Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

That leaving cert student most likely will have to defer because of lack of accommodation in September. This was already an issue before the clowns running this country decided on an uncapped open door policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,445 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

No. Your anger and bitterness is misplaced. The Ukrainians have free movement within the EU and we cannot "cap" them.

Come back to me with your moaning and giving out when we have taken more than our pro-rata share.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

sure zelensky doesn't have to worry about anything. the pandora papers proved he's stashed enough away for a rainy day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Questions are beginning to be posed about the man himself. It will rightfully be put onto the backburner because of what the Russians are doing but they will be outed eventually.

8 Euro or so for the Cliffs of Moher and parking. Not to be sniffed at. Sure isn't it about 5% of the average salary there.

Don't forget that their cunning plan envisioned all the Ukrainians swanning around the country doing one tourist thing after another tourist thing. They'd probably get through the average monthly salary from back home in a day or two

• Advertisement

how do you put someone on ignore? Trying to do the same with the same poster but can't figure it out. Tnx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

No. Of course we can cap them, how silly of you to mistake free movement for support. Yes they can move where ever they want but there is nothing stoping our government capping the number they choose to house and financially support.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Go to Edit your profile, ignore list at the end, click on it and you add those you want to ignore, just be careful to type in the individual you want to ignore user name correctly, most have distinctive user names.

Just be aware by ignoring, their posts they remain greyed out but one good feature is when they try and bait by quoting you in another absurd post, you don't get an annoying notification.

If your stuck on process, PM me 😏

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Nope. Wrong again. There is an EU directive. They are entitled to temporary protection in any EU country. This includes:

• residency rights
    • access to housing
    • social welfare assistance
    • medical care, including mental health care and psychological support for children
    • legal guardianship and safe placement for unaccompanied children and teenagers
    • access to education and/or vocational training for children and teenagers
    • access to the labour market (subject to EU countries’ labour market policies)
    • access to banking services, for instance opening a basic bank account
    • right to move to another EU country, before the issuance of a residence permit
    • right to move freely in EU countries (other than the EU country of residence) for 90 days within a 180-day period after a residence permit in the host EU country is issued

I have to admire your ability to be completely wrong with such confidence! Appears to be quite a common trait on here among the begrudgers!

• Advertisement

Unfortunately there is, it's the EU directive, but like other countries adhering to this nonsense, our government could have been more creative.

Other countries have cleverly targeted supports and to a minimum, few if any getting bogged down in actually supplying direct accommodation, instead offering incentives to Hosts, actual financial supports to Ukrainian refugees directly are miniscule in comparison to here, basically there's no incentive to state beyond a reasonable time frame.

Here our incompetent government have no such limitations and no accomodation to offer and have only been too delighted to support a struggling Hotel sector. However that has its consequences and despie numerous warnings those consequences starting to play out.

Our government has essentially jumped in head first with no plan, no infrastructure, No Accommodation to offer, Nothing, Nada, Zilch of anything really and hench the chaos and Shenanigans.

No amount of absurd deflection can alter the fact this is mess of governments own making and perhaps they should have read and actually understood a Directive, drawn up 21 years ago that has so many holes in it, it could have been drawn up in a Swiss cheese factory.

Always happy to oblige in the persuit of ignoring Claptrap, Nonsense and Rudeness 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

How’s everyone that’s hosting getting on? Did the 400 a month payment come through yet and will it cover all your expenses?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,039 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The government are more than capable of ignoring that EU directive, like how they ignore EU directives to get rid of VRT in this country, a tax ruled illegal by EU but our government are more than happy to disobey when it suits them.

I don't believe payments have come through yet, open to correction but you can be Damned sure that will be a mess in terms of processing and won't cover very much, in fairness its only intended as a gesture towards costs but I suspect most hosts already changing minds regardless 😉

It's a fair observation but unfortunately not but they could have been far more creative, like other very sensible EU countries 😉

You should give a link to support your assertion re: this directive on VRT. Have a read of it first though yourself, rather than just believing what someone posted on Facebook

Pardon me, it was the highest European court who ruled against it rather than an EU directive.

Still the point remains - government more than happy to ignore EU when it suits them

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Sure the EU can ignore itself when it suits - as we saw in the Financial Crisis.

It is not within the governments prerogative to decide whether to accept or reject anything to do with judicial rulings. There is a separation of powers between the Executive and the Judiciary in Ireland. Irish Courts are bound by EU Courts. The Courts are the ones that put you in jail. If you genuinely think that a particular tax is illegal, and you don't pay it, the government have no mechanism to put you into jail or enforce a fine on you.

I gather that you are confusing two (or possibly more) issues, some concerning how it is administered/applied. And another being whether a tax such as VRT itself is legal under EU law (hint: it is).

• Advertisement

The EU was reading all the posts from the delicate snowflakes on this thread, tried to follow the instructions, and ended up putting itself on its own ignore list for the entire Financial Crisis.

@Stewball

And apology is required 😉

So Donald a spot of humble pie required.

An update on the Celbridge Hotel.

As I mentioned, there was no initial intention to use this facility for refugees and a plan was agreed to accommodate Employees of a large employer in Kildare.

As the Twitter Account reffered to didn't offer any link or context, an account that has 1,000"s of followers, i sought some clarifications.

So just to be 100% sure there was no change on initial plans for this establishment , I sought some clarification from the Twitter account used as a source regarding refugee usage.

I also confirmed the reporting from the radio station.

So it would indeed suggest the post was correct, it was not misleading and you may owe an apology, not that I see this as forthcoming.

I reported what I knew to be an agreed arrangement, I still maintain how 350 can be accommodated is remotely possible remains a mystery but as I intimated an ideal location for a discrete Tent City.

So this is actually the source of the information pertaining to usage as a facility for Ukranian refugees.

I'm delighted to clarify the matter.

The government must obey judicial rulings, but if they ignore EU rulings the EU will just leverage fines on them. Thats the current state of affairs, EU fines for VRT are outweighed by the revenue VRT takes in.

VRT is illegal under EU law due to it being contrary to the nature of the single market. Thats what the court rulings found. The government should remedy the situation so that the Irish state does not fall afoul of EU law (thats how the union works, EU law supersedes the law of member states).

Now now now. Still waiting on your proof that there will be 350 single adults there (350 * 135 a night is what you posted). As I'm sure you are well aware, although you may feign ignorance, that was the issue with the post.

Your new post lists 8 families and 12 single people. Hardly going to get us up to the 12 million or 17 million a year of your twitter buddy.

Else all you have told us is that a hotel will be used as accommodation. Hardly a breaking newsflash.

Now Now Donald, still waiting for your apology to the poster you insulted.

I've no need to offer proof of any sort, just clarifying were the actual story and source came from, why don't you contact Roderic O Gorman Directly, he's quoted in the piece.

But as I've said repeatedly, unless another Tent city being planned at this venue, there's no way this place could hold anywhere near 350 people.

Are you being tetchy at being called out, I'm so sorry, really I am.

I'll be watching out for that apology 😉

When do the first round on CAO offers start?

Atlantic Technological University (formerly Sligo IT) is calling on private home-owners and landlords to consider renting rooms and houses:

I suppose it’s a case of wait and see as to whether that 30% figure is true. It’s just over 5 weeks till September though and you’d have hoped (if you’re a student or parent) that there would be some clarity by now.

Now now now. Be careful trying to backtrack at such speed - you might fall over and injure yourself.

You are free to believe that that place will accommodate 350 single adults at a cost of 17 million a year (the twitter person had a headline for 12 million but clarified in their comments that their calculation was 17 million) if you want. up to you if you want to remain gullible.

methinks people don't understand the difference between venue capacity (i.e. how many people can attend a wedding there) and accommodation capacity. The venue capacity for that place is advertised at 300! So that isn't even 350. 250 for a wedding.

Still, bigots will immediately jump on it as true if it suits their agenda.

Lol 🤣, back tracking is it , just happy to clarify matters for you .

Actually, along with cinnamon Bun recipes, I've an excellent Humble Pie and Duck recipe I'm happy to share 😏

Now good morning, I'm going to focus on coherent posts today , not deflection 😏

Pssst…… don’t forget my recipe!

• Advertisement

So you've clarified that a hotel will accommodate people. Well done. I'd say you were the only one who thought it might be controversial that a hotel would be used to accommodate people.

That is your pathetic response trying to justify a scaremongering tweet? lol

I'd say you have your recipe perfected alright. Practice makes perfect and if you are eating it all the time, you probably get good at making it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement