Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭CeCe12

Absolute bull at this stage. We have more than played our part. Government talking about hospital accommodation? Are the for real? Enough is enough. Requesting to live in Dublin? No sorry I remember conversations stating the unemployed have no right to live in Dublin if they cannot afford it. The ukrainians have no right whatsoever to prime locations and frankly are coming off as ungrateful. Now students are taking the loss. Darragh O Brein saying there limited with what they can do. Here's an idea tell the EU we are full and limited with what we can do.

Also notice the "Pro take an endless number" people are not directly effected so far. The struggles with sourcing accommodation for those already here would cease with a cap on numbers. But no let's amble along until the country is on its knees. You will commute 2+ hours to college, struggle to buy a hse/ apartment if ever, pay your tax and die with a smile 😃 on your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Evictions double in 13 months, people on hospital waiting lists for routine operations waiting up to 4 years. And More. And were still intent on adding thousands of people in need of both these services.

Have the people who make these decisions really that stupid and ignorant to how their destroying the lives of their own citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Also notice the pro "no cap on refugees" lot haven't set up a thread yet to complain about all of the other refugees being displaced. It seems their compassion has a cap. Only certain groups are deserving of it. It doesn't matter who has the bloodiest, more destructive war.

The homeless don't even get a mention in the press anymore for fear it is seen as 'stirring' on the Ukrainians, so now they are just to be ignored by everyone altogether it seems.

Unfortunately I think they do care once they are ticking the boxes.

• Advertisement

We need a public demonstration at this stage. Capacity reached.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Massive increase in landlords giving eviction notices too.

Can see whats going to happen. Local councils will be given green light to buy houses and give them to Ukrainians. Irish people can go whistle

I for one am a single parent, doing all in my power to obtain a mortgage. Work my ass off in the hopes of securing my own home.

If Ireland makes that reality I will leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭arctictree

I saw that article in RTE about the massive increase in eviction notices and then citing the reason is landlords selling up. Are RTE a bit thick? Isn't that the only reason you can officially give to evict?

It's time for a Revolution

It may sound extreme but just look.

We are second class citizens in Ireland

No more.

• Advertisement

Ar aghaidh leis an éirí amach!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

You better start packing. I said it from day 1 it will happen.

We are 5/6 months in give it another 6 months and that's when the **** going to hit the fan.

Kids will be in schools and college and we'll be told these people have laid down their roots now. There's no way we can end their protection or send them home war no not.

Any people who want/plan to stay on here permanently who see a few get housed in a permanent social home then aren't going to go out and work they will hold out as long as they can to get housed.

Why take a **** job paying shite wages and getting cut off from all social assistance and then go and have to compete with everyone who is trying to rent or buy at crazy costs which they'll probably never be able to afford anyway. Just hold out long enough and be housed. 100% won't be waiting as long as an Irish person.

Wouldn't be surprised if they are already putting them in social housing and just keeping it hush hush.

In December you'll have NGO's screaming for these people to be housed in their own homes with chimneys for Santa Claus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

The silly season sees some new summer releases ... "Carry on camping" and the soon to be released "Carry on up the kyber" starring the three-stooges.... Coming to a town near you soon.... A hilarious romp which sees the three main players leaving a trail of destruction in their wake killing off the tourist and farming industries for fools gold enriching their greasy cronies and setting the citizens on the road to penury and bankrupting the country before making a daring escape in the nick of time on the brussels express, the gravy train to beat all gravy trains👨‍🦲🙍🙍‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Barbosa92

That is 100% going to happen. Really think all the Ukrainians will go to the back of the queue of the housing list? 20,000 houses needed to accommodate them all at least. This open border, give them everything they need policy is like a runaway train that everyone can see will end up catastrophe.

Why should I pack? If my needs cannot Met

Something wrong with Ireland No ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,725 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You will commute 2+ hours to college, struggle to buy a hse/ apartment if ever, pay your tax and die with a smile 😃 on your face.

The homeless don't even get a mention in the press anymore for fear it is seen as 'stirring' on the Ukrainians, so now they are just to be ignored by everyone altogether it seems.

The homeless don’t even get a mention in the press any more? A quick search for “homeless Ireland” brings up plenty of articles regarding people who are homeless and facing the prospect of becoming homeless, in just the last few days alone -

https://www.newstalk.com/news/ireland-facing-levels-of-homelessness-we-previously-thought-impossible-1370500

https://www.breakingnews.ie/amp/ireland/sharp-rise-in-number-of-eviction-notices-issued-to-renters-1347098.html

It’s not new that people in those circumstances won’t be struggling to commute 2+ hours to college, struggle to buy a house / apartment if ever, pay taxes… probably safe to say most of them don’t die with a smile on their face either.

You obviously have no fear of stirring though, with your limitless capacity for empathy that you can attempt to pit one group in Irish society against another as though anyone is being deprived of anything as a consequence of a third group in Irish society, as though they have a common enemy which you just happened to identify.

But you’re not stirring though 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 19,448 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Think about it Suckit. As has been posted here many times, minimum wage over there is about 200 Euro per month. That would be presumably for unskilled labour. 1000 Euro would only get you 5 months of unskilled labour. Or 5 lads for a month. How is a builder going to build a house and be able to sell it to you for 1000 Euro?

Property will be cheaper over there, even if it were not for the war. Interest rates there are currently 25%. I think that before the war they were still in the high teens. But it's not going to be 5-months-of-minimum-wage cheap for an average place. You might pick up a "bargain" at the minute for a "slightly Russian missile soiled" abode.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Is the Government afraid of A. the EU and/or B. the NGOs? Because they sure aren't afraid of Irish citizens.

Or are WE afraid to protest? A combo of all three I suspect, and the Gov is relying on our compliance and inability (via a compliant Pravda like media) to speak out either.

No. It's not. There are a list of reasons. Google is your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,108 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Not particularly the students the government has to be worried about. It's all the middle income tax paying & voting mammies & daddies who are going to be deluging local TDs with complaints and demands to sort it out. Especially the rural TDs and the mammies & daddies in the famous family farms up and down the country. If it comes to pass that refugees are taking up what was previously hard to get student accomm, there's going to be some shitstorm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,725 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Really think all the Ukrainians will go to the back of the queue of the housing list?

There is no queue for any housing list.

Each local authority draws up its own rules for deciding the order of priority on the housing list. These are called allocation schemes and are generally published on the local authority’s website.

Some local authorities operate a points system, giving each household on the list a number of points depending on its circumstances. If your circumstances change – for example, you have a new baby – you should tell the local authority so that it can update your household’s record. You should also tell the local authority if your address has changed since you went on the housing list.

If you want to know your position on the housing list, ask the local authority. Your position may go up or down depending on the circumstances of other people on the list and as your own circumstances change. In practice, priority is generally given to families and older people rather than single people or couples without children.

It differs slightly for HAP tenants in private rented accommodation -

If you are in private rented accommodation while waiting for local authority housing, you may be eligible for the Housing Assistance Payment (HAP), which has been introduced to replace long-term Rent Supplement. If you are housed under HAP, your housing need will have been met and you will no longer be on the local authority’s housing list. However, if you still want to be considered for social housing you can apply to be placed on the local authority's transfer list.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/local_authority_and_social_housing/social_housing_waiting_lists.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭enricoh

I think they have totally overdone it this time though. People are joining the dots n realise there is no housing crisis - there is a taking in every tom, dick n Harry from every corner of the globe crisis. Many of whom will never contribute a penny economically.

I thought that when yer man Casey got 23% in the presidential election that the likes of Ff n Fg would shift a bit to the right, they sped up going to the left instead! They had their chance - the country is crying out for a right wing economically party. If a 100k + Ukrainians land here as predicted it'll happen n will survive the rte, Indo etc onslaught.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Yes people ARE muttering things that are forbidden to be said, but they are preaching to the already converted. Have you heard any media outlet in Ireland question all this yet? I haven't but maybe I missed it somewhere along the line although I doubt it. Why is that I often wonder? It cannot be right that every media outlet in the State is singing from the same hymn sheet and terrified to put its head above the parapet. Perhaps the truth is what is hidden. Censorship of public opinion is rife.

Unless and until the media puts on its big trousers and does some proper investigative journalism nothing will change.

Not sure who you're talking to quoting two posts and switching between them, but I will assume me for the stirring. I have no problem stirring it. I think what is happening is a f**king mess, and the more people that know what is happening and voice their opinion (either way) the better. What I had said was the press are afraid to be accused of it. While I may have been wrong about the homeless, there is no doubt that they are tip toeing around plenty of other things that are happening during this mass arrival. Similar things to the other part of my post that you didn't refer to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Think about it DT. 6 years ago you could get a house in Leitrim for €7k - €14k. To find one in Rural Ukraine while millions of them are leaving, for less than €1000 isn't really that surprising. I have seen them, just can't find them as I didn't bookmark etc. They weren't new builds. One was a 'farm house' but didn't look like any farmhouse you would see here. Fairly overgrown too.

But that aside, it is irrelevant, they can still buy houses using the dole they get here, which is the main point that was being made. Be it €800 or €8000.

If I am bored another night with spare time and if I decide to go browsing property in Ukraine again, I will bookmark and show you if you are that desperate to refute it. But until then, you'll have to just take my word for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭enricoh

I think nearly the only media job worth having financially nowadays is one in rte, so there's no point going against the grain if u wanna get in there. Pr work for NGO's is a hell of a lot better that gig economy media work too.

They came out with emmision cuts for all sectors last week, it was laughable - no one mentioned that there could be a million extra immigrants here by 2030 n maybe look at that! Cows out, immigrants in!

Are you jealous? Would you like us to start up a boards.ie gofundme to buy Suckit a 1000 Euro house in Ukraine when the war is over?

• Advertisement

Back with the 'Jealousy' thing again? Really? Is that the best you have got?

Xenophobia or Jealousy..

Still no opinion I see.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement