Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Note Post #1 - The 2022 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

His uncle Paidi was really good friends with Brian Cowen. The later advised him to play Seamus Moynihan at full back in 2000. There seems to be a bit of connection from the 70s and 80s too.

As a Laois person I find it hard to recall a worse weekend.

Against Wicklow, yes we went down to Division 4. But Wicklow were last in the table and we beat them by 12 pts last month.

I see at home 4 and 5 clubs joining up to make minor football teams. Clubs that 30 years ago all had a minor team. Our population split in 2 codes isn't helping. We have 82,000 pop. But about 20,000 commuters or Dubs who's kids generally don't play. We have to sort that.

We were missing 5 first starters v KK but the game was over at half time.

From 1995 -2007 we won 3 All Ireland minor football titles and won many provincial minor and u21 titles in football. A senior Leinster in 2003. Played finals in Leinster senior in 2004, 2005 and 2007.

Our hurlers are performing to potential in staying Liam McCarthy and Div 1. But the arse has totally fallen out of football. Since 2010 we've had Sean Dempsey, Justin McNulty, Tomas O'Flatharta, Peter Creedon, Mick Lillis, John Sugrue, Mike Quirke and now Billy Sheehan as managers. 8 managers in 12 years! Our highlights being an AI QF v Dublin in 2012, lost by 3 pts. A Leinster final double digit loss to Dublin in 2018. Even since 2018 we've nose dived.

Fair play to Wicklow. Far the better team. They've produced many good ones. Kevin O'Brien, Pat O'Byrne, Conan Daye, Leighton Glynn.

They deserve their day. Congrats to Wicklow gaels.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,421 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

From talking to a few lads who played under him at various levels, Sheehan seems to be the biggest spoofer going.

I'm surprised they were so bad against Wicklow- they are usually good for a win or two in the province and generally punch above their weight.

True. He is. That's the way we've to try and move on.

Congrats on the football win. Very good win. Ye gave Dublin plenty last year.

The hurling. That was one left behind.

• Advertisement

Difference between today and yesterday is that the footballers went out with an actual, identifable gameplan while it was hard to distinguish what the hurlers were at. They had a solid league and a tame championship so far. The footballers has a disappointing league, but according to reports put in hours of prep and fitness work in readiness for today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,448 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

They should try to get relegated to Division 4, that’s where it’s at these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,698 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Even if he hand passed you cannot hand pass into the goal. It did not touch a Donegal player on the way in as far as I could see. Refs should have consulted his umpires, but call.lookef correct.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 15,278 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I would be slow enough to christen Galway All Ireland semi finalists.

Roscommon are more than capable of beating them if they meet later, as are Galway well capable of beating Roscommon.

And with only Div 1 and Div 2 teams eligible the quarter finals could be very competitive this year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I think this is the current state of things:

SFC Qualifiers:

Armagh

Mayo

Tailteann Cup:

London

NY

Antrim

Carlow

Laois

Fermanagh

Offaly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Hit the nail on the head about the manager, he managed a friend intermediate team for a year and was a disaster and put them back with lads walking away, the lads from Port are not on the panel a total of six fellas that would start yesterday and started with a 36 year old fullback on a quick Wicklow full forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

An unbelievable individual performance from Ben Brosnan in his 15th year of championship football 1-9 out of 1-15 a great return.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

With so many finish on the day games now especially in the championship, the notion of refs playing for the draw is surely dead.

From what I've seen the Ladies Football time-keeping system is far far superior.

Seems to be utter rank stupidity by the powers that be that football and hurling don't adopt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Jayus I just realised Dublin managed to make Armagh look like a top notch side in the league. If I was in the Wexford camp I would secretly thinking great chance of a shock down in the South East.

The scary thing is to beat Dublin it does not even have to be fancy or complicated. A few fast lads to run at that Dublin back line. Plus a lump to win high balls it should create havoc. Just go for the Dublin back line.

I expect Dublin to be easy enough to defend against usually going sideways and backwards solely. Very few Dublin lads are willing to break forwards. A side very dependent on frees. That is this Dublin teams lifeblood - a handy free.

I know it is a bad thing to say. But watching the Dublin football team is really frustrating at the moment. Part of me wants the misery to end quick.

It’s the worst football I have ever seen a Dublin team play. And that is including the Dublin flaky team of the 00’s. At least they ran at teams! No sideways stuff for the sake of it in those days.

It makes it all the worse that there are still 3/4 top players there from ‘the great era’ but because the organisation from management is so poor. It almost makes it irrelevant,

It will be a curious thing to see how Wexford approach it. In their mind are they going to be playing ‘the Dubs’? Or what Dublin really are = disjointed poorly run side, that can be got at?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

20 years ago I would have agreed with you. Ok there might be the odd anomaly of teams not been ‘tuned in’. But by and large div1 in football at the top. Is a good indicator of where a team is.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Mickey Graham wouldn't agree with you. He has taken Cavan to an Ulster final in 2019 (first since 2001), an Ulster win in 2020, a first round loss to Tyrone in 2021 (poor year granted but it was the eventual AI winners) and has just beaten an Antrim team that some people labelled better because they were in Division 3 by 13 points. He's done that whilst getting relegated every year in the League bar this year.

We have had the cute Kerry hoor.

Now folks we have a jackeen downplaying the Dubs!

Spillane would be proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

You'd miss the days of Westmeath and Laois winning Leinster! Wicklow caused a few shocks under Mick too...Fermanagh up north as well.

I suppose Cavan and Monaghan are this periods standouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Breifne Blue

Championship is what matters not league. Cavan are in the semi finals again after 2 Ulster finals in 3 years and one Ulster not title. Not bad for a "Division 4 team".

But I fail to see what Cavan are to do with McGeeny and Armagh's appalling Championship record. They have barely won a championship match under McGeeney.

But hey at least they celebrated like an All Ireland for a few league wins in February!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭dobman88

Tipp won Munster football in 2020. That's a standout result too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Forgot about that! Made the AI semis few years back too.

Not sure why Sky Sports picked Dublin Wexford in the football to televise next weekend, huge mismatch and Wexford don't have much support.

Haha I am honestly not. I do be disgusted watching the Dubs footballers especially live. Can really see lack of movement of the players etc. Clueless basic stuff. Only for the Dublin hurlers showing some fight I would be going demented.

—-

As for the football div 1 and championship form correlation. It has shown too often to be a coincidence. League div 1 final or win likely means a good championship/sign of a coming side. Cork, Kerry, Mayo, Dublin, Derry, Tyrone. Dublin had no League win between 93 and 2013. Beaten by great Cork side in 2011 who won previous league in 2010. It was a sign Dublin were progressing.

And the great Cork side broke up after that. Had three leagues 10 11 12 / Sam in 2010.

Retired. I remember they had two 15’s of giants it seemed like. League definitely an indicator of Championship. In football div 1 anyway. Will anyone be shocked if The Kingdom do the double?

Look how many doubles Dublin have done or finals they reached in league div1.

Becasuse of the population of Dublin their games will always be on television.

There's a world of difference between the league in terms of football and hurling.

With the round-robins in the hurling championship and the small numbers competing in Liam McCarthy, there's very much a phony war air around the hurling league because teams know they are pretty much guaranteed to meet each other at least once and probably twice if they progress.

It's completely different in the football league, there's a huge correlation between teams who do well in the league and the championship.

It's obviously not a perfect indicator and you will always get exceptions like Cavan but since it went to 4 divisions the league has generally been a very good indicator of a team's form come championship.

I don't think the likes of this game should be and I don't think their hurlers get all televised matches.

I also don't think Dubs fans themselves would be fussed with it not being televised. It's not competitive enough in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Yeah, even with Dublin having regressed, the bookies still have that game as a 13 point spread so they don't think it will be close.

Westmeath v Longford would have been a better game to show

• Registered Users Posts: 26,572 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I think it's good RTE show games involving teams from the lower divisions like this div 2 vs div 4 clash 😜

If people really wanted to see it from Dublin they would go down to Wexford. Nice spot and handy spin.

But Dublin are still a draw for broadcasters a ‘glamour’ team. Plus have to think of Wexford people facing the Dubs own back yard on telly.

If I remember correctly Dublin faced Wexford last years opener in championship. Down in Wexford. Dublin really struggled sluggish performance. Score line was not reflective of the game.

And I believe were relying on Costello’s frees. Many brushed it off at the time as ‘cobwebs’. But it was an indicator of what was to come.

I still think if Wexford are more adventurous this time. They could really push Dublin. It is only Dublin’s past reputation and fear factor of Dublin that hinders Wexford.

If Wexford are brave they can get goals against this Dublin team. The defence plays like a div3 side porous. And half the Dublin attack plays like the div2 side that they are.

Edit- Just checked last year Dublin 15-Wexford 7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,272 ✭✭✭tanko

Am i right in saying that there’s no super 8’s this year and it’s straight knockout from the QF’s on?

Advertisement