Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,445 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Well save your pennies and organise accommodation for them when the time comes. They can cloth to suit your measure too in terms of where they decide to study.

You're not entitled to have me, or anyone else, sort that accommodation out for you no matter how much you want it to be handed to you on a plate. Stand on your own two feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Nobody is asking Donald Golden Pee Trump for a handout...ok ....Relax and go back to whining on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭CeCe12

Sorry I'm not ukrainian not looking for any freebies, just somewhere suitable for my children to live close to where they will attend. Don't think that's too much to expect.

hmmm. Would it be correct to say that that is something that you might feel entitled to?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Feelings don't come into it. Your either Entitled to something or you are not. Like all SW payments for example.

• Advertisement

Feel entitled to rent student accommodation? The clue is in the name "student accommodation". Yes I'm real entitled 😆

Interesting. The answer to that would be that there is no legal entitlement for specific accommodation to be provided to any person during any specific period. So the whinging for same would most definitely then come under some misguided sense of self-entitlement.

Which was indeed the ironic part of the post I replied to initially.

As suspected, those moaning about some imagined self-entitlement of others are really only doing so in a failed attempt to mask their own self-entitlement and fear that their own handouts might be lessened.

No legal entitlement for specific accommodation to be provided to any person during any specific period?

I suggest you tell that to the refugees so.

They know. I am sure you have read the reports about them being moved around from place to place? Were you not aware?

You certainly do a lot of giving out about the topic for someone who doesn't appear to grasp the basics of the situation

I am aware of them digging their heels in and asking to live in certain counties, areas etc. Voicing genuine concerns and giving out are not the same thing.

I have compassion for the genuine refugees and agree we should be helping them. Not to the detriment of others. All decisions should be for "The greater good".

• Advertisement

Anyone can ask for anything they want. No harm in that.

Who is a genuine refugee if it is not these people? We had another - now threadbanned - poster who expressed the same pretend ideals about willingness to help "genuine refugees" ... but then proceeded to give their definition of "genuine" as only being someone who was stuck in Ukraine who couldn't afford to leave there. Which would be very funny if it were not such a serious subject.

Sorry Donald, but citizens are entitled to some things in a modern society, and that includes the knowledge that there is affordable accommodation for students physically attending a university, especially, when it was the government who encouraged that accommodation to be made available to refugees. But even without the refugees, the government should be considered responsible that affordable housing be available to students., after all, it is the government policies that are driving many small-time landlords to leave the rental market.

The point about entitlements is that the general population are entitled to have the country operated with the best interests of the citizens at heart. The government has not done that. The lack of rental space for students directly affects the ability of students to attend their lectures, which in turn, will affect their results in their chosen coursework, ultimately weakening the economy over a extended period. There's also the economic problems of taking possible rental space from foreign students, for who represent a large amount of income for our universities, which will also affect their development and reliance on the State. As those foreign students fail to find rental space, Ireland loses the reputation of a good nation for educating foreigners, which would be difficult to get back, considering both the competition from other countries, but also the shift to distance learning.

The point being that this situation is as a result of State/Political ineptitude. Students should have the accommodation needed to attend their studies.. any argument against that is just plain silly, and obviously it's an argument for the sake of arguing.

Very simple, the ones that have already been granted protection in another safe European country but have still found their way to Ireland. This is a democracy, I am entitled (that word you hate so much) to my opinion as you are to have your own.

Sorry Donald, but citizens are entitled to some things in a modern society,

No need to apologise klaz, but if you take care to read the original post in that conversation, I replied to a poster who was giving out about "self entitled" people. I merely pointed out that that was ironic given that their anger stemmed from their own sense of entitlement.

What you are doing is justifying that entitlement - which is irrelevant to the question of whether it exists or not, except for to confirm even further its existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,723 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It’s quite easy to accommodate you when you’re not taking up nearly as much room as is required to accommodate… who was it again? Oh yes, in your own words -

Agreed, let’s get back to discussing the uncapped influx of economic migrants to this country.

It was yourself who expected that consideration be given to yourself and your family, whom it is apparent are already well provided for, over Ukrainian refugees who are not. It wasn’t me who opened that door in the first place. In fact I’m more than happy to welcome anyone to this country who wishes to emulate your good fortune in respect of themselves and their own families and to offer them every necessary support and opportunity to do so by our Government on behalf of the Irish people.

Oh, I have my own disagreements with that poster over their attitudes about those on SW, however, I was following the conversation between the two of you, and the sense of entitlement for some facilities/services with a first world nation is justified considering the cost of living in this nation.

You see, I do believe that citizens of a country are entitled to the smooth operation of that nation, which includes the availability of housing for students. It was the ineptitude of the government both with regards to housing policies, and the refugees that has caused these problems.

I never expressed any opinion on said entitlement. Just that it existed and that it was ironic that it motivated some vague slur against other people as being "self entitled".

I was at a party myself last night and am feeling a bit fragile. Go easy on me😍

I have made no comments about people on social welfare. The only reference I have made was to previous conversations by others stating that those on social welfare have no right to live in Dublin. But that somehow the ukrainians should be allowed to.

ALL accommodation providers have to submit a form weekly stating who is or isn’t on the premises at any time or risk losing their payment. Any refugee, absent for more than 7 days in any 6 month period are deemed to be no longer in need of accommodation and their belongings are to be packed up and kept in a secure place for 60 days and the accommodation given to someone else. The talk of going on holiday or returning to Ukraine for anything longer than a week is nonsense.

• Advertisement

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119476816#Comment_119476816 There was an error displaying this embed.

For that to be implemented speaks volumes. As if it was not happening they would not make a rule. And who is checking and collating all these logs ? 7 days seems made up as you can go for 14 odd on the dole. So how do we square that circle.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

If your source of news about Ukraine and behaviour of Ukrainians, you need to look elsewhere.. And, hey, if they're here and going back for visits and even a Hen, fair play to them, they're working their way back. If instead they've decided to settle here, they'll be contributing members to society subjected to the same laws and taxes as everyone else (so, if they're on the dole, they'll be treated like the rest of dole recipients.)

And, do you know, from your Facebook feed, that the Ukrainians claimed to be returning for Hen do's, how they arrived in the first place? What their circumstances were? Perhaps their town is still obliterated but they've decided to support their friend the bride anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119472722#Comment_119472722 There was an error displaying this embed.

You’re claiming posters are blinkered but you yourself are in this thread with minimal likes on any of your posts yet other posters are blinkered?

I don’t post for likes! I post facts and honesty. Not everyone likes the truth!

I don't recall you posting many facts Mary.

But they are treated better than most especially the other refugees. They have free accommodation, food, all social welfare for themselves and the kids, bring in their cars and pets with no vrt or insurance or rabies jabs, driving license waiver, no criminal background check, no waiting time for pps, no or little waiting time for school places, medical cards for all and GP access, free place in third level, no fees for visa processing or work permits, and some are working at the same time.

Definitely not the same as everybody else. Try doing some of the above or applying for them and see how ya get on.

I can tell you for a fact even getting a pps number can take months for other applicants right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Gamergurll

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119476773#Comment_119476773 There was an error displaying this embed.

So.. You are happy students won't get accommodation this year and one of your reasons was because they will have parties, but it's okay for you to do it? Okay 😁

Did you even read my post, I said this woman was interviewd by Irish media.

I just find it interesting that you say 'fair play' to them for going back to Ukraine on holidays. Surely if they are so fearful for their safety they had to travel from one side of Europe to the other they wouldn't be going back for such trival matters?

There seems to be some confusion about how long the refugees can leave for, Mary have you evidence that they can only leave for a week? This has been discussed here and elsewhere and I always read they can leave for two weeks same rules as people on the dole. Facebook posters are enquiring how long they can leave before they loose their accommodation and benefits and get the same information as this

Hang on sorry, I'm a bit slow today sore head myself, had to go back and reread that post, the 7 day thing only applies to those in certain accommodation and obviously won't apply in host situations, in that case they have two weeks with welfare.. Disregard that part of my last post, more coffee needed 😁

• Advertisement

It sounds made up as it's not inline with SW information. Now it could well be that if your working and leave. But why the free accommodation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement