 6/7 county all ireland county.

I'd look on Down, Galway, Meath, Offaly to a lesser extent, Mayo, Cork, Tyrone of late, Mayo, Donegal. as these counties behind Kerry and Dublin, who have strong eras marked by 20-30 years of fallowness.

Then teams who had strong periods pre 1950, Wexford, Tipp, Cavan.

Behind that group again counties who had strong once off eras, where they competed with the best, like for 15 years or so like Laois. Maybe Derry and Armagh are the modern equivalent.

I suppose we're all proud of our counties. Roscommon have always produced good teams over the generations and back to back all irelands in the 40s. Carlow were decent that decade, beating Dublin in the 1944 Leinster.

To me Meath are strong second tier behind Dublin and Kerry. But not unusual for a team like them to have 20 poor years.

It's different than that.

Areas who won football all irelands pre 1950 still have really strong football areas today that provided players who won those early titles.

Laois won the 1915 hurling all ireland represented by Ballygeehan, Ballacolla. It's still a stronghold of Laois hurling. That club reached the Leinster senior final last year.

Like Wexford's football strongholds today provided players who won all irelands 1915-18. The same areas provided footballers who got to the all ireland semi in 2008.

It's totally different than the snooker comparison. If I was to say the Wexford team that won 4 in a row were a better footballing team, because they won 4 all irelands, than Galway 1998 to 2001, who only won 2, then you'd have the snooker analogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Certainly in the early to mid 70s they were decent they went very bad late 70s early 80s and famously lost to Wexford in 81 and Longford in 82 which heralded the appointment of Boylan if I'm not mistaken.

• Advertisement

And Boylan viewed himself as a stop gap - as a hurling man! Funny how it turned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,383 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Anyone think that none of the 3 red cards in the Dublin v Meath games were the correct call?

The first challenge was high but didn't look to be deliberate or malicious. Fitzsimons didn't drag the Meath player to ground (though you could argue a yellow card if he had made a similar foul earlier). A ticking would have sufficed.

The 3rd one from Morris was unnecessary but just a shove in the chest at the end of the day.

I don't know if there were alternative angles shown on the Sunday Game to back up the referees call but on the short highlights that I watched on YouTube I think all 3 were harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,572 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Because the lower teams couldn't bring themselves to admit that Sam is a closed shop at the top. Hopefully that attitude has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

All the Meath slagging going on here. We've been forgotten about for 20 years by the GAA and there's only 1 way Meath will ever be back competing for Leinsters. And that's funding.

We need investment in all areas From the bottom to the top. Simple as that. Until it happens I won't be watching another Meath Dublin match.

What was the attendance anyway? Look absolutely terrible. Leinster semis need to be taken out of croker. Meath long overdue s home game against Dublin. Always playing them away.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Whatdoesitmatter

@RoyalCelt keep sucking on those lemons

• Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭dobman88

Talk to yer own county board about having home games taken away. Bunch of spineless idiots. Drawn out of the hat first as Meath v Dublin and hours later the press release had Dublin v Meath.

No fuss kicked up, just roll over and take it, much like the football team. Spineless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

McEntee berating Gannon after he was pushed to the ground. He should have been berating his own player for his unadulterated stupidity in doing it in front of the ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Many counties were football power in recent decades and declined

Offaly were superpower for 22 years From 1960 to 1982 winning 3 All Irelands and 10 Leinster titles

In last 35 years Offaly have 1 leinster title and are in div 3 and are in Tailtean cup

Thats a football power in decline,

Down won 5 All Irelands and 12 Ulsters titles in 34 years from 1960 to 1994

In last 28 years Down havent won Ulster title and are in div 3 and Tailtean cup

That football power in decline

Cork won 3 All Ireland and 13 Munster titles and 5 national league titles in 23 year period from 1989 to 2012

Since 2012 Cork havent won Munster title have spent time in Div 3 and are outiside the top 5 or 6 teams for first time in 70 years. And if lost to Offaly in last league game would have been relegated to div 3 again and into Tailtean cup.

Thats football power in decline

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Kildare are putting Meath to shame. Is this same team that tryed to keep score down v Dublin last year. Meath rattled Dubs last year. Meaths Was best performance and closest any leinster team has to Dubs in last ten years in the championship. Kildare tryed to keep score down. Everyone criticised for the surrender v Dubs last year. There is this thing with Dubs to hype up kildare coz deep down they dont see them as threat. Coz in late 90s when kildare did beat Dublin, the Dubs hated kildare. It was worse than Meath. But since than kildare are always being hyped and Dubs like to go along with that. Ger Brennan on a Parkinson podcast said last year what the Dubs really think of Kildare. He said he knew allot of kildare players from college and he said after a win kildare players and supporters like to give themselves a good licking. Basically hyping themselves up.

If you said Mayo r Monaghan put Meath to shame but kildare, do you know Meath have being just as sucessful at underage and Meath have being more sucessful than kildare in recent years in leinster. In their last championship meeeting 2 years ago Meath hammered kildare by record 5 goals it was Meaths biggest win over kildare since 1964. Meath beat kildare twice in the last three years, Meath dominated both second halves in both games and kept kildare scoreless from play. Even last year when Kildare were in Newbridge and Meath had massive injury crisis ( kildare had few players missin but Meath were ravaged with injuries) kildare just won by 3 pts and goaline clearance stopped the game heading to injury time. Meath and kildare have played 8 times in last ten years. Meath won 5 times kildare won 3 times. kildare beat Meath in 2017 twice and once in 2021. Meath have beaten kildare in 2012, 2014,2015, 2019 and 2020. Meath have beaten kildare in their last 3 championship match in Croke Park, 3 leinster semi finals in Croke Park. all 3 Games Meath won well. Meath beat kildare by 5 in 2012 semis and by 4 in 2014 semis ( Meath were 9 up at half time) and hammered kildare in semis in last 2 years, in their last championship game. Since 2010 Meath have reached 6 leinster finals winning 1, kildare have reached 3. kildare have beaten no top team championship in 22 years other nowhere or Newbridge Mayo 2018. In that period Meath have beaten Dublin twice and beaten great Kerry and Tyrone teams of 00s and Galway twice and Mayo once.

So where are kildare putting Meath to shame. kildare have won 4 leinster minors in recnet years. So have Meath won 4 leinster minors in recent years. kildare have won underage All Ireland recently, Meath have won underage All Ireland recently. Kildare have won 2 leisnter U20 titles and All Irealnd recenty, thats one difference, but with Meath outstanding minor All Ireland winners to play U20 still in the next 2 years in 2023 and 2024, Meath should be strong to push for U20 leinster titles in the next 2 years. Again no shame there.

So Meath have better record in leinter recently, better record v top teams than kildare and have also underage sucess. Kildare were in div 1, but that was 4th relegation in 8 years. Kildare are div 2 team Meath div 2 team. Again no shame there.

If we go backs decades Kildare have won 3 leinsters in 84 years, Meath have 8 leinsters in last 35 years. kildare have beaten Dubs in 1 leinstet final in last 94 years. Meath have beaten Dubs in leisnter final 7 times in last 35 years. kildare have beaten Dubs twice and 1 draw in championship in last 45 years. Meath have beaten Dubs 9 times and 5 draw in last 35 years. Kildare have beaten 2 top teams outside leisnter in championship in last 94 years eg kerry 98 Mayo 18. Meath have beaten 30 plus top teams in championship outside leinster in last 80 years. . kildare have never won league, Meath have won 7 league div 1 titles. I dont see any shame there.

You say kildare have new managemnent and underage sucess, well Meath have underage sucess and will have new manager next year. With huge underage talent in pipeline for both counties. Both will be div 2 next year, basically were both have been for 20 years trying to break into top 8 and failing. Thats a shame for both counties. I dont see where kildare shame Meath in terms of results, recent mettings, achievements, tradition. If anything Meath are ahead in most categories. All I see is kildare been hyped and Meath being hate by Dubs still.

So where are kildare shaming Meath. Other than you are hyping them up and shown a clear dislike for Meath. Your Dublin fan of course your going to hate Meath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Advertisement