Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭enricoh

You're debating with someone- who when you point out the absolute fortune these hotel owners are raking in, tells you to buy a hotel or two instead of bitching n moaning online about it!! God bless yer patience!

A lot of the wedding function rooms n meeting rooms in these hotels will be repurposed to fit in more refugees. Cha-ching, the more the merrier (not for paddy taxpayer, but sod them!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,366 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

No secret around here I was a FG voter.

But your post is spot on and sums up why they won’t be getting my vote again.

Between this and the climate emergency ( more taxes) I’ve had enough.

They do absolutely nothing for the people keeping this country afloat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Both are intertwined whatever way you roll the dice with the system here finding it almost impossible to differentiate between the two when an individual presents themselves here .

How can the authorities here prove that a person is NOT being persecuted or fleeing a war in their home country to gain asylum status as opposed to being an economic migrant ?

Anyone can spin a yarn and stick to it .It’s discovering the truth that is the hardest part for the authorities here hence the long delays , massive cost and generous appeals process.

This is what Harney was alluding to back in 2003 and sought a more robust system to determine the bogus applications .

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Whilst Donald was number crunching in order to be less than gracious he might have checked some facts rather than be snide, he/she may have also been able to clarify this particular establishment is earmarked to be used by a Major employer in Kildare to house employees and according to reports last June when the property was purchased, there was no intention to use it for refugees.

This of course may have changed but I'm not aware of any intention to use it to accommodate refugees eminently. I am of course open to correction and the Tweet offer no clarification on were their story came from.

The new Owners are apparently involved in major civil engineering contracts for projects for Intel, Microsoft, Amazon etc etc

It makes me feel quite Queasy slightly agreeing with Donald, but I reiterate doing back of a pad calculations does not mean Donald has a clue about occupancy levels, room sizes and maximum achievable occupancy ( I do) and furthermore Donald assumes I and others don't offer facts or are not objective, my reponse might prove the opposite is true.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,442 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Asylum seekers will usually be refugees but not all refugees will be asylum seekers.

(Although, strictly speaking, as asylum seeker may not be what we usually associate with the word "refugee". It may be someone seeking asylum elsewhere for political reasons. Or it maybe be someone who is living abroad by choice when something changes in their home country and they seek asylum as a protection against being sent back. Edward Snowden, for example, sought asylum in a few places but I don't think he is what you think of as a refugee)

The Ukrainians are refugees but are not seeking asylum. The poster posted an article about asylum seekers on a thread about Ukrainian refugees. The thread is not about asylum seekers. It is about Ukrainians and it is either disingenuousness or ignorance to try to conflate the two.

Asylum is a process which grants fairly long-term right to the grantee. If you remove permission for the Ukrainians to be here while there is a war going on back there, they will be entitled to apply for asylum. And they would almost certainly be granted it. The idea of asylum is to protect people who might be at risk of death or persecution if they return. Removing their permission to stay while there is still an active war will actually result in a much "worse" scenario from your perspective. Because they will get into a long term category. So be careful what you call for, unless you understand the consequences.

• Advertisement

• He got free accommodation in a very kind widower’s large house in Rathfarnham, as he wanted to be I. Dublin, not in an seaside apartment in the sticks of Youghal. A man of soldiering age too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Ah now there are plenty of options for "foreign" girls to get their nails or hair done here even in small towns, they may get some expensive dental work done at home but nails and hair that would be a tiny minority, everyone wants to look their best going back on holiday

Well if ya have been living all your life in a wealthy Western country and you haven't, at any stage in your life, been able to save up enough for a deposit for electricity, then I think that is on you.

Plenty of grants and supports available to people who want to start businesses. Just some of the many options available here:

There a schemes which are run in conjunction with the likes of Dogpatch where you will get free space for a year or so in one of their hubs. Not just the three months the Ukrainian lady got.

Stop moaning and making excuses to cover your embarrassment that this one can land in off a plane and hit the ground running

Indeed, wasn't he some sort of counsellor, looking to also further his studies here , had his family join him also 🤔 I thought the unfortunate host was in wicklow , can't recall, tried to put the nauseating story out of my mind 😁

Well perhaps you don't know any foreign ladies that well. Any that I have met and become friends with have difficulty getting those kinds of services to their liking when living abroad. And I'm not talking just about Dublin - it is the same in large cities in the US or even over in London. Unless there is a concentrated large community there, they will have difficulty getting what they like. Because it's not just about the "skills" of the workers, it is about the products. And then there are just different styles etc.

They don't get the things done before they go back. They go back and get them done there. They are not "looking their best" when they get off the plane.

• Advertisement

• Oh this particular form of suffering just breaks my heart. 🙄

Again, what is in your post that contradicts my post. I told you there were 66 rooms there. Unable to contradict me, you just throw in irrelevant sideline details and do a "look at me everyone". You added nothing of substance

Do you really think that a hotel with accommodation capacity for 350 people sold for 5 million quid?

Who said suffering? It is an explanation as to why a Ukrainian beauty salon might employ Ukrainian ladies.

Some other poster, obviously very unhappy with their own life's failings, was moaning that their local shop (or whatever it was) wouldn't be able to just hire Irish workers and bitching that the Ukrainian lady had employed 4 Ukrainians in her beauty salon. Let the poster apply for a job there if they want to try it. They can report back on how much business they generate

There are obviously plenty on the thread who never lived beyond their own village, never mind lived abroad to understand that people in different countries have different preferences

For heavens sake I'm married to one and for the last 20 years neither she or any of her friends from "home" have left off doing their nails or getting the hair done till they get home, its absolutely not necessary and wouldn't be the done thing when going back to meet your family, there are plenty of salons here, as a matter of fact all that new salon in Dublin did was make another salon in the vicinity unviable or definitely ate into any of their profits with the advantage of free rent and for a specific time and God knows what financial leg-ups skewing what should be a level playing field

Depends on the lady of course. Some would be into glamour and fashion and their appearance. And some wouldn't. Same as Irish girls. I tend to know the ones that would be more into their fashon and glamour I suppose.

• Been to all 7 continents, and several I know on this thread have had extensive experience of living and travelling abroad.

Still looking for a shin dig Donald even though I actually slightly agreed with you as unpleasant as that was . I actually contradicted nothing but clarified some details rather than doing some back of pad calculations just to be snide.

Where your getting 450 occupancy is beyond me , the actual value of this hotel is its land, the building itself in urgent need of restoration and modernisation, its historic layout impractical to house refugees long term and if it was being sold on its sales revenue the price would have been less . I'm fully familiar with the property, its history (chequered) so don't require a lecture. I'm also fully familiar with hotel property sales having prepared many coming out of receivership or restructuring, this wasn't in that category but certainly struggling financially.

Now of course the venue is an ideal spot for Tents , nice private, discrete grounds but as I've said there was intentions under lease agreement to accomodate Staff by a major employer in Klidare, I'm not aware of any intention to house refugees or a change in plans but as I've clearly said open to correction.

And you never noticed that in some countries, people have different treatments or preferences? Not aware that different people might have, for example, different textures and types of hair that need to be dealt with differently?

I had mistyped 450 and changed it before you posted your answer.

The point is that it was merely a rabble-rousing tweet designed to stir up some hatred. And some on here fell for it becuase they were looking for that hatred to be stirred up. Confirmation bias

Are you actually ungallantly insinuating my wife does not care about glamour, fashion and her appearance? A rather low comment even for you

• Advertisement

No. I know nothing about your wife or where she is from or what her friends like to do. You're reading something into that post that was neither intended, nor said.

I suggest you read your post again then in the context of the post you were replying to, words don't lie, they give a glimpse into a posters character and not a very nice one imv

Hmm, miss typed , OK I'll grant you that but at least accept there was no contradiction on my part.

I've on Many occasion corrected some miss information, but politely and to be fair to others , Tweets can be misleading sometimes folks don't check them for context etc, I happen to have some direct knowledge on the matter raised . I don't assume posters deliberately attempt to mislead , we can all make mistakes including myself and I've apologised when I've been wrong or in error , that doesn't mean I'll change my views on this threads topic , I was once a little more sympathetic, but that ship has long sailed I'm afraid for me and not likely to change.

It is hips that don't lie. According to a very famous philosopher named Shakira

I'm also getting emotional, not for the first time today 😭😭😭 😏

Ah now, posting a hyperbolic and clearly wrong tweet from a random unverified source in order to push an agenda and stir up anger against a group of people needs to be treated with contempt.

How about a gedanken experiment for all the bitter begrudgers on thread.

What if we let them stay rather than shipping them back to an active warzone, but you were allowed to go once a month and pick one Ukrainian refugee child and kick it once in the face? Would that maybe make ye feel a bit better and help you to get whatever it is out of your systems?

Obviously this is not a serious proposal for implementation. It is rather an thought tool to try to allow me to understand what is going on in your heads. Please don't go kicking kids, Ukrainian or otherwise.

Graceless, then again I wouldn't expect much else

Donald unfortunately you appear to treat every poster with contempt and your tone really not very pleasant or at all helpful.

I've said what I've wanted to say , clarified what I feel may have been a genuine error by another poster, that's enough for me .it really should be enough for you rather than trying to score points .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Then perhaps you should familiarize yourself with how many non ukrainians come here through ukraine when you start talking about who is and who isn't "genuine".

Also, please enlighten me why ukraine war seems to be more "genuine" than any other current or recent wars/conflicts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement