Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Another reason why the EU just doesn't work. Each nation (or subgroup of nations) will ultimately look out for their own national interests which is of course not surprising as there IS no common EU-ropean identity. It's a collection of individual nation states with their own histories, cultures, values and priorities, and let's not forget that the primary reason behind it was originally purely economic self-interest and to disincline one half from blowing up/invading the other half.

Ireland however, and our weak servile political class aching for that pat on the head or hoping for that unaccountable EU post, seems to be one of the few determined to keep doing what we're told despite it becoming increasingly clear that the Emperor isn't wearing clothes! Situations like this where citizens are going to find it even harder to access essential services, and are already struggling with housing and the costs of living because of the "aren't we good!" approach being taken by Government will not end well, and while the MSM might be hiding it, it's clear that more and more people are starting to (rightly!) ask how is this sustainable and who is ultimately going to pay (and not just financially) for it?

I fully expect that when the inevitable (and circular) recession hits, we'll see more fractures emerge on the continent - especially if the UK doesn't suffer as much as EU member states. They won't be the last to go, but I fully expect that in the fullness of time, Ireland will be the ones hanging on to turn off the lights anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

It says we've an opt out in that area too though (albeit on a case by case basis than a full opt out)

Any kind of split will be between the northern and southern nations in Europe, as the southern nations have always been the weakest economically, and also have the greatest degree of problems with corruption. The EU will continue to exist because it provides too many benefits, and Europe needs some kind of unity to oppose the US or China. It just needs to be taken out of the hands of the bureaucrats, and dreamers, and returned to the more practical/pragmatic players, reducing the scope of the agendas at play, and returning to an economic zone rather than a bit of everything.

As for Denmark, they're simply the first to turn against immigration and the open door policy that went with multiculturalism. Poland did the same, got a slap on the wrist, but since Ukraine happened, everybody is singing their praises. The simple fact is that we're going to see more countries, such as Sweden, and likely France, go the same way as Poland, in limiting immigration and giving the middle finger to the UN. The EU will be forced to adapt to these new realities simply because there's no real backing for multiculturalism anymore.. except in Ireland. Germany's electorate is demanding change. As is France. So, too, with Sweden. Most of the economic/diplomatic powerhouses of Europe are facing an unhappy electorate, and that will translate into the EU backing down on it's utterly retarded immigration agendas.

Once that happens, we'll see a reorganisation of the EU towards a more practical and more Euro-centric attitude, placing the needs of Europeans ahead of foreign interest groups. But yeah, if the EU refuses to change it will be torn apart as the Northern/Eastern Bloc create an organisation for themselves without the drain on resources and the problems that the southern members represent.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Says who exactly .

Once we take in 50-100,000 Ukrainans we will be expected to take similar numbers from elsewhere , once the gates open there's no closing them,

Seriously are you that naive

No we won't🙄 seriously are you that XXXXX?

we control our own borders and our immigration policies, the Ukrainian crisis and refugees from it are completely different. It is a humanitarian response. There is a United EU response. That does not affect any of our own policies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭keoclassic

And how many do you think is reasonable? What fiqure would you put on it to say that ireland successfully rose to the occasion?

Or do you think we should keep them coming...... As many as we can fit...... The more the merrier! I personally think we should stop at 50,000, but I've been told that I'm batshit crazy on this thread so maybe I'm just inhumane😂. Thank god you are just posting on an online forum where our thoughts are just that!

When big numbers of refugees start making things harder for the people that live here, it will bear resentment, that's just life!

Post edited by keoclassic on

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

No we don't ,

Just like when the phrase the Lagos express was coined nothing to see here it's only a few individuals fleeing Africa which turned into 20,000 + per year for a few years.

And in all that time how many were deported due to failing to meet asylum criteria .

We don't control anything and if anyone suggests we need controls on migrants the first word out of people's mouths is your racists

Yes we do.

if you cannot understand that, it's your problem. Our immigration policies are made by our government. We are not even part of schengen.

Ahh now, that's the wrong attitude...

You're expected to support such agendas, encourage more immigration whether that's refugees or economic migrants, and most importantly, sacrifice the future wellbeing of the nation to provide for your/other Irish children. It's incredibly important that we drastically increase the foreign born population in Ireland, increase the demands on all services, but without any real interest whether these newcomers are a net positive for the economy. Even better they should be a definite drain, and we can look forward to their children being a positive to the economy 21-22 years later. Maybe. If not, we're patient and can wait for the grandchildren to be a positive to the economy.. no need for the investment in them ever to be returned. After all, our lives are enriched just by having them here.

Oh.. and it's unreasonable to put a number on how many are taken in. In fact, don't ever look at the total amounts over extended periods. Instead focus on the relatively small, but ever increasing numbers that come in during particular periods.. downplaying the totals as being irrelevant, and we should instead increase the numbers because other countries are more diverse. Don't mention the social unrest that these countries have though. That's a no no.

Remember now.. as long as Irish people remain the biggest part of the population, there's something wrong... although, it's worth remembering that any foreigners gaining citizenship are now Irish, so we'll always need new immigration to compensate. Being native (extended generations) though, that's something that should be encouraged to diminish over time.

There you go. Back on track for an enlightened utopia.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Lots of businesses in this country who are dependent on tourism are going to need bailouts with no seasonal tourists being able to be accommodated in hotels which have been used to house refugees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

Thank you Klaz for your posts, your common sense and your pragmatic response to immigration including the current influx of war refugees from Ukraine. Loads are straining at the bit to level the big R word at you. But I suspect that many, both on here and out in the wider world, agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments and those of other level headed contributors worried about the sustainability of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Integritate

We had a great fundraiser tonight, and to be honest all I’m thinking about now is sleep. The Irish people never cease to amaze me with their generosity. With Ukrainian flags abound, we surpassed our financial goal expectations.

This topic of this thread is challenging due to the unrealistic expectations imposed on us by our government, but then I recall a post from someone on here who offered up a house ..... for all the right reasons. In real terms, our efforts pale in comparision to the committement by this person.

We can beg to differ on various aspects of our collective responsibilities, but the underlying theme should focus on the survival of the Ukrainian State ... no matter the cost. The future of humanity depends on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I am reading online about people who pledged homes to the Red Cross being totally fed up waiting. They are now taking things into their own hands and taking people in .I must say I agree , we pledged a house for six months and now nearly two of those six months are wasted , a house empty and waiting while refugees sit in halls and warehouses . Its quite simply not good enough by the government and the orginisations who took this on .If it wasn't for volunteers tirelessly working on the ground things would be so much worse .I know of one hotel with 50 refugees supported entirely by a group of women who saw a need and helped .

Without knowing you’re personal situation - and given what you said I’m assuming, at least, that you own the house whole and don’t have a mortgage on it - you sounds over-invested emotionally in a particular pile of brick and mortar. Given the rates you quote (and claim you would turn down) you would only have to move out for a year. With the money you could make you could buy a second house, rent that out to the refugees, and then move back into your own place. You could do this for years, each year doubling the amount of houses you own (so long as you keep renting your other houses out to the refugees at your rates).

Your kids (who you, again, claim to love so much) would never have to worry about getting on the property ladder as you would enough houses for them and their own future kids.

Are you sure you’ve thought this through ?

For 10 grand a week I’d let Jimmy Saville live with me and my kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Deeec

Lol Jeannie. I value my home too much to surrender it to anybody - that's the point I was making. I wouldn't risk losing my home or having to share it with a potential nutter. Get real nobody is going to be offered 10k per week to house a Ukrainian.

The problem is that you were only offering the house for 6 months. That means that the problem of sourcing accommodation would rear its ugly head 6 months down the line. What if other accommodation couldn’t be found? You would be on here with another moan. The war will last longer than 6 months and it will be years before housing and infrastructure is rebuilt in Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

My brother, his wife and hid daughter have been staying with us for the last 2 weeks. The first week was lovely. Second week is dragging. I cant wait for them to go home Friday.

I love them dearly, but we want the house back here. But the best laugh was that the other night my sister in law said that we have spare rooms, why dont we house Ukranian refugees. Sure we are worn down with our own loved ones staying in the house. Can only imagine how it would be after t weeks, never mind a few months with total strangers. It brings back the reasons why people really dont like to house share, once they get past a certain age.

I will return the favour to my brother and his family in a few months though :)

How dare you accuse me of moaning . Who are you to tell me or anyone else that offering a vacant house for free for six months is not good enough

I inherited a house and am delaying putting it on the market so a family can have six months of peace while settling and looking for something better

And if that’s not good enough then so be it . Or would you prefer I offer a vacant fully furnished house indefinitely ?

It is very honourable that you are offering the house for 6 months - a great thing to do. But the reality is 6 months is not enough time. The people who move in are likely to need housing for a few years. There is the possibility that when you need the house back they will not move out - this unfortunately happens all the time in rental accommodation that landlords wish to sell.

It looks like in your situation the law may not be on your side either- you are neither the owner of the house or a landlord so if things do turn ugly with the people who move into the house you may find you have no legal recourse. Be very cautious with this and seek the advice of the solicitor dealing with the estate.

• Advertisement

But, you haven’t offered it for 6 months. The clock is ticking down. Ukrainians fleeing the war, can stay in Ireland for an initial 12 months. Maybe if you offer the house for 12 months from the time they take up residence in your house, rather than the current dwindling offer. They need security for at least 12 months. There’s been enough upheaval in their lives.

We are the owners , myself and my four siblings own the house .

i understand the point about the six months but thats what we are offfering so some family gets a chance

However if its not good enough then so be it

Yes we have offered for six months and made that clear to the Red Cross

Only on boards would anyone be attacked for offering a refugee shelter for six months !

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭sonar44

Why not sell the house and donate the equivalent proceeds of six months rent to those organisations providing relief in the border countries to Ukraine.

In contrast to the blanket coverage of suspect asylum cases in the Irish media and their self-serving, wearisome portrayal of their countries of origin, a significant number of Ukrainians want to remain close to and return home.

It's just a discussion. Something more important is bound to come along.

Im not doubting you - but just double check with the solicitor. It would be very unusual for ownership of a deceased persons house to transfer to 5 people and then be put up for sale. The normal legal workings of this would be for the executor to sell the house and the proceeds be divided among the beneficiaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I'm curious is it the case the Red Cross are not accepting / Processing pledges of 6 months or less are they seeking a minimum term 🤔

Personally and this is not to be critical of those who've pledged, 6 months is not a realistic proposition and herein lies the problem, what happens after 6 months 🤔 what if (and highly likely) the guests have nowhere to go. Yes, some refugees will return home but realistically very few will, within 6 or even 12 months, that's just a harsh reality.

I think government and the Red Cross finally coming to a realisation this is not nor was it ever going to be a short term challenge.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

I am genuinely puzzled as to what people are expecting to happen ? Already the hotels are full so now the refugees are put in large halls and probably tents in the future . Yet people are critical of a pledge of less than a year for a vacant house ?

I honestly dont think there will be many at all willing to commit a room or house for 12 months or longer

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Fair play to you for committing your house. Try not let the naysayers get to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,985 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I'm bemused at other people's reactions too.

Yes, 6 months isn't long enough, but it's long enough to get settled in the country, learn/improve English and get yourself set up.

It's very generous to offer and no one is obliged to offer accommodation indefinitely. That is ultimately the government's baby.

• Advertisement

Ah thank you ! I was already questioned by that poster if I had offered it to Syrian or Afghan refugees before now ! I mean seriousely people have no idea about the logistics of committing a house to someone for six months !! But we will leave this in The Red Cross hands now and they can make that decision , a furnished vacant house for a family or a large sports hall .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement