Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most disturbing movie you have seen?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭Vittu

I must have been around 9 or 10 and mother was gone off and father let us watch IT that night. Big mistake.

I also saw Hound of the Baskervilles when i was younger, back in 80's and that scared the shite of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I remember the one at the end of MASH. Not graphic but was very emotional

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭bejeezus

9 or 10? Yeah, I must have been around that too. They had it on tv at around 9pm- I think -and I had a look. The blood from the tap, the clown appearing from the clothesline . Tim curry was devilish as penny wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭Vittu

Living in the countryside and having to walk a mile home from your friends in the dark after watching a horror was brutal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,021 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I had this recurring nightmare as a kid of a sheet of glass sliding off and decapitating someone - it was only when I watched the Omen (for what I thought was the first time) at around 19 or 20 that I realised I must have seen that scene as a kid and it just embedded itself in my brain!

A Serbian film.

It's so bleak. Worth a watch though. But **** hell.

Mother was another good shout. Draining and something I might never watch again but fascinating.

Midsommar was very difficult to watch but also brilliant.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Threads.

Once it all kicks off it goes so bleak, so depressing - right up to the very final unrelenting scene - that it's stuck with me for years.

Oooooh....

This thread sparked a memory.

Tony.

A 2009 English film.

Amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I've seen a lot of films that other people call disturbing but I have only ever seen one film that truly disturbed me. Martyrs. Do NOT go and see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Parts of Requiem for a Dream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The second one is even more disturbing. There's a third one as well, but that one is just pain silly.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Agreed. Second sequence of human centipede is by far the most disturbing, the third one is the most graphic

Irreversible. The clue is in the title, you can't unsee it. Gasper noe really needed a hug the year before that was made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Martyrs is bloody awesome. One of the very few movies I've ever watched that i was thinking about days later.

Another one that hasn't been mentioned is one that i saw a good few years ago and have zero inclination to ever watch again.

The War Zone, directed by Tim Roth and starring Ray Winstone. About a small family and the despicable acts of the father who Winstone plays. Really challenging movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭homingbird

Another case of then & now it doesn't add up but did at the time.https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093036/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

It has been a long time since I have seen it but I remember that it is very heavy going throughout with that scene (involving Connelly) near the end being very, very upsetting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭thefallingman

Modern film probably unbreakable for the way the pows were treated by the japs, really disturbing stuff.

i remember salems lot and the omen scaring me as a kid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

the crying game

I have never seen this. Never had the opportunity.

I have vague memories of the time it was released and there being a lot of talk about it on the radio but cannot remember if people in Ireland were outraged or just bewildered.

I’m pretty sure though that for all the talk about it no one actually spoiled the reveal about the love interest. It was a few years later that it got spoiled for me.

i have the song going through my head now - I think I know most of the words

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

This hilarious ad sums up the crying game 😂

Yes, it’s not a film I’d have an inclination to rewatch.

cinematography is beautiful but it is tough going…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

I was 5 in 1983 when the full uncut version of the Triller music video was played out on a kids Saturday morning show.I was traumatised! I think they had to apologise or something afterwards.

Requiem For A Dream,I watched it in bits with a healthy dose of the fear on a Sunday night.Great movie but I wasn't right after it.

Your last line sums it up..

’ I wasn’t right after it ‘ same feeling as I had… watched it in the IFI and went straight into the Oak after, for an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭xper

I saw the Cry Game first week of release. there had been a huge amount of publicity/controvesey about it in the press but at that stage that was all about it portraying an IRA man holding a British soldier hostage in a sympathetic light. There had been no mention of 'the reveal'. I still wonder how much of that was brilliantly work by the promoters and how much just happened because of the public disposition to the troubles in the UK and Ireland at the time.

Most disturbing film, impact wise, I've seen was Piranha (1978). Didn't help that I was 8/9 at the time.

Actually that said, as brilliant as it was, I don't think I've been able to watch Schindler's List all the way through again since first viewing in a packed but silent Savoy 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Four Lions.

Look past the black comedy aspects and there is a very disturbing movie there.

The scene with the main character talking with his family in their kitchen for just one example. Here are intelligent, loving, empathetic people, he is a normal man with a bright son, she is a nurse, and they are calmly discussing his upcoming suicide bombing.

There are parts of that movie that are very, very real and it has stuck with me since I watched it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

Come and See. A Belorussian WW2 film would get my vote. Pretty brutal stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

A few films. As someone mentioned, Deliverance messed me up. Requiem for a Dream, not so much. But the movie that inspired it (and also inspired Darren Aronofsky's Black Swan), Satoshi Kon's Perfect Blue (animated, and brilliantly so) genuinely messed me up, It's a very dark, disturbing movie.

In the Mouth of Madness was a movie I saw a few years ago. It's by John Carpenter, and it's a very, very dark and disturbing movie. Watched it late at night, with a few beers and snacks, and it was deeply unsettling.

A really disgusting film, unintentionally so, was The General's Daughter, with John Travolta. It involves the investigation of a rape of a female soldier, and it's horribly disgusting. The movie isn't 'meant' to make you feel disgusted and disturbed afterwards-it's just how it made me feel. The way the rape is filmed is 'titillating' rather than filmed to be disgusting. Don't see it repeated very often. Thankful for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Of course not, just suppressed it all down nicely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,460 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Snow White and The 7 Dwarfs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭yagan

When I saw the thread title the movie that came to mind was Saviour, and I'm glad to see I wasn't alone in thinking that.

i see all the usual hitters here but the unlikely one that freaked me out as a kid and still is absolutely nuts is "Return to Oz" when after the previous adventures in oz when basically dorethy is consigned to a mental institution because of her mad tales from oz and she's only a wee girl! it's insane...

and of course it has the baddest mofo's around , the mothefockin Wheelers!

Haha! I thought I was the only one that had seen this. It’s a little obscure and less viewed than the wizard of oz ,and it is decidedly creepy. I agree

Post edited by bejeezus on

Return to Oz is one of my favourite films. Harlan Ellison and Neil Gaiman were two of the few voices who genuinely championed that film when it came out.

(It flopped on release).

Joker.

I’ve enjoyed Batman since I was a kid in the 70’s and sat down to watch this thinking it was going to be some mindless/light hearted fun.

funny at that exact time i was watching the same thing, came with a serious warning!

something truly horrific about a child undergoing experimental shock therapy in a cold asylum full of howling voices :) that's proper horror

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭blackbox

Eraserhead by David Lynch.

Amazed nobody has already mentioned it - maybe very few have seen it.

The feelgood movie of the year. :)

Has some amazing effects and puppetry in it too. I know the scene with the witch who has all these heads on shelfs is a moment that genuinely scares kids.

I was lucky-first time I saw that movie, as a kid, I was fascinated by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

for me it has to be A Serbian Film

a disturbing film around the same time that Martyrs came out was another French film called Inside which leaves you reeling

David Lynch always traumatizes you. He did another film called Lost Highway that's unsettling. Came out in 1997, and stars Bill Pullman and Robert Blake (and Blake's presence, especially knowing how a few years after, he was accused of murder) as well as Patricia Arquette.

Also Elephant Man is wonderfully made, but also heartbreaking.

Shame he doesn't direct much anymore. Has gone full on into Transcendental meditation, and seems happier.

After reading your post the memory has had jump start and I do now remember the whoppty-do was indeed all about the portrayal of an IRA man.

Clearly the majority of the complainers never even saw the movie.

Funny how no one who did see it never brought the love interest up in any of the debates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Requiem For A Dream didn't personally disturb me (it's one of my favourite movies), but when I first went to see it in the IFC, the guy beside be was literally curled up in a ball in his seat, rocking back and forth, repeatedly saying "Oh God! Oh God!" at the final scene. Then a couple of years later, at the very beginning of my relationship with my now wife, I invited her over to my place to watch a movie. Stuck on RFAD, thinking she'd be as impressed with it as I was. Got totally engrossed in watching it, but I noticed she was very quiet towards the end. Turned to find tears streaming down her face, and her stuck - literally with her hand over her open mouth - in silent horror. Learnt a lesson that night: there'a a reason romcoms exist.

I'd read all about Irreversible before watching it. The fire extinguisher scene is certainly graphic, and the rape scene is uncomfortably unrelenting. But I found it more over-indulgent than disturbing, but maybe that's because I knew what to expect.

Mother is fairly unrelenting, and the bit with the baby is obviously hard hitting, but I watched it twice, two nights in a row. I think it's a fascinating movie. Definitely one I didn't watch with my wife!

Human Centipede, I have to admit I was very disturbed just by the very concept of it before seeming it. We had a very strange conversation about it in work, and it kept me awake for a few nights thinking about it. I saw it then a few months later, and by then I think the edge had been taken off it a bit.

But the one scene in a move that disturbed me the very most is an unusual one, that In guess most people didn't really bat an eyelid at. The jellyfish scene in Sphere. I watched that on my own on DVD, and I was the one curled up on my seat, rocking back and forth, whispering "Oh God! Oh God!". Not a fan of jellyfish.

Was I the only one who thought 'Mother!' was funny? Genuinely thought it tried too hard, and the baby eating scene became a comedy to me.

Michelle Pfeiffer and Ed Harris were great in it. Jennifer Lawrence was terrible. Everything was so on the nose, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I don't know what the film was, as it was on the TV when I was a kid in the 80's, but there was a really disturbing scene where a load of girls (maybe boys as well?) were all queuing up to have their hands chopped off, and they were all wilful participants, so like a cult of some sort... It was on the grounds of some big country style house/estate

But that scene always disturbed me and over 30 years later I still remember it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭kal7

Psycho and Seven left most mark on me.

Jaws for my wife, repeatedly asks me when in sea surf or swim whether there are great white in ireland.

Sounds like Demonoid (1980/ 1981). Can't post the trailer, cos it's nsfw.

But it starred Samantha Eggar.

• Advertisement
Advertisement