Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ownership of licenced rifles and optical sights

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

So, I still don't have my property back!

Garda in question had said there was no problem with me having stuff back (no surprise there for me, as it's my property). Said he'd contact me this week and it would be this week. Now while I understand in anything that there can be delays and the Gardai have other things to do too and while I'm not urgent, I'd just like to get this put to bed and have my stuff back.

I had to ring following up and got through to the Garda in question who told me it would be end of this week, if so fine, what I'm preparing for is especially given the weekend in it, that my property isn't handed into my possession. Then I might start to think I'm being given excuses and not explanations, what options is the best to resolve this?

On the phone next if items aren't available or fobbed off again?

Ask Garda his shoulder board number?as I didn't jot it down after speaking to him, (seems reasonable and fair to me so I can identify him to someone more senior in case there is another Garda with the same name in the same location, although I get the sense Gardai are bothered about giving that out).

Ask for Unit? Ask for Sergeant name to contact? Ask for Inspector name to contact? Superintendant? not even necessarily for me to contact, maybe for me to direct someone to send a letter. I'd prefer not be forced to take that approach.

I think I have been reasonable, patient and civil (obviously).

Either my property is available at my next contact and preferably I don't have to chase them down again, if not, whats the best option

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

As said before you need to lawyer up!

As any lawyer worth their fees would be ringing the station and sending legal writs to the Super of this district and station about AGS holding onto your property illegally. Or better still appearing at the hatch and demanding to speak to the Super in person. You are being too nice about this to all concerned who have jerked you around.

BTW I went thru the terms and conditions of the use of the PM lockers and it says NOTHING about drivers being able to leave the parcels with the garage for collection[It would defeat the whole purpose of PM]

The only thing it says about anything Vaugely relevant to you is;

Article 3 Prohibited items FIREARMS, WEAPONRY, AMMUNITION AND THEIR PARTS. At a very vague and stretching the limits is a rifle scope a part.

and the Right to inspect Your Parcel(S) may, at our option or at the request of government authorities, be opened and contents inspected by us or such authorities at any time. Doesn't apply either,as petrol heads are not Govt authorities...Unless we woke up in N Korea this morning!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

I'd prefer there wasn't needless hassle and just get my property back, I was thinking to preferably raise the question of asking for the Superintendants details to try move things along, if there isn't a response to getting them back or enquiring for the Superintendants details, I'll be getting a solicitor involved, I think if I go down myself demanding to speak to the Superintendant, it's possible they can twist things or keep me waiting or decline to deal with me, whereas a solcitiors letter is official and Id expect recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

This is what accepting illegal moves by PTB, or rolling over and accepting sub-standard service, get for EVERYONE not just you. Being afraid to stand-up for yourself, harms, not only your case but emboldens them to screw everyone, as has been shown time after time. Other posters on here making excuses for ILLEGAL practices, e.g. taking more than 3 months, do not help anyone. The law is the law, for them just like us. The more people that stand up for themselves, and go the legal route, if necessary, benefits us all.

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

All, just an update, I was busy so didn't have a chance at the time, but about 10 days I ago, I got my property back, I think there is still something to be said for being persistent and possibly even more trouble than you're worth by being annoying in a nice way than going in like a bull in a china shop (not using another idiom). Although I was unhappy with it dragging on, I got my property in the end, that's not to say it wouldn't be necessary to go the legal route eventually in some scenarios, But I don't think that route would have been any quicker in this case (and possibly would have dragged it out longer with the added bonus of the expensive for me).

Thanks for the advice, could lock thread or maybe better to leave it open if anyone sees it and has had a similar experience or wants to ask advice from respondents to the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭slipperyox

Order another one! 😉

Advertisement