Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I mean to be a primary teacher in Ireland you need Irish. I doubt any of the Ukrainians have that so you're limited to secondary and lots might not even have sufficient English for that. Same with medical staff. If you can't explain to your patient in English, what's wrongbor what you're checking for, you're not qualified really.

Also, I don't see why you'd have dedicated arrangements. Outside of allowing them to work, they can apply for jobs like everyone else. Hiring them just cos they're Ukrainian should not be acceptable.

No, they absolutely don't. Costs need to be reduced, subsidies just inflate prices further. Where the money goes in childcare I don't know, knew a few people working in it making peanuts and even doing college courses they'd come out on minimum wage. And they were paid by the hour, even though the creche charged by the "day". Who's making money from it I don't know but the answer isn't to give them more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,024 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I posted links at the start of the thread where the Red Cross said, for anyone looking to get paid, that the refugees were entitled to HAP and rent supplement. This article was from a month ago.

Did anyone except all the landlords offering accommodation were doing it and free? Some are buy many aren't.

The truth? hahaha... you're so transparent, I can see all the way through you.

Nope. Not getting into this with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Huh?

You have made some pretty big claims, but are now refusing to back them up. But that's my fault? 😕

Grand so. Will file it under the typical boring perpetual contrarian bullshít.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Hamachi

The level of English in the Ukraine is poor relative to Scandinavia, Germany, and the Netherlands. The % of the Ukrainian population capable of taking on professional roles and working entirely in English, is very low. Furthermore, have you examined the profile of the refugees landing here? It's primarily women with young children and pensioners. Hardly the demographic chomping at the bit to take on challenging and time-consuming careers..

The 'dedicated arrangements' that you posit are nonsense. Ukrainians should only be offered these roles if they have proven competence matching Irish / Western European standards, in addition to local language fluency. These are critical roles that demand a high level of training. I don't know about you, but I'm not amenable to having my kids' education compromised by a teacher who has a rudimentary grasp of English and for whom Irish may as well be Klingon.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

People are complaining we don't have the resources to handle all these refugees. All I'm pointing out is they are resources themselves and it makes absolute sense if there are qualified Ukrainian teachers they can be used to ease the pressure on educating those Ukrainian kids

But, but .... they can't speak Irish. Really? Do you think we should be making all these refugees try and learn Irish as well as English. And yes it may need some special arrangements to deal with a pretty exceptional situation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

The amount of Ukrainian refugees that are teachers that could be made made available to teach Ukrainian children is minuscule.

The employability of the vast majority is dependent on their level of English and their qualifications. Most of their qualifications will not be recognised here. That has been a big problem for polish and other Eastern European immigrants here, which is why we have many college graduates working in minimum wage jobs.

The same will be true for the Ukrainians, minimum wage jobs will be the best most of them can hope for.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭keoclassic

You can't just change the rules for one set of people based on these exceptional circumstances. Teachers in ireland have to be registered with the teaching council, vetted by the Gardaí and then must apply for the job they wish to do........ Via interview I might add! That's the law! As a profession, standards must be retained. This thing of making exceptions for the refuges ahead of our own is disgraceful. I have no issue with them working in their qualified professions as long as they meet the requirements set down in their relevant professions in the Irish context,the same requirements that Irish people must meet, and I hope that those that do meet such requirements and stay here ( with a valid visa) have a fullfilling working life in ireland.

Who is making exceptions for refugees before our own?

Your outrage is pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

My sister and her husband are taking Ukrainian refugees and they had Sirian refugees before this, the thing is they have not been allocated the refugees yet so it could be better organised.

This thread is a sewer at times is someone really comparing that the standard of English in their child's schools would be compromised by having Ukrainian refugees in their school.

Yes, Irish is a core part of our primary curriculum and it's our national language. It might be taught crap in schools but if they want to go through our full education system and stay here, they should adapt. Multicultural means they need to learn our culture and not just us learning theirs.

They will be teaching Ukrainian children the Ukrainian curriculum so they can continue their education.

Saying special arrangements means that tbh. They're just arrangements otherwise.

Plenty of kids coming here are exempt from Irish. It's not compulsory for everybody.

I was exempt myself, back in the 80s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Govt made a commitment. They should deliver them committments and should borrow like **** on the money markets to alleviate the very problem that existed before the war and is going to be even worse now. The Ukrainian people need accomodation and their lives rebuilt.

We need housing supply and lots of it for all of us Irish, Ukrainian refugees and everyone else.

Alas, I'm a renter and fully expect the Govt to start hoovering up available rental accomodation being charged at obscene rates by unscrupulous funds in an effort to try and hide this shitshow whilst at the same time not doing anything meaningful that will make a difference. And given how weak rent regulations are for renters, that fills me with fear as I've no immediate family to fall back on.

I'm literally awaiting the day my agent knocks on the door and says the apartment is going up for sale only for it to appear 5 months later back for rent at a significantly marked up rent rate.

We don't teach the Ukrainian curriculum in Irish schools. We teach the Irish curriculum. Are you talking about setting up small Ukrainian primary and secondary schools for Ukrainian students?

no, but they will have rooms in already existing schools that was the proposal

Some like complaining for the sake of it! The ETBs are putting English language classes in place. CV preparation and interview skills are also being facilitated. Nurses are being helped register so they can work. There’s a huge talent coming into our country. Many of them are already working and contributing to their keep.

Infrastructure is about 15 years behind where it needs to be so there really is not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 garlic bread

I have read a lot of the posts here but not all. While I fully understand the concerns people have at the prospect of housing and providing for large numbers of refugees when we are struggling to cope with our own people, I do find it funny that most people who are moaning wouldn't piss on an Irish homeless person if they were on fire (to rob a quote I saw on boards recently).

We have pledged refuge in our home. We have a large house, 2 full time jobs, a few kids of our own. Do I expect a pat on the back? No. Payment of any kind? Nope, can afford to do this, lucky me. But I sure as hell won't be made feel like some sort of do gooder for making this effort for people in need.

I am middle aged, have seen a fair bit of crap in my life but I have never been so upset or disturbed as I have looking at the plight of these people. The ratpes, murders etc. Mothers watching unimaginable horror being inflicted on their children. It literally keeps me awake at night. And for those of you who ask are these stories true - have a look at BBC news every lunchtime, they usually feature some fresh horror on a daily basis... do you really think these are actors?

For the moron who said 'what rapes', shame on you. Nothing more to be said there.

For us as a family, we feel we can offer a safe and pleasant refuge to another family trying to escape the nightmare that Russia is inflicting. I fully understand how it's not possible for a lot of people due to lack of space or finances but I am glad I can offer some sort of help to these desperate women and children.

There really is. Plenty of empty properties all over the country. Never mind your infrastructure, it's temporary for now

I was referring to what beasty said " All I'm pointing out is they are resources themselves and it makes absolute sense if there are qualified Ukrainian teachers they can be used to ease the pressure on educating those Ukrainian kids".

It's not outrage by the way, it's a very simple. I welcome Ukrainian teachers into Irish schools when they are registered, vetted and interviewed. Do you think that these things should be by passed in the exceptional circumstances? I'd be obliged if you would answer that question please. I am all for the the education of these kids, but shoving them into a classroom with Irish kids at either primary or secondary with an interpreter or translator is not them getting taught, it's them getting a routine of going to school but very little else. That in itself is very important for them at this stage but we cannot simply slot in a teacher into a school just because they are teachers back home in the ukraine. We have to respect the policy's and procedures that are in place for all those entering the profession. Its nothing to do with them speaking or not speaking Irish. They have to satisfy the conditions of the teaching Council if they are to be renumerated by the dept of education. Kids are very resilient, they will pick up the laungage far quicker than their parents will. I think they should be left in school and they will persevere but under the guidance of Irish teachers and adequately vetted adult supports, be they snas or registered teachers. Ive said my piece. Take care.

Infrastructure does not = properties

Prisons, hospitals & provision of acute health services, public transport, schools and many more.

And the first 3 certainly were a problem before the war.

And btw - I am all for taking the hit on this commitment to bring in refugees, the country just needs to expand capacity accordingly. They will be net contributors to our society.

Leaving a family in the arsehole of nowhere will be counter productive in most cases. "All over the country" is not good enough.

Noone is slotting Ukrainian teachers into Irish schools, relax 🙄

Prisons? That's your first issue? How many Ukrainian refugees do you think we will put into prisons?

The rest may be a problem, but they have been a problem for years, that's governments mismanagement. It won't improve if we don't take a few refugees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Your nitpicking now. It's a general infrastructure comment. With any increase in population committments to infrastructure investment needs to run in parallel.

I have no issue at all if government want to invest in infrastructure now, because we have a few refugees. I doubt it will happen though. I doubt it Will happen if we don't take them either, so no problems taking them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Your grasp of numeracy is tenuous if you think that potentially 200K refugees is a ‘few’. That’s 4% of our existing population, a sudden influx that’s unprecedented in centuries of Irish history.

Whatever about the moral obligation to accept those seeking sanctuary, the attempts of people like you to downplay the magnitude of this undertaking, is counterproductive to say the least.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement