Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary shed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

You'll find that one is made of steel that would be too thin to make a decent biscuit tin.

Assembly might be OK moving and reassembly forget it.

Note the thickness of the metal panels is 0.25 mm.

and that includes the coating which must account for more than half of that.

Put up on a solid base they aren't too bad, neighbor has one, but I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Have to agree; a decent steel shed is thousands rather than hundreds of euros, and even then taking one apart and reassembling it would be a job for professionals. And you are not taking the concrete base, so you need a second one of those. Moving a good shed might be worth it, messing about with one of the cheap ones is just not worth it. Apart from the fact that they rattle like a pile of cans and would not stand up to being put in an exposed spot (friend had one, it fell apart).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

I got one of that type before. Unless they are very flimsy and tricky to put together. Not woth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Chelon

Thanks for the replies, it is a bit of a problem. Only other thing I was thinking of was maybe renting a small lockup but no idea if they are readily available in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

A small traditional wooden shed 6x6 would set you back about 550-600 without a base. They're available in a lot of places.

Something like this: https://www.abwood.ie/shop/garden-sheds/garden-shed

I know someone who dismantled one and took it to their new house, think it was about 10x8 size and it was a few years old at the time. When it was re-built and re-painted it looked fine and is still going strong five years later.

• Advertisement

Just thinking there's no real requirement for security for the stuff I'll be storing just to keep it dry and accessible really - got me thinking of maybe a gazebo type affair with zip up doors or similar, does anyone have any ideas at all?

I have had several things - currently a fairly large load of stacked timber - just stored under tarps. A couple of concrete blocks on each side holding it down (take a cord through the eyelets), but the main thing is to have the edges held down flat to the ground, does the job. My timber has survived since last autumn like that, and its coming into the summer so hopefully fewer strong wind events.

That sounds ok for stuff like timber but my stuff is on plastic shelving, I'd need access to it so a walk-in shelter would be ideal. Doesn't really need to be secure just kept dry.

A polytunnel might work, but those cheap polytunnels are virtually useless unless you have a very sheltered spot to put them, and a lot of guy-ropes, weights etc to hold it down. We put one up in an admittedly exposed spot and after two days realised it was not going to survive, so we moved it to a spot where it would be sheltered by buildings and a tall hedge. One early summer wind event saw it destroyed, I think we had it for about a month altogether.

• Advertisement
Advertisement