Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Note Post #1 - The 2022 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Hurling double-header tickets were 40 each for stand today so probably not far off that

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Ah, love the euphemisms. Geezus, would you ever speak in plain language?! Presumably by 'go at it' you mean pulling, dragging, and sledging on and off the ball. Lovely stuff. Umpires and linesmen won't intervene as normal. O'Hora is not a great footballer. He can barely kick the ball. He's a stopper. He was lauded in the league final even though he got a roasting. The GAA cognescenti love that, a rogue in other words. I could name prominent examples from the Dublin, Meath and Cork teams of yesteryear. So he got a free pass because he's deemed a hard man, even though he was taken to the cleaners. And Clifford apart from being a one in a million brilliant footballer, is 'well able to look after himself.' As I say, gotta love those GAA euphemisms. If the GAA were serious about discipline, they'd introduce citing like rugby, introduce proper sanctions for foul play, and get rid of the ridiculous appeals process.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭rogerywalters

• Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭dobman88

I dont remember saying I meant pulling dragging and sledging. Fair enough a bit of pulling and dragging might go on but sledging is one thing I absolutely despise and really hate to see it. So if you're going to try and put words in my mouth, I wont bother engaging.

I expect every player on the pitch to go at it, that is give 100% of themselves and play hard within the rules of the game. I hope that's clear enough for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Id hardly say Tyrone saw to Kerry easily enough. Barely got over the line in extra time on a day where nothing went right for Kerry. Kerry gave them far more of a challenge than Mayo did in the AI.

The record of this Mayo team in Croke Park is nothing special either. This isnt the team that ran the Dubs 6 in a row team so close a few times. Other than that mad half last year v Dublin when the Dubs imploded after dominating the first half, there hasnt been all that many notable displays in HQ since 2017.

Having said that, I agree that Kerry might well be overrated. The likes of Paudie Clifford and Stephen O Brien love soloing at defenders and taking them on, hugely effective against lesser teams, but was a liability v Tyrone last year and better defences will strip the ball off them. Also we as yet dont know if this "new and improved" defence is all that yet until they are proven at top level championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Kalyke

I think you will find O Hora was unhappy with Clifford taunting an injured Mayo player.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

One of the main reasons why Kerry lost last year to Tyrone they were looking beyond Tyrone to the final. Mayo are the greatest team to cause upsets they have done it for years but not in an All Ireland. Kerry made hard work of beating Cork until the final 10 mins when they ran away because of their fitness of playing in division 1.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,968 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Really hope Mayo come through, hate playing Kerry in Croker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭HBC08

Clifford was standing over Jordan Flynn telling him to get up,Flynn just had his ankle broken in a challenge,O Hora was nearest and let him know,that's it no big deal.

Clifford isn't a nasty guy or footballer,he just got that wrong thinking Flynn was milking it.Theyve both addressed it and said there was nothing in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

I felt that Tyrone v Kerry semi was only going one way from early in the second half. With the 2020 loss to Cork it was another underachievement.

Mayo don't underachieve so much. They just can't win an All Ireland. Looking at their all ireland finals,1989, Cork were better. 1997, probably as good as Kerry but didn't deliver. 2004 and 2006, no shame, Kerry were well better. 2012, they let Donegal off with an early lead. Probably Donegal a bit better overall. 2016/2017 playing the greatest team of all time. Still, goalie change in 2016 for replay and self inflicted wounds.

2020 a young Mayo team losing to a better team. 2021, semi final form not replicated.

Galway are a county who have accumulated some recent baggage in Croke Park. Huge year for them. Derry and Armagh haven't been there bar one Armagh quarter final in 2015. Cork haven't been good enough, unlike Galway. Galway have a huge opportunity to reach a final. And if they got on a roll, who knows. Shaping up to be interesting at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,382 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Not this shite again!

This is totally untrue.

Clifford was nowhere near Flynn on the ground. He was 15 yards away facing towards the Mayo goals when O'Hora shoves him in the back.

Some Mayo journalists on Twitter said that Clifford "must have said something" to Flynn on the ground and lads ran with it.

However if you look at the TG4 footage from the Tactics Camera high up on the Hogan Stand, Clifford doesn't go near O'Hora. I was also at the game and he wasn't near Flynn.

This idea that Clifford is some sort of villain in the whole incident with O'Hora (which was blown out of proportion) is a fantasy I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭thesultan

If the dubs win which they should the undercooked tag that haunts Kerry might catch Dublin..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Well I was not there. But the change that I saw from O Hora was immediately after the Flynn injury. Either way the 2 involved have moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Hunt_Morris

Up front too, Stephen O'Brien and Paul Geaney have a lot of football played without too many medals to show for it. The semi-final with the Dubs will surely be the de-facto final.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,272 ✭✭✭tanko

Gaelic football and hurling are the only sports in the world where the hungriest team always wins. If Mayo can go longer than Kerry without eating before the game i can see them winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,572 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

You actually almost got me with that one. Reread the last line just before posting and realized I was duped.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

It won't "surely" be the de-facto final imv, All-Ireland finals take on a life of their own when teams get that far, there are no cups awarded for semi-final victories

• Registered Users Posts: 8,233 ✭✭✭threeball

I dont think so. Apart from Cork and Clare I think any of the remaining have the potential to take out any of the others if it comes together on the day.

Most interesting all ireland series in over a decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Anyone care to guess what crowd could turn up for the Derry Dublin double header?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭rogerywalters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Their looks likely to be two pretty tight to call semi finals I am expecting a Nordie semi along with Dubs and Kerry in the other and would give all a chance to win out .

Hard to call. The cost of everything has sky rocketed, least of all a tank of petrol or a hotel if some mad fckers can afford to stay over.

I'll go for a generous 50k on the basis that I think Derry will travel in huge numbers but wouldn't be surprised if it was around 40k or less. Clare won't travel, neither will Cork and the Dubs will have their usual season ticket/Parnell pass support which is pretty high.

Will the Sunday double header sell out. I'd say it'll go pretty close.

Wont be anywhere near a sell out. If they got 60k for that it would be dream land stuff. Be 40-45k at it.

I'd expect big crowds from Mayo, Galway and Armagh. Galway don't normally travel but this Armagh game is an interesting one. I think there'll be big numbers this time round.

Fair enough. And hopefully you're right cos I'll be at it so would be great to have a crowd to generate an atmosphere.

Maybe I'm overestimating the affect the cost of everything going up will have as that's the main reason I dont see people travelling. I know the old joke about Kerry folk waiting for the final but I genuinely can't blame any fan for not travelling in these times. I dont think Galway will bring big numbers either

I just cant see it getting close to a sell out at all tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭HBC08

Haha! Galway are 2nd only to Cork as the worst supported football team in the country.About 3k of them managed to make the long trek down the road to MacHale Park for Mayo Galway game and that's being generous.Clare will have as many there asthem

I'd expect a big crowd from Armagh and Mayo as per usual.Mayo fans didn't travel in huge numbers numbers for the kildare game as there was a point to be made about a round 2 qualifier being scheduled at 6pm on a Sunday in Croke Park.However they still had the biggest support of any of the teams that day.Expect normal service to be resumed on Sunday week.

I'd say overall we'd to looking at 45k there in total for the double header.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Not Kilmacud, but we played in the St Judes Junior 7s in 1997. Played a team from Cavan whose name escapes me, but they has the 3 Reilly brothers that had played in Cavan's Ulster final win and AI semi final a few weeks earlier. They had one of them in goals, was strange at the time to see them kicking it back to him at times and him coming on the overlap.

3 out of the 7 players were them Reilly lads, hard for a crowd of lads up on the bus to go on the beer to chase them hoors down I can tell ya, but they beaten in the final though IIRC by another northern team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Advertisement