Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Note Post #1 - The 2022 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

• Registered Users Posts: 14,796 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I genuinely think the Tailteann Cup match between Sligo and London is the best opportunity for RTE/GAA to promote the competition decently on The Sunday Game etc

If they didn’t already, I’d be putting together a proper highlights pack for it rather than having the usual Valerie Wheeler voiceover saying that ‘fans in attendance were served up an epic’ and proceed to show us 45 seconds of action

• Registered Users Posts: 26,580 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Well there is certainly no need to dwell too long on yesterday's provincial finals. Not a lot to be learned from either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,233 ✭✭✭threeball

Whether they want to admit it or not the football side of the GAA is in real trouble. Things have changed drastically in the last 20yrs and the competition is now barely viable.

I'm a diehard of both codes but it's got to the stage I barely watch any game bar the semis or finals and even then sometimes not. The quality of the spectacle is so poor, there's no chances taken anymore. Everything is so robotic and that's before you get into the gulf of not only top to bottom but top 3 to those below.

People say its the same in soccer with Liverpool and City but the nature of the game gives even poor opponents a chance if they defend doggedly enough. That's not the case in Gaelic games.

The results are predictable and inevitable. I sat down to watch Dublin Kildare yesterday hoping to see somewhat of a revival of the old Leinster finals we knew and loved (often rivalled the AIF for best occasion of the year) but switched off after 15mins.

The club game is great but IC is dead. The whole structure of how the competition is structured down to the counties system needs to be looked at. If people like me are this disinterested then I can't see younger people filling the void left. There's too many options for people and you need a product that's marketable or you'll become irrelevant quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

An embarrassing pathetic and gutless display from us yesterday I really can't understand how we went out there without any defensive plan whatsoever we just went out and bent over.

I know all the advantages Dublin have over us financial and otherwise but that was disgraceful from Kildare yesterday I mean we're obviously at nothing in training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭Xander10

I think I watched less than 5 mins of the Kerry game and not much more of the Dubs. Can't imagine the RTE viewing figures were much for these non events especially with the choice of a competitive Rugby game on Virgin.

Will the GAA ever overhaul the failing format?

Might as well just give Kerry Sam now and save the torture between now and July.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Will the GAA ever overhaul the failing format?

Don't know if you have noticed but the answer to your question is yes, in 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

On the bright side today's Provincial Finals should be far more competitive affairs

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

Great points. The fact that both Kildare and Limerick will be in the top competition next year and we got results like yesterday really shows how serious the issue is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

As usual though the GAA is making half changes trying to please everyone and no one. Half assed stuff.

I know the real stoppage to the GAA making real change - ie moving provincials to preseason competition and expanding league to Home AND away. Making leagues main competition.

It is Is there is too much democracy in the GAA. Every man and his dog has a say. If it was a more autocratic organisation things could be done properly. And get done fast no messing.

In the GAA instead there is the exact opposite of this which leads to reluctance/inability to make real change. And if it is done at all - it is a snails pace. Or done in a bitty manner - not even half done.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

"Every man and a dog has his say" says the lad who comes onto forums telling everyone exactly how GAA championships should be 🤣

In fairness it was the start Dublin made blitzed Kildare. Knocked the stuffing out of them. Worse still second goal which ended the game as a contest - was fortunate. The speedy start at pace meant Kildare didn’t have the time to get ball into those dangerous forwards enough.

Even still Kildare hit about 7 poor wides I think. They didn’t convert those.

I thought Kildare would come out flying at Dublin. Instead the opposite happened.

From a Dublin perspective Dublin over reliant on Con O’Callaghan. Dublin are an average div1 team without him.

Was impressed with Gannon at corner back. But the Dublin fb line was not really tested. Against the really top teams I am not sure Dublin will get away with - attack is the best form of defence. Plus if Dublin do not start well they don’t have the subs to chase a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

How do you people seeing todays games going? I'd give the Rossies a good chance of upsetting Galway. Derry have been impressive so far but can they beat the professional like Donegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I think Galway will beat Roscommon by 4-5 points. The Derry/ Donegal is harder to call. It will depend on which Donegal team turns up.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Who other than Kerry are 'really top teams' though? Even without upping their game much from yesterday I'd back Dublin to beat anybody except the Kingdom...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Yes a good marketing job would make all the difference. Give it the importance it deserves.

The TC could become the "Championship in English football" of GAA, in that people find it more enjoyable, more competitive and see new match ups compared to the usual Dublin/Mayo, Dublin/Kerry etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Id like them to have tried something different with it, pick a suitable game for a friday night televised. Early and late game pn sunday etc, could have had the other one late last night and ensure all televised etc.

It has gone completely under the radar this weekend which is disappointing as a tiered tournament is the only way to go with the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

The reaction to the second goal was disappointing. Needed to settle, maybe respond with a point or two, give the crowd something to get stuck into, but in typical fashion, you had balls into the goalies hands, a low percentage goal chance blazed a mile wide when crying out for a point and then forcing a long pass which was intercepted and dublin go down the field for the third goal without a hand laid on them.

No leadership when it was badly needed. They actually got the bodies back and protected their goal properly in the 2nd half, even with dublin at half pace. What a pity it didnt occur to them prior to conceding 5 goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

They should mimic the hurling, put all of the strongest 16 teams into the Connacht and Ulster championships, put say Kerry and Clare into Connacht and Dublin into Ulster. Let Kildare and Meath play in a secondary competition, make them step up and win their way back into the top teir. Maybe you need an intermediate teir as well, but this isn't working. Disband the Leinster championship altogether along with Münster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Galway to win by about 2 and Derry to beat Donegal by about 5.

A come here Munster has 4 of that top 16 right now. I'm not advocating for saving the provincials or anything but we are more than Kerry and Clare.

Finally we are getting a good ding dong battle in the championship

Great goal by Shane Walsh

Great to see teams looking to kick it. Quality lacking a bit but wind is strong at the minute.

Not sure what Roscommon have to do to win a free of this ref

If the Rossies cut out the wides they have the beating of Galway

Lucky break for Galway there off the post and another goal

Great finish. Drop kick into top corner

• Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭dobman88

How are defenders always on the back foot for the ball off the post when they should be the most alert to it. Roscommon defender today, Kildare defender yesterday. Very soft goals to be shipping

• Advertisement

Eamonn Fitz is good and funny at times. Pity he's got such a boring tone.

Advertisement