Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I'm not naiive as to Eastern Europe being a source of illegal arms. The Czech Republic was (and still is) the de-rigeour place to source ex Soviet weapons for the continent. Yet we don't lose our sh*t when the mid day flight from Prague lands in Dublin Airport.

If people want to traffick arms from Ukraine, they'd hardly be so thick as to put them in the boot of a car and subject them to at least three security failure points.

Trafficked arms come in clandestinely via container or landing them via boat on a quiet shore.

Martin Ferris wasn't nabbed at Rosslare with an Opel Corsa with a boot full of Semtex from the Czech Republic via France. And you won't catch the likes of the Kinahans, the Hutches and even Ukrainian or Russian mafia doing so either. Because they'd be thick as a brick to even try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I do and your point is what exactly 🤔 or do you have one 🤔 or just trawl through posts to express an opinion on a post rather than contribute to the discussion.

I'm in no humour to be tummy rubbing and tip toeing around folks who might be offended by some facts and hard truths .

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

Didn't you take in Ukrainians? How was your own experience of that?

I don’t get the utter panic about heating this winter. We are not Scandinavia or Central Europe. We are a temperate country. There are a few cold snaps, but overall it’s not that cold. Hot water bottles, jumpers, blankets. And not trying to keep the house warmed to 18 degrees. I remember growing up in a rural house with poor heating and insulation, and we wore more clothes and just got on with it.

We’ve all gone soft

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Absolutely no problem whatsoever thankfully , but we not in the house it was vacant so a much easier scenario

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

That's good it was positive. It's a massive commitment to take on and one whereby people need to go into with their eyes very much wide open.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭enricoh

Anyone with a hotel/ hostel etc will absolutely clean up come September. I would pick a number and then double it if I owned one. The government might refuse at the start of September but by the end of it they'll crawl over hot coals for it with media articles + opposition slating them every day on tents etc.

A blind man could see what a clusterf#£k this is going to be in a few weeks n our politicians are off on their summer hollyers til mid September!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,105 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Standard deflection from you Dempo!! Pot calling kettle black.

We understand that you don't like the policy of sheltering Ukrainian refugees. But with respect.. you're like a scatter gun going off, pellets going all directions and some rebounding.

What do I think??? We need to offer shelter to genuine Ukrainian refugees, esp elderly, women & children. We shouldn't be asked to take in more disproportionately to our population and under no circumstances should we offer shelter to Ukrainian men who are eligible for and wanted for service back in Ukraine. We also need to carefully filter out non Ukrainian refugees seeking to come in under their guise and we need to deport all economic migrants from non EU states asap.

But bottom line is that we should offer shelter to genuine Ukrainian refugees, esp elderly, women & children.

Try living on the side of a mountain in a 200 year old gate lodge . But I'm actually thinking more of costs as much as supply. I do have my Turf (can I say that) 😏

Deals being done as I type and this I know with 100% accuracy 😏

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

What I don't understand is if the Government want to increase the population to x amount by 2030 why not give incentives to the natives to have more children like free or heavily subsidised childcare and tax breaks.

Why the need to import people from every corner of the plant is baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Fair play iamwhoiam, I hope that you will get some good karma in return sometime for helping out others from a difficult situation. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I agree , they did this in Berlin when the population was falling and gave huge incentives to have children .One was a Govenment loan given when you had a first child and then if you had a second the loan was reduced by quite a lot , third child and it was scrapped !

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Its important to keep in mind that these cherry-picked countries may have helped the Ukraine in other ways instead. For example, the UK and France have committed huge military aid, which we havent really done (excluding body armour and MRE's), and monetary aid too.

Hmmmm , pot calling kettle black is it now, Deflection is it now, where have I heard that old chestnut before 🤔🤔🤔, O Yes........

Your of course conveniently missing the entire Point , we didn't need to be here , Government were desperate not to be caught out , they ate embarrassed, not because of near six months of incompetence but international media and finally Irish Media focusing on Tents and rather than actually asking themselves some difficult questions, they continue to dig a bigger hole.

You absurdly claim that Tents are appropriate, I pointed out there's an obligation to provide "Appropriate Accommodation ", Tent Cities in a supposed 1st world country is hardly appropriate, its actually desperation. Perhaps your not aware , work in this camp site commenced months ago.

I absolutely have my views on this absolute charade, but not just on Tents, which your obsessing about. If you were actually following the thread , rather than trying to find a place to post incoherent gibberish, my views are no secret but I believe objective , I'm not even afraid to admit I'm wrong , so enough of your lectures.

This is a Discussion forum were reasonable views can be expressed . I'm also not afraid to call out nonsense and I'll make absolutely no apology for doing so.

At this stage, it must be abundantly clear, even to you , this Virtue signalling nonsense is falling apart . And before I leave this point, I've visited REAL refugee Camps , have you 🤔

Indeed they have and that's been terribly helpful to Refugees . Tell me this , are you aware were actually we are now in this mess , I can help with that , precisely were we were 6 months ago but now with the world going into recession, Cost of lively spiralling out of control, likely fuel rationing and our own Country buckling under the cause of Virtue Signalling, that's were we are .

What's actually been lost in of the debate is what exactly has Zelenskyy done for his own people 🤔 another simple answer, absolutely nothing and seems only delighted other countries taking care of them.

Literally Billions in military hardware thrown at this conflict , that Pig Putin laughing hysterically at the world , EU and US completely lost on what to do.

People thought this would be over in a month, I certainly didn't.

That’s fair enough. I’ve a 100 year old cottage on the side of a mountain, probably more of a usual rural living situation for many, and, as in my previous post, I just don’t get the panic. Don’t understand the hysteria other than everyone has gone soft. anyway, for a different thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭monseiur

It was pathetic to see Pat Carey of the Red Cross on TV last week trying to explain that the reason for the sudden jump in the number of Ukrainians arriving here over the last week was due to the sudden rise in the cost of living in Poland ! The fact is that Poland has withdrawn the special benefits they were paying the refugees - a grand total of 40 Zlotys (€8.50) per day, that's less than €60.00 per week and we are paying them from €250.00 up per week + children's allowance. Once these payments were stopped the Ukrainians hopped on the next plane to what the Nigerians called Treasure Ireland ! What started off as genuine refugees case has now turned into welfare tourism, no visa required. Putin's bombs indirectly blew open the barriers that had stopped the Ukrainians from travelling to western Europe, something they craved and dreamed of for years. Once there's a cease fire or the war ends thousands more will come to join their families here. Ukraine's future is very bleak in the short to middle term, even if they become full members of the EU, it will take decades to weed out the corruption, mafia & godfathers that rule with an iron fist. Yet they have trillons of Euro's worth of oil, gas and other minerals - something western Europe is crying out for.

The war is currently a war of attrition which is in the far east of the country and very localised even there. The EU should help refugees from the east to be rehoused in the west of the country plus some welfare payments for say 6 to 9 months, it may help stem the tide of refugees needlessly crossing Europe at the moment. It's time for Europe to close the barriers and take stock before it's too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭busunderer

any TD or Minister that failed to say 'halt' shall give their home to Ukrainians and the populist blow with the wind politicians can be accommodated in Gormanstown.

I see were your coming from of course 😏 and yes probably a lot of hysteria but unfortunately that hysteria does cause Panic and worry particularly with the more vunerable. I'm no expert on energy markets but even look at the price of diesel and petrol , this is partly why I say its going to be scary in the winter. Traditionally not much demand for heating oil now but there will be for many .If OPEC nations don't increase supply prices will jump even further , in a sickening way, they are cleaning up because of this conflict and so is Putin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Comfort.. maybe we have paid enough tax that we should expect to be comfortable in our homes ? And be able to heat them..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I think that's when this mess will really come to a head. When people are struggling to pay their winter bills then the game will be up. Micheal and Leo will be swapping seats too and that'll probably play into it too (we know how Leo values his image and Twitter profile above all else).

It the Sun , has to be 😁 32 degrees at my home yesterday, even I got a little delirious 😏

Where do I sign up! I would love to have another Bambino. All my friends have 2 children and would love another 1 at least but cost and housing has them restricted. Hopefully this government cut creche fees massively and I'll have another. Definitely agree with incentivising locals over importing. We might have a chance of producing workers then!

Imagine the Taoiseach having to defend the latest virtue signalling stroke 🤔🤔

He's as far away as possible from the numerous crisis at Home, Japan no less , I've been there , Fabulous.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Where I live, isn’t old, it’s well insulated, gas central heating but I think I’ll head off to power city and buy me a couple of those electric portable heaters.

Electricity prices going through the roof also, I get a black eye when I open my ebills 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Compo82

I was talking to fella working in a hotel close enough to Dublin City Centre that has 150 Ukrainian refugees staying there. He said he worked in the bar but also served them food in the dining room. I asked him generally how were they. He said they were difficult enough to deal with and he gave an example where they were complaining about the size of the slices of ham. Like he said they were getting this for nothing and staying in a very nice place close to Dublin and were getting €230 a week and are allowed to work 20 hours a week. He said that they were doing better than him. I also asked them if there were many men and he said about 40 or so. He wasn't sure how they managed to get out and a lot of them seemed to be of fighting age. I don't know, I had a lot of sympathy for them at the start but my sympathy is starting to run out. I think we're been taken advantage of now at this stage. We've taken enough now and the West of Ukraine seems relatively safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

So cancelling visa free travel for those in posession of international protection in an EU country* is virtue signalling now? That's a curious hot take I must say.

*A policy that most would find agreeable as a measure to protect Ireland from asylum shopping

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement