Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Embrace being a second class citizen in your own country they mean.

and taxes that WILL go through the roof… feck all attainable healthcare, already… ohh yeah, embrace it…

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Was I hearing things this morning when they said 200 Ukrainian doctors had arrived here

no need for doctors in a warzone obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

The student accommodation problem is not new.

But it has never been this bad or as widespread as it is now . Don't downplay how serious this is.

This is a really big problem all across the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The student accommodation problem is not new

No it isn't, but you championing the cause certainly is, isn't it?

Why is that I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I will let people in on a little secret. English is the language of Europe. Don't share a language English is the go to. Jobs seem to be the big red herring. If this is a temporary solution they will not have time to find work apart from part time as they will be preparing to return home. I know exactly why France is not a destination outside my theory. The SW is Terrible. Number of countries in the EU tend to pay you what you earned for x amount of time not a flat rate like we get here. So $200 dollars a month vs what you get here weekly. If users are promoting Russia report them. Myself I am very supportive on Ukraine in the war thread. Dealing with Refugees is a different issue for Ireland.

• Advertisement

I will let people in on a little secret. English is the language of Europe

Of course yeah, all the students who traditionally flock to France for the summer to learn English. 😕

Myself I am very supportive on Ukraine in the war thread

Oh yes, there is a few of them, openly war mongering in one thread and demonising refugees in the other.

It really is bizarre.

There is more than one reason the Spanish come here to learn English. Interesting choice of words "war mongering" Are you suggesting the Ukrainians lay down their arms ? Supporting them in an existential threat is not War mongering. War mongering sounds like Russian appeasement. 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

That was kind of my point about English...some countries govt./state apparatus (as well as the general public) will be more open to operating in it if need be. This problem does not exist when coming to Ireland because we speak the world's lingua franca anyway. This makes things easier for all immigrants.

It would have been better if you had first posted these ideas on poorer welfare, rather than a conspiracy theory that France got a secret political deal where they can just ignore the EU directive effectively.

I wouldn't really agree about the "jobs" thing - this war has already been going on for a few months (half a year now) and most people do want to work if they can get a job in my experience.

On the pro Russia stuff, the account is already banned off that Russia thead, that is only reason I know + brought it up (since one cannot search the posts, and I can't recall exactly why they were banned). edit: That history makes me doubt the motives when the same accounts start up posting about problems due to Ukrainian refugees + blaming govt./EU policy.

Ireland has really done little to help Ukraine that stands out vs any other EU member. Some have done alot more that is for sure. Probably the number of Ukrainians that have chosen to come here is only element of our support that actually has cost us a bit more over and above some others in the EU, given the existing govt. created housing/accomodation crisis here, but of course the Ukrainians did not initiate that problem anyway.

Post edited by fly_agaric on

There is more than one reason the Spanish come here to learn English

Yes but they don't go to France to learn English, do they?

War mongering sounds like Russian appeasement.

lol.

War mongering is encouraging more war, a bi product of war is refugees.

You can't have one with out the other. You want the war but not the refugees.

That's the bizarre conundrum, wouldn't you agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,105 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

• Advertisement

Where Did I say I want a war ? Give us a link to that. Or are we trying to put words in Peoples mouths. If I had my way at the start of Russian massing on the border would to have bombed them to the stone age. Stopping any need for the Ukrainians to defend themselves and their loved ones lives. If you think anyone wanted The Russians to rape and pillage torture, "commit war crimes" it's way across parts of Ukraine well I don't think you will find those people outside of Russia or their supporters.

So please retract I want a war.

Never said you did, I said.

War mongering is encouraging more war

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, It's exactly my position on it. Russia and Ukraine are at war, although there is some on here would have you believe there is no war and Ukraine isn't even in Europe.

Now the result of that is refugees, you can't have one with out the other. Something you seem to be unable to grasp.

Oh and there is and has been a few nutters on here who are in complete support of the Russians. Some more subtle than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Taxes will go through the roof? Really?! What's that based on? The exchequer surplus we have this year, the cancelled bond sales cos we didn't need the money, or the budget kite-flying around a 30% tax rate to give more money back to medium and high-earners?

At the rate the RuSSians are shelling hospitals and medical centres I certainly won't be judging them.

Internet heroes on the other hand. 🙄

Typical - that poster complains here about "economic migrants" and having to pay for people's accommodation in hotels, and when someone tries to rent privately at no expense to the state, they complains about that. It's almost as if the problem isn't economic, it's more about foreigners...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Have any of you in favour of this opened your own home (primary residence) to refugees? Why is that I wonder? In fact all the posters that want no cap and full welfare payments seem to either not live in Ireland, retired but still not willing to take them in or the classic “wouldn’t subject them to that, they’ve been through enough”. Shouldn’t you be leading by example?

Jaysus, you were berating people for doing just that this morning, now you are berating them for not doing it? Pick a lane.

Anyway by the same token you'll be opening up your home for students this year given your new found concern for them, I assume?

"Have any of you in favour of this"

Means what, exactly?

Opened your own home (primary residence) to refugees?

Yes. Currently awaiting vetting clearance.

Why is that I wonder?

Because I saw what was happening in Ukraine - civilian buildings, including hospitals attacked; civilians raped and murdered; children taken from parents and forcibly "relocated", etc. So I discussed it with my family and we all agreed the decent, human thing to do would be to offer our spare room. In past generations, it would have been called the "Christian" thing to do, but we're not Christians.

In fact all the posters that want no cap and full welfare payments seem to either not live in Ireland, retired but still not willing to take them in or the classic “wouldn’t subject them to that, they’ve been through enough”.

Nah, that's just in your head, I'm afraid.

Shouldn’t you be leading by example?

Well, in the past, I've taken part in anti-war protests, anti-homelessness protests, and the like. Does that count?

What have you been involved in, as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Fair play, at least your consistent in your belief in the cause. Too many are doing nothing themselves while claiming they care about this as a cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,722 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Why is that I wonder?

What’s to wonder about, people aren’t doing the things you think they should be doing?

Nothing unusual about that. I’m assuming you’re out every day 24/7 doing border patrol and telling Government and the EU how they’re all doing it wrong and should be doing things by your example, which, let’s be honest - appears to amount to doing absolutely nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭CeCe12

6 people and 2 replies to the tweet they sent out about the protest.

Hardly the mass protest people are advocating for on here. Is it?

They were out in front of the Dail. Hopefully there getting their ducks in a row as we speak. Something tells me the crowd will be much larger this time 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭The Witches Cat

How many Ukrainians are you putting up Mick????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Place is a shambles yet they are busy grandstanding and throwing billions away.

900,000 currently on hospital waiting lists.

Any of you want to help this girl out? You know so she can live somewhere near where she wants to go to college?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Can see why the “host families” now want rid. Only so much of this rubbish anyone can take really

They have managed to put freezes on Ukrainian refugees in some areas due to no accommodation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

That’s good. We might see an end to this nonsense. Only way it will hqpien is through europe as we don’t have a government in any real sense here anymore. Just a pack of NGO arse lickers

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement