Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firefox has stopped automatically opening CSV files in Excel

Options
  • 05-04-2022 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭

Up to about two weeks ago, when I clicked on a CSV file link on a website, Firefox used to automatically open it with Excel. It now shows me the 'Save' menu and there is no option to 'Open' the file'. I have made no changes to the Firefox settings and am using an old version of Excel so have not updated the application.

If I go into Firefox settings and scroll to 'Applications', I can see Excel listed but cannot see any way to associate the file extension 'CSV' with it. And CSV appears nowhere in that section. Which explains why I am now getting the Save option - because Firefox doesn't recognise the file extension. But it did up to a few weeks ago and always opened a CSV file with Excel.

How can I associate CSV with Excel so that Firefox will always open a CSV file in Excel with no option to Save?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Not sure it is FF issue, more like PC itself. Go Settings, search for ...

ensure it is set as Excel for .csv

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Thanks smuggler but that tells Windows what to do if I double-click a CSV file in Explorer. That setting would also apply if Firefox was to open the file or give me the option to tell it to open it but it was doing neither.

I found the solution, there is a different fix for Mac OS and Windows.....

Windows: Go into Firefox settings, scroll down to Applications. Find the line for Microsoft Excel Comma Separated Values File (TEXT/CSV)' and (in the right column), change the setting to 'Use Excel'.

Mac OS: click on a CSV file and let Firefox save it anywhere. Now click the three horizontal bars in the upper-right corner of the Firefox window and select 'Downloads' from the dropdown menu. The CSV file you just saved should be top of the list. Right click it and (if it's not already ticked) select the first option 'Always open similar files'. If it's already ticked, don't touch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I see.

Odd part - i dont even have line for "Microsoft Excel Comma Separated Values File (TEXT/CSV)" (FFv98.01 x64), only "Microsoft Excel Worksheet" to save file(and i prefer that way)

Glad you sorted

Advertisement