Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭CeCe12

I said Germany is becoming overwhelmed and some areas have stated they can't take anymore. I said nothing about them being expelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Looks like my earlier comment about your "prejudices" proved to be kind of correct given above post!

They don't run the EU, and I'd argue the politics of either of them trying to get derogations until they are under as much pressure from this as likes of Poland is impossible.

Also I think the 2nd sentence is just wrong (or disinformation) as I believe Germany are trying to cut their gas usage at present for obvious reasons.

No (or yes!) you did not - never claimed you did and was just responding to what seemed like an inaccurate read (by a different poster) of the article you posted. Others have argued it here as a good policy for Ireland to adopt afair (basically ignoring the Directive, or even expelling people).

OK I'll do a DT on it.

I didnt say the article said they died in tents, I said they are left to die in tents. Is that better for you?

So, why link the two when there’s absolutely no connection between your claims of people dying in tents and the supporting link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Germany Via Ursula von der Leyen President of the European Commission via the commission have asked the EU "each state mind" to cut it's gas usage by 15%. Prejudices is the new Racism is it ? Are you suggesting Germanys gas usage is the Entire EUs problem ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,442 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

But but but ..... you are reading some "opinion" of an anonymous poster on boards.ie that the Germans have begun refusing/expelling Ukrainians and just believed it.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119482325#Comment_119482325 There was an error displaying this embed.

Do you know what. Fair enough I'll admit I didn't read it. But homeless have died in tents number unknown.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

Thank you for holding your hands up. It’s a good idea to read and understand links and their part in your discussion.

No the "prejudices" were those negative opinions you hold of the EU/France/Germany etc., so common on this forum. Not "racism".

Not much to do with the thread but the problem goes beyond Germany. The whole east of the EU, not just Germany, has been using that gas from Russia which Putin is dialling down (importing of which helps to fund the Russian miltaries' war in Ukraine anyway).

There are also EU gas and electricity "markets" and we are all connected to Germany's economic ups and downs (incl. this potential energy crunch) through internal trade in the EU single market, sharing the Euro currency etc. It is a collective problem needing a collective solution, just like Ukrainian refugees (funnily enough).

I googled one below on German businesses/industry getting ready to cut their gas consumption (why would they be doing that if everyone else is pulling all their irons out of the fire per you I wonder??)

https://www.dw.com/en/how-german-industry-plans-to-cut-its-gas-consumption/a-62654811

• Advertisement

Article states some areas can no longer accept refugees.

So wait Negative is prejudice now no no it's not. I can say what I like about bad policy. The EU is not NK they will survive my poor opinion. Germany's Energy policy should have no bearing on the Entire EU will say no more at it's off topic.

More tripe from Scholz

"It is important to us to understand that there are a lot of people fleeing from Russia because they are disagreeing with the Russian regime,'' Scholz told a press conference. 

They should have left at the start of the war if they were that concerned. The vast majority seem to support the war. I suggest suspending visa travel and anyone wanting to leave present at an Embassy. The German Government seems very soft on Russia.

It's difficult to report an imaginary person though

That doesn't mean what you appear to think it means. The obligation is on a Nation to accept the refugees and provide for them. There is no obligation for a refugee to demand to be housed in any given area within that country. Nor is there any EU requirement at a sub-national level for how people are allocated under the Directive. For example, a Ukrainian is entitled to residency in Ireland, but is not entitled to residency specifically in Dublin. They can request it but it is not a right. It is up to the national bodies to manage where they go internally.

What you have there is the equivalent of Louth Co. Council telling the central national bodies that they don't have any more facilities available in Louth. In those circumstances, it is still an obligation of the national bodies to accept and provide for the refugees. From the point of view of the refugee it is irrelevant. They never had a right to be housed in Louth. They can only land in Dublin airport and go where the central authority sends them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Oh, in communication off-boards, are ye? In some private telegram group, maybe?

These negative opinions were based on incorrect information (on Germany above), or else you want to make up your own "stories" without much evidence to go on (like France have a secret deal to cap the numbers of refugees or the UK Eurosceptic belief that France + Germany alone "run" the EU for their benefit like an "EUSSR" or the "4th Reich" or whatever the slur of the day is).

That is almost the definition of prejudice I think. I'm sorry, you can say what you like (within reason), but you will get somewhat bored and annoying "lurkers" like me popping up to dispute such stuff sometimes when posting online.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

My cousin matched with a girl on tinder….her bio said “I’m from the Ukraine..Looking for a gentleman who can help and support me here…”

have to give her points for honesty I suppose…

help and supports I thought were being given plenty, free gratis… 🫢

• Registered Users Posts: 44 mustardorcustard

Knock knock.

Whos there?

Toomanypeople.

Toomanypeople who?

Toomanypeople in this country that have arrived out of nowhere over the last decade with a concomitant decrease in available accommodation, increase in accommodation costs, decrease in homes to buy, increase in home buying costs, decrease in social mobility, increase in commuter hellscapes, decrease in healthcare provision, increase in hospital waiting lists, increase in school class sizes, decrease in school places, increase in social housing lists...

It doesn't matter who, where, why or when these extra people came here and continue to arrive. It doesn't matter at all.

We are operating significantly beyond capacity. You'll see just how significant it is come January next year when everyone has the hand out, with sweet fa to go round.

It's going to be very, very rough. As if the direction of this country could ever have led anywhere good to begin with. Select profiteers cheered on by the very imbeciles who'll be first in the firing line to go hungry and homeless, backed by an increasingly propagandist media.

Its all grand until it isn't, no prophets needed for this one.

• Advertisement

You were wrong that the rest of the EU is going to protect them fully from the consequences of the bad energy/gas policy.

You're not wrong that other countries have felt they haven't been strong enough on Russia. In fact, that would be one reason why it would be politically hard for them (or France) to start putting limits on numbers of Ukrainians entering until they have taken on a burden comparable to what Poland etc. have. IMO, these countries that are tougher on Russia + have been supplying alot of weapons to Ukraine earlier than Germany and pushing for ever harder EU sanctions (incl. a Russian visa ban) may think sheltering the refugees is part of their (+ the EUs?) "war" effort.

So ye've a private telgram group discussing what ye say on this boards thread. Thanks for the honesty. And other threads? Do ye coordinate responses? Who else is in the group?

No it's not private (the telegram).don't even have a Facebook account. Get on their yourself if you want to see it.

Your seriously paranoid, myself or anyone else on this thread ( that I am aware of) do not communicate off boards.

And us no more ukrainians are the delusional ones?

It's from the ukrainian telegram group Facebook. Free for anyone to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 mustardorcustard

As if you wouldn't believe there are private communication groups of Ukrainians giving each other "tips", some of which wouldn't be viewed very favourably by Irish people.

Same for any of the other large groups that have arrived here. The shenanigans would burn your ears off, no doubt.

That's what groups do, they group. They group against group.

Once upon a time it was the foundation of nations, a foundation that cost untold bloodshed and strife lasting centuries. Things hardly settle into peace before big brains decide to start it all over again? It's hard to credit, but here we are.

That people could be mystified as to the inevitable outcome of separate groups living side by side in competition for increasingly rare resources such as housing, well...what can you say? Life was too easy and boring, was that it?

And that's a separate problem from the simple, and VERY observable issue of too many people total.

It's a two for one, there's a bargain for you.

Grand, so. You just know that some of the other posters also got warnings. Sure we'll call it telepathy.

You may be unable to connect dots but I can. Listen up.

1. Barbosa threadbanned. Strike 1 come back your smart remark about how banning is not the same as a warning. I included this.

2. I received a warning. I stated I was putting Trump on snooze. Strike 2

3. Someone else stated they were putting someone else on the toupee. Strike 3 - I interpreted this as them also having received a warning.

No conspiracy theory here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Germany absolutely runs the EU

Anyone who says different is ignorant to reality

https://www.economist.com/europe/2020/06/25/germany-is-doomed-to-lead-europe

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They do because of economic clout but it's a lot more nuanced than that. In truth it is themselves and France because that is how it was all set up post-WWII. The truth is they too have given away a level of decision making to the collective 27 and things don't just happen because Germany says so.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement