Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Disastrous situation for students. Absolutely terrible. Thrown under the bus by government policy and private operators.

The article does its best not to mention all the specific recent cases whereby students lost accommodation to refugees.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-style/people/2022/08/13/students-sleeping-rough-or-couch-surfing-say-student-leaders-as-accommodation-crisis-worsens/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Would you like me to post a screenshot of my P60 Boggles? Perhaps I can send you a PM to corroborate, if you’re more comfortable with that approach?

Actually Boggles, I’ve been back for the best part of a decade after working abroad for a while. I’ve worked hard to be fairly highly skilled in an in demand industry. I contributed significantly, both financially and socially abroad. I’m now doing even more back in Ireland. My wife is Irish and all three of my kids were born here. You seem to have an issue with that Boggles, care to elaborate?

It’s interesting that you use the adjective ‘crass’ Boggles. If there’s one word to describe your input to this thread, that would be it. Combined with that fertile imagination of yours, it certainly lends itself to some amusing little diatribes.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Thought you were only in your 30s? Anyway.

By all means throw it up if want.

You had no problem playing P60 top trumps with a pensioner earlier. I merely pointed out you have spent the bulk of your professional life here not paying tax. Now you are back and have produced 3 children which as we know cost the state a considerable amount.

You don't seem so keen to play now, sure we will leave it there so, literally nothing to do with the thread anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭KilOit

Ireland bled the EU dry when we joined, wonder what the French,Germans and Brits thought of the paddy's looking for handouts for for years

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

There was 3.5 million of us. Not 45. Plus we never got the handouts being handed to these freeloaders- but you knew that already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

We all went to those countries and got free accommodation, housing and food, while getting more than our average monthly wage worth in a week and a half?

We were also a member of the EU and many other countries have also benefited from that. We have also paid our own dues in many ways too.

The issue here is that it is no longer an emergency situation and we are doing far more than many other countries. Many countries aren't even giving any social assistance/benefits out. Why are we giving €200+? How are we taking in more than we can handle without the proper resources to do so? So much more too that has already been repeated on here.

I doubt the EU struggled when we were "bleeding it dry" 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Barbosa92

Sorry I must have missed the news of the Ukraine becoming members of the EU.

All that EU money we received off the larger economies was put to good use improving infrastructure, education, promoting FDI and supporting the agricultural industry. In 40 yrs we received about €40bn from the EU. €40bn is probably not much more than the cost of the Ukranians will be to the exchequer over the next 5-10 years. What will we have to show after 10 yrs of supporting the Ukrainians? Sweet FA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Dude. There aren't 43,000 available for work. There just aren't! 37% are children! Do you want a four-year-old serving you in McDonalds? Maybe you'd use 6-y-os as chimney sweeps?!

What is it about this that do you not get?

The live register only considers the number of people actually available for work (or declaring themselves to be). That's how you calculate the percentages in employment and not in employment. Same applies to the Ukrainians. 24% of those available to work, are working. 24%. Not 13%.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Where is the link to say 24% of those available for work are working? Or any link - I haven't seen one yet.

Does it also break down how many of them are working full time? Does it break down those into age groups? As a 16 year old collecting glasses or washing dishes in the local pub or restaurant etc. will likely still be a dependent and their parent(s) will also be getting paid for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The only things worse than our inept likes-chasing Government and the "refugees" taking full advantage, is the Irish cheering this on and berating anyone who objects as racist/xenophobic/<insert -ist or -ism of the month here>

The problem for the latter group of course is that those who are concerned about the impact all of this is having on our country care not for the opinion of those who would see it socially and economically destroyed.

I'll be very open about it... I would close the border in the morning and reject any more arriving. Country is full. End of.

I would then institute a full review of those we already have here on the system to determine their means (just as we can do for our own welfare cheats and chancers):

• Anyone suspected of defrauding the Irish State - back where you came from!
    • Anyone suspected of being an economic migrant (fancy cars, records of trips back home etc) - prove otherwise within 14 days or back where you came from!
    • Any refugee who commits a crime - back where you came from!
    • Any refugee who refuses an offer of accommodation without a valid reason - 14 days to make alternative arrangements, or back where you came from!

For those who are left, I would reduce all payments and "freebies" to the bare minimum of food, basic health and shelter. If they can make alternative arrangements with friends or volunteers, grand. If not, or they don't like this new arrangement... there's the door! No one forcing you to stay. We are providing temporary refuge from war, not a resettlement programme.

We have more than enough problems of our own without taking on those of everyone who lands at the door with a sad story. There is only so much we can do and there is absolutely no shame or fault in recognising that, especially as we give away hundreds of millions annually in foreign aid as well.

I am far more concerned about THIS country and the welfare of its people. I make no apologies for that. Charity is commendable but we've done our part. It's time to start using this sudden burst of efficiency and radical solutions for the benefits of those who actually have a right to them by birth and/or (Irish/EU) citizenship.

As I said before, enough is enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I wouldn't worry, the European economic union got their pound of flesh when we joined and presented us with a bob-tailed cheque, now we owe our soul to the company store and thats how it'll be "going forward" as they say

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭CeCe12

This is what is peeing me off so much. We all know prospering in Ireland (leaving cert,stable job, mortgage) is an uphill battle, not easy. Isn't college supposed to be a time of independence,learning, finding our footing in the world and yes Maryanne God forbid some fun "parties" thrown in? Not worrying. Will I get the points I need? Will I be offered a place? Where will I live? Yes no problem let some ungrateful self entitled, stuck in a time warp with THEIR views of wider society ( LGBTQ+) person who doesn't give a monkeys about the host nation take my digs. Shouting for more all the time like their president "Zerolensky". (Yes I can spell I have named him Zerolensky as he does nothing to help the situation).

Post edited by CeCe12 on

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭CeCe12

So all us like minded concerned citizens, what's our next move? 🤔 Can we organise a peaceful protest? Enough is enough. I am willing to protest, I have no previous experience in this but surely someone on the thread has? Our children's future is at stake. The wall of silence is our enemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119472942#Comment_119472942 There was an error displaying this embed.

If they are planning on going back they are not planning on getting a job we keep being told about. So which is it ? 🤔

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

Many countries aren't even giving any social assistance/benefits out.

Which ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I'll be very open about it... I would close the border in the morning and reject any more arriving. Country is full. End of.

We actually can't do that legally and are committed to the EU Temporary Directive which does cover crimes. Once in they get 12 months automatically anyway. As for your proposed solution it feels a whole lot like how the Russians are treating people. Maybe we can just round them up into camps, but really nice comfortable where we can control these refugees. That way we could fully eliminate their effects on accommodation and the exchequer.

Bit late for camps that's one of the Government solutions or have we forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Does the EU directive mean Ukrainians can swan around different countries until they get to Ireland?

The only things worse than our inept likes-chasing Government and the "refugees" taking full advantage, is the Irish cheering this on and berating anyone who objects as racist/xenophobic/<insert -ist or -ism of the month here>

So in a thread about refugees you are painting yourself as the victim? Outstanding.

😂

• Advertisement

Any protest will lead to accusations of far right. You won't have media reporting on people have had enough. And give the reasons. It's not got to the point where regular joes will bear that accustation yet. It took quite sometimes before the Water protest got traction. Even then they were compared to ISIS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

France have taken far fewer than us pro rata without any issues, does the directive not apply to them? Why are we taking Ukranians coming from safe coutries just for the benefits?

You will get no Answer on France. I surmised on agreement to the Directive the preemptively said they can take in X amount and stuck to that. As there are provisions in the Directive like always to get out of most things. Unlike our clowns who did not and have not an are not going to put a cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭enricoh

What I want to know is what clown in our government decided to give e208 a week to people who are getting 3 meals a day living in hotels.

Surely some senior civil servants advised that this would create a pull factor and we'd be cherry picked compared to benefits other countries offered

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Yes, there is one. I posted the link in my original post. You must have missed it. It's around page 360 if you're using a PC. It gives a breakdown by age and sector of employment, too.

Ofc you don't see gravitation to countries that pay your entire wage to you for x amount of time. As that would be no where near what they get in Ireland per week. it's $200 odd per month average wage in Ukraine that's high earning ones excluding places like Kyiv.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭fran38

I read consistently by posters that we are providing temporary accommodation to refugees and that it's not a resettlement programme. Lads, THIS IS a resettlement programme in line with the WHO's Agenda 2030.

I've also read about ' incompetent ' ' stupid' 'moronic' actions by our government etc etc. This is nothing of the sort. What we have here is a deliberate action to increase the population by bringing in extra people which began in the guise of helping people coming from warring countries . The reason for this? Maybe to dilute nationalism and pride in ones country? Maybe to create an a working underclass to help bump up the state coffers re: state pensions ?

One thing is very clear to me. And that this is a plan designed and it's not something a bumbling government full of gombeens just fell into.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Barbosa92

I agree. I can’t understand the current approach the government are taking. There seems to be some ulterior motive. They have just decided to not share the reasons with us plebs.

Nice to see in the papers today also they are backing out of the proposed new 30% tax rate. No problem paying €50k a year living costs to economic migrants, planning on increasing social welfare across the board. Work and pay taxes, haha tough **** guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I agree also, it looks like the comment by Simon Coveney in 2018 was an aspiration and the government see the Ukranians situation as an aid to growing the population.

"We estimate over the next 20 years that the population of Ireland will certainly grow by an extra million people. Linked to that estimate is that half of that number won't have been born in Ireland." Simon Coveney, Minister for Foreign Affairs & Trade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Some details from the directive, so collective EU clowns, not local ones.

During the temporary protection period, EU member states must provide:

• Access to suitable accommodation
    • Access to social welfare and medical care
    • Access to education for children under 18
    • The legal right to access employment
    • Adults are also allowed to take part in vocational training.

The EU member state may provide access to third level education, but this is not required under the Directive.

Here is a link to it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement