Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

You know its bad when Hotels Urging Government to look at other options ,they know full well this is going to be long term issue. It's suits a lot of particular hotels but not those who have repeat ,Corporate, Business, Big events (Dublin) and particular tourism destinations.

Of course the Question remains, what other options are there 🤔 I can guess , NONE

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

With so many refugees, asylum seekers and economic migrants arriving from both Ukraine and elsewhere I wouldn't be surprised to see the NGOs bring up the birthright citizenship "debate" again.

I knew my local area was going to have a high number, just going by the sheer amount of Ukrainians strolling around the town at their leisure 🙄 but 719 is a crazy figure for a mostly rural area. The mind boggles!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

I would like to know the percentage of non EU or Irish born on the social housing list? Think Fingal was 12 percent non EU in 2017 and its only increased.

This Ukraine issues has just accelerated an issue that was slowly creeping up anyway. Now I have my own thoughts on social housing, but continually allowing people in who, at least initially would need social housing, at a time there is already a shortage was always doomed to fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Most people are passive, might complain a bit but will never actually do anything until it directly affects them. This is why September will be interesting, scarce resources like school places at all levels or accommodation for 3rd level students may become even harder to get.

I can't wait for the knock on the door looking for our vote, I suspect they'll be backing out of the garden pretty sharply.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Same… no point in engaging with them. None, get off my property and get lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,915 ✭✭✭✭zell12

A TD has said that 33% of the newly arrived kids do not have a school place and September is only five weeks away.

That means 66% have secured places. I've lived through it and witnessed it with friends and neighbours over the last number of years, school places are a constant source of stress for parents. What will happen if local kids lose out on places just to find out several Ukrainian kids waltz in on the first day.

• Advertisement

Given how hard it is to get a school place full stop in surprised its so low.

Surely it would be better for the kids to connect to their Ukraine class for remote learning which has been going since April.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Gamergurll

But remote learning will never be as good as the experience off being in the classroom..

Oh wait remote learning is what a huge number of third level students will be stuck with

I agree with you completely, but many especially the younger children will not be fluent in English, and we all know how hard it is to get an SNA in this country.

Surely being taught in their native language with the class they can hopefully return to, would help the children.

Deleted. Decided would wind some people up too much

but I agree with you

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

FG wasn’t so much an anti FF angle although they’d use that as required… the are vehemently pro business, pro farmer, pro money, money men and woman.. they have historically little to no interest in working class people and will only use them to improve the lot of all the above.

FF brought Transport 21, Metro, Dublin Airport expansion.. going back.. Port Tunnel, M50 and various other projects delivered and in progress ..

Stands to reason that if the route was being used, it would not have been cut. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've said it before, I'll say it again..

FG are actually WORSE than FF. The only reason we haven't seen more of this historically is because they are almost never in Government except as a protest vote when FF lose the run of themselves, and then only until they remind the electorate why they are never elected on their own merits.

You're absolutely right though. This slide occured when we all lost the run of ourselves in the SSM referendum. I don't mean that it shouldn't have passed (absolutely essential that it did IMO) but it was the first time that mass social media campaigning had a real effect on politics here, and Leo V (who was against the movement only a few years earlier!) used the opportunity to "come out" on national radio in the midst of it all and position himself as the poster boy for "new FG" and to succeed Enda Kenny (remember that most of the party actually wanted Coveney - who is just as bad but in different ways).

Anyway since then Ireland has been led by a group completely beholden to populist social media agendas and crusading, where chasing twitter likes and attaboys from Europe have become the standard, and where the problems in the real world at home have been allowed to steadily worsen, or been accelerated by Government policy.

This "refugee crisis" (which is increasingly nothing of the sort) is the latest example of destructive policies that have led to the electorate being increasingly polarised and split, with national debate and coverage being entirely one sided on many issues (unsurprisingly when many of the same "journalists" later move into political staffer roles), and where Ireland and it's people are left increasingly out in the cold in favour of whatever crusade is currently trending.

SF (who will potentially be in Government next) are no better and will likely make things all the worse, but for all their many and legitimate faults, FF at least recognise that you do have to give something back occasionally and that there's only so far you can push the peasants before they'll revolt, but FG have no such filter or safety valve and we are seeing the results now.

We can thank Enda and Leo for this. The former was determined to become the only FG Taoiseach to get a second term (through deals with the likes of Katherine 'bring them all home' Zappone), and Leo who sees the office as a useful profile builder on his career path (he's previously said he doesn't expect to stay in politics forever), but it's the Irish taxpayer and citizens who will pay for all this.

This is only the start and the problems are already manifest, but give it 10/15 years from now and we'll really see the results of this folly.

While I agree that much of the housing problems have their origins in the Tiger years and FF, don't forget that it was the electorate who were cheering them on too.

Everyone wanted that new BMW, decking, multiple holidays and fancied themselves property magnates. FF responded in kind and then promised soft landings and downplayed the obvious even while the IMF were literally down the road. All because its what "we" wanted.

Micheal (much like Enda) just wanted to be Taoiseach. To not be the only FF leader who wasn't. Between him, Leo and Enda they have wrecked this place post-recovery and they've even gotten around that pesky general election issue with Confidence and Supply and outright Coalition.

The Ukranian situation at this stage can only be linked to the stated FG objective of dramatically increasing the population of the country. Nothing else makes sense given even the likes of the IT are calling out the problems now.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Stewball

Connemara has just shy of 650. That's nuts considering the lack of general services and public transport in the region.

They should have them out footing turf.

They shouldn't have them there in the first place. It's not good for the locals, or the Ukranians themselves.

Country is full. We've done our part. We now need to deal with the mess that's been created but importing (tens of) thousands more is going to make it even worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Hamachi

You can of course back up that assertion by quoting the route number and passenger volumes?

It’s good business practice. If something isn’t being used and paying for itself, then cease selling/providing it. Be it barely used bus routes or banks. Can’t be giving the permanently outraged ammo. Shops do not continue trading where there’s no profit to be made. No business person is going to close down a profit making business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Look at Philip Dwyers videos on YouTube -they are quite interesting .

He's ex National party, wouldn't touch that fella with a barge poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Does that logic also apply to an unfettered influx of ‘refugees’ Maryanne?

It’s not good business practice for the exchequer, it’s far from a profitable endeavor, and it is and will continue to have an increasingly detrimental impact on the very people funding the entire enterprise.

Perhaps we should considered applying a libertarian approach to the current situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Realistically, as much as it pains me to say it, I dont see how anyone unless they're a millionaire or one of the elite can contemplate staying in Ireland long term now. Debt level - off the charts, Infrastructure - not the worst but nowhere near the rest of europe, Health service - unless you've got private insurance, good luck, Tax level - One of the highest in the world when you factor in all the stealth taxes, Energy/ESB - ridiculously high, I understand the situation is a global problem but when you see the likes of the ESB making more profits than they've ever made before, it doesnt feel right, education - about the best thing is third level still isnt that expensive although the rest of it leaves a lot to be desired, accomodation/home ownership, record high rents & good luck trying to buy a house anytime soon unless you're making in the region of 150k per annum, human rights - only country in the EU with the SCC & now they're about to try & introduce facial recognition technology, scary.

Now this is about to get a lot worse & when it does Varadkar will be off in Europe somewhere on a nice fat pension like the current Taoiseach will be soon. Its sickening, but unless people start properly protesting than theres no point. Get them out & get them out now is the only solution.

Exactly- stick to sources who will never question the current thing.

Do you not think asking some of these people questions and listening to the answers they give is worth a go.

Posters are saying they are reading about Ukrainians coming here because the benefits are the best etc etc.

Hearing the Ukrainians answer for themselves takes the heresay out of the equation. Are some people nervous about what they might hear?

I get your point and for that very reason I occasionally read Gript.ie but after doing some research on the NP I steer well clear. Unfortunately in Ireland today its a choice between the status quo or right wing nuts like the NP and Gemma et al. no thanks.

It's been said many times that we need a party that has the balls to tackle this madness head on, only the odd independent has been brave enough thus far.

OK well that's a fair call. Thats a reasonable answer and valid too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I’ve tried and supported the status quo. I’ve been a FG voter since I started voting two decades ago (my first general election to vote was 2002 where FG got hammered, similar to now under Varadkar) Even canvassed for them. I and people like me have got pissed on in return. I’m done now. If there’s a NP party candidate or similar running in CarlowKilkenny they have my No1.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement