Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unable to get parcel deliveries from An Post

Options
  • 05-04-2022 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi, I'm a resident in a gated complex that uses a "Fob" system to enter the complex via a pedestrian gate and a main vehicle gate.

Up until recently An Post van drivers were able to gain access to deliver parcels with a "Fob".

I have noticed that items I have ordered online are being returned marked "Unable to deliver" because the the management company has requested the return of th "Fob" used for entry.

Surely this is classed as "Interfering with the process of delivering an item of mail" and therefore illegal.

Could anyone inform me as to what are the legalities surrounding this because I think the management company are breaking some law or at the very least operating in some legal "Grey Area".

I have sent emails to the management company but they have all been ignored and remain unanswered.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Q

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Presumably everyone in the apartment complex will have the same problem? Shouldn't be difficult to co-ordinate with your neighbours to approach the management company in numbers that they can't ignore.

I don't think there is any offence here. While it is an offence to obstruct An Post, or its employees and agents, in the execution of postal duties, I don't think a passive failure to provide access to premises where post is to be delivered would constitute the offence. If it did, everybody who found their post was not being delivered because they had locked their gate, or left a menacing dog at large in their garden, or whatever, would be committing a crime, and that's not how the provision has ever been understood. There's no positive duty in the legislation to allow An Post access to premises for purposes of making delivery. I think the assumption is that people want their post to be delivered; there is no need to threaten them with the criminal law to force them to facilitate delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, how do the residents of your complex receive deliveries from UPS/FedEx/DPD/Fastway etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

How does the postman get in with ordinary post? Are all parcel deliveries blocked for all residents?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Would AP not just leave a card with the letter post and you could collect at the post office?

That's what's supposed to happen. But you can't collect a parcel at your local post office, they hold it at the local 'Delivery Service Unit'. Which is typically your local sorting office.

We will try to deliver to the address at least once. If there is no one available to accept the parcel, we will leave you a notice explaining how to get it. Your options include collecting the parcel or having it redelivered to another address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Margaret Clarke

And they only open Monday to Friday 10-4 with an hour and a half for lunch. No use to most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

mine opens 7.30am - 7PM and don't close for lunch.

It depends on the office.

Some post offices hold parcels for collection too but I'm not sure for how long.

Is that in country areas and are you talking specifically about parcels that could not be delivered? OP mentioned a 'gated complex', which suggests he lives in a city so I'm guessing any parcels that can't be delivered will be held in the local sorting office 'delivery service unit'.

Yes an office in a large country town.

I know because I was despatched to collect a parcel there while on a recent visit.

I'd say you are right about gated complexes being more likely in the cities.

• Advertisement
Advertisement