Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I see fibre reams on telephone poles

Options
  • 04-04-2022 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭

Hi

Does this mean fibre is coming soon? Also, I'm one of the people who once had a phone line through ducting, how will this work? I would imagine the ducting is 70 years old

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,347 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Eir have done most of the profitable routes

If you are on a side road where only a few houses, you could have quite a wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

ducting is not a problem at all, the problem is if you are over x metres distance from the local eircom distribution cabinet you wont get a quality signal,so eircom wont provide you with with a broadband service. if you drive around you,ll see large metal boxs cabinets, beside the road, 4.5 x4 ft in size. the esb ones have a esb sign on them., this boxs are where the fibre comes from.

i read about local community schemes where they actually dig trenches on farms to put ducting in so the village can be connected to the BT broadband service.this does not happen in ireland , probably because eircom owns most of the telecom networks for underground cables, fibre, and pot, pots =plain old telephone service .

the new broadband scheme is designed to provide funding for telecom providers to run fibre to local rural area,s ,villages etc where is not viable to run cables underground, they,ll have to dig new trenchs and install waterproof ducting ,this is an expensive process .say you live down the end of a boreen in kerry it would cost 1000s of euros to run a fibre cable to your house .https://www.mynewsdesk.com/uk/btregions/pressreleases/community-scheme-brings-high-speed-fibre-broadband-to-derbyshire-villages-2107241

theres telecom ducts and cables underground in every towns and citys so its much cheaper to send fibre to anyone who wants it

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

No no, I'm in an estate in Dublin. Estate has vdsl. (I have VM)

My neighbours have telephone poles and connections

Just me.and a few other housesnhave ducting

I'm hoping the fibre gets rolled out to me too and not just those whom are currently connected to poles

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its strung up in ours for almost a year, if not more. No availability yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,531 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

i read about local community schemes where they actually dig trenches on farms to put ducting in so the village can be connected to the BT broadband service.this does not happen in ireland , probably because eircom owns most of the telecom networks for underground cables, fibre, and pot, pots =plain old telephone service .

This one in Kilkenny - How this rural Irish community built its own broadband network (siliconrepublic.com)

Broadband 4 Our Community – Full Fibre Broadband for Piltown & Fiddown (betterbroadbandforpiltown.com)

Is there one in Waterford too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Those are not fibre they are standard black telecom cables containing 20 -30 pairs ,each pair can connect 1 telephone line , which can be used for broadband if you are with a certain distance of the telephone exchange.

Post edited by riclad on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,531 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Are you referring to my reply to your previous post?

If so please note the information in the links I posted, "full-fibre broadband". No one is rolling out copper these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Riclad regularly posts nonsense.

Advertisement