Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Thought would post this in case any of our resident Putin-admirers + others full of stories about the awful ungrateful Ukrainians want to bag a cheap holiday in an Untouched Region!

The Department strongly advises against all travel to Ukraine, for any purpose. Irish citizens in Ukraine should leave if safe to do so. The situation remains extremely dangerous across all of Ukraine, including in western regions, with missile attacks continuing countrywide. The capacity of the Department to provide consular assistance to citizens in Ukraine is extremely limited.

Pah, bunch of bedwetters afraid of their own shadows!

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Lol Keep drinking the cool aid. We have done enough for Ukrainians. We are full.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

This chap* put up a video last month about how perceptions driven by media and our own perceptions of war don't always gel with realities on the ground.

If people are fleeing the actual wartorn areas like Donbas etc and can't find somewhere closer to home then OK, yes they do need help and support and this went double in the early days. However Ukraine is a huge country, the vast majority of it "safe", even where the above lad is in a big city only 80kms from the front eating sushi and going to bars of an evening, yet we're still taking people in and giving them the equivalent of damned near a months salary and other benefits? While in the middle of the worst housing crisis in our state's history? Never mind those from Africa et al fleeing sweet feck all.

We're being played for fools and our authorities and charities are encouraging it.

*I find him good as he tries to get a balanced view and position. He's been measured and sometimes critical of both sides and most of all doesn't go in for jingoism. Though it's telling of the Russian side that the other day they've turned down his many requests to report from the Russian controlled "independent" states. Not a surprise. They only seem to "accredit" those who will parrot their narrative. He applied to go to try and get some actual facts and viewpoints from there, knowing that if he did get in and report he would be banned from re-entering Ukraine afterwards, but he was still willing to try and get a wider picture. In that recent vid he also mentioned in passing that Russian forces are "taking a lot of territory lately", which seems to conflict with the general media reports that they've stalled for a month.

This is that vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NstQcDqWZRE

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Yes, you can live 80kms from the "front lines" in Donbas, and a Russian cruise missile or rocket can take out your apartment building. I wouldn't be taking chances like that with my family. "Safe" areas in western Ukraine have also been subject to rocket and cruise missile attacks.

Never mind those from Africa et al fleeing sweet feck all.

Yeah, fleeing sweet feck all. ****'s sake. 🙄

* https://www.unhcr.org/news/press/2022/8/62f4c3894/million-people-displaced-drought-somalia.html

* https://businessday.ng/private/article/nigeria-gives-refugees-hope-as-world-marks-humanitarian-day/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Irish people should not be travelling there due to the instability in the country just as they shouldn’t be travelling to Afghanistan. That doesn’t mean the entire population should leave the country. In these situations you won’t be advised that travel is safe for a long time, depending on the conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

So the soldier with no family with him and inoperable brain cancer thinks it safe. I suppose safety is relative, depends on what you have to lose.

Can you give an example of how our perceptions don't gel with reality?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's a long way from Somalia to Ireland and how are they paying the smugglers? I hate to break it to you ted, but the movement of African economic migrants into the EU has been going on for far longer than that drought and the influx is overwhelmingly male in makeup. Are the women and kids not thirsty/being shot at too? Note the difference with refugees fleeing wars. Indeed the very subject of this thread. Far more women and kids and old people. Just like every war refugee crisis and movement in history. Google pics of refugees in WW2. Overwhelmingly women, kids and the old. Bugger all men, particularly young men. Funny that.

His health status and what he has or not to lose has bugger all to do with it, though as you do love to deflect well you know it. As he points out the shops and restaurants are open, even sushi places, even the strip clubs of Kyiv. Ordinary life is going on, even 80kms from the front. The mayor of Kyiv has been inviting Ukrainians back home. It's a very different situation from the first couple of months with the Russians advancing in the north and towards Kyiv with Ukrainians on the street handing out AK's.

OK then, genuine question: how many Ukrainians have left to go back home from Ireland?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

The language class I'm currently teaching has one male Somalian and five Somali women, but sure, you seem to have already decided they're economic migrants, despite the drought or facts... "Ted".

In that recent vid he also mentioned in passing that Russian forces are "taking a lot of territory lately", which seems to conflict with the general media reports that they've stalled for a month.

Your own source is contradicting you. 😕

The Mayor of Kyiv also stated it will be a cruel winter with no guarantees of heat or light and he fully expects another attack on the City with intelligence stating that their is a huge build up of missiles on the Belarusian border.

I imagine if I had sent my wife and kids away I wouldn't be too keen on them coming back just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

So we're basically saying were not going to send anyone back ever. There could be power/heat issues for years after a war is over. Even if the Russians are driven back to Russia the threat of invasion will never go away. Can't we let the rest of the class know of what criteria must be met for Ukrainians to return. I mean if it comes to a complete stalemate and Russia retains some land. Do people return to areas near this land ?

Edit.

Just to add if it comes to a stalemate and a ceasefire. What's to stop the Russians lobing Cruise missiles every so often to random places. We know they have zero issue with killing civilians.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

The thing is where do you draw the line about taking in refugees from wartorn countries ? Because there is a line. There are borders.

There's plenty of them out there, dozens with wars going on decades, but we have never taken in the massive numbers that we are seeing now, right at the worst possible time too.

There ARE limits.

Those limits look like they have been reached already.

We have a responsibility to look after own citizens wellbeing first. The influx is definitely impacting our public services negatively, and it is making some students homeless already while costing massive amounts of taxpayers money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

So they just haopened to land up in Ireland directly after taking a boat from Somaliland.

Right.

And how many refugees is Ireland able to take in, 60 or 70k year to date I believe .

Whats the plan? Wars are not going to stop. But we rapidly are running out of places for even our own people to live.

This is not theoretical. Its happening RIGHT now.

And refugees are getting shoved into tents and the simon community etc.

So I ask again...what is the plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Probably not far off the same statistics as them dying in Ireland somehow at the minute, as there is one of them getting hit when they go back.

So when do we stop taking them in? We are currently unable to cater for the ones we have here, as well as it costing a fortune. Surely we should stop taking them now, and continue with whatever half arsed plan the government have to house the ones that are here already, then eventually, we can start to look after our own homeless, and then, maybe if things pick up again over in Ukraine, we can look at what options are available, and put a cap on the madness, by also comparing against what other countries are doing.

A good result for the students...People were kicking up stink locally about this particular accommodation being handed over to Ukrainians. It is now apparently being taken back from the Ukrainians. That should never have happened in the first place. Refugees should never be placed in high demand areas, especially when it's taking away someone's chance of an education and job!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

So it seems it's crickets time when asked what is the Criteria for Ukrainians to return. Funny that. The only way to Guarantee no invasions in the future is for Russia to completely collapse. Again even in a stalemate missiles could still be launched. What's the end game here

• Registered Users Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

I actually vomited in my mouth earlier while driving past the student accommodation that was given over to Ukrainians here.

You got physically sick driving past student accommodation that was providing temporary accommodation to refugees from a war torn country?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

It's not a war-torn country though. It's a small section down the bottom right. Even on their live cams in the so called "WAR" areas it's business as usual, beaches packed, hotels booming, children and families everywhere.

The cams are easily searched on youtube and the net in all the regions the media is telling us is destroyed and under siege and the cams say different.

We have the peasants bumming everything they can.

Would make me sick too knowing students can't get accommodation because of a bunch of leeches.

Many Ukrianinans/refugees are coming from safe countries. Poland, Romania , Moldova, Latvia, Lithuania, German ect.

I agree with her its sickening what's happening.

Get your facts correct before responding to me please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Is this not what you said?

I actually vomited in my mouth earlier while driving past the student accommodation that was given over to Ukrainians here.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

If it is safe for Irish diplomats and embassy staff to return to Kiev, then it is also safe for people from Kiev currently sheltering in Ireland to return to Kiev.

They have to go back and rebuild their own country instead of shamelessly scrounging here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Agreed. A good outcome for local young people who can move forward with their education, knowing that they can access purpose-built accommodation and enjoy some semblance of the student experience. Accommodating refugees should never be to the detriment of citizens.

Interesting that the protest in Finglas around housing non-Ukrainian asylum seekers in the community, also resulted in a dramatic u-turn. It seems like some locales are growing weary of accommodating a never ending stream of new arrivals and are exercising their right to articulate their objections.

Turbulent times ahead it would appear.

Houses available over the summer, but you'd have stuck people in tents in some backwater anyway - and vomit at the thought of someone receiving a little charity?!

Wow. You're special, all right...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

For that "bunch of leeches" comment - threadbanned

Again, you need your facts straight before you respond to my post as you are twisting and spinning what actually factually happened in this situation. It was far from temporary and over the summer.

Just to add if it comes to a stalemate and a ceasefire. What's to stop the Russians lobing Cruise missiles every so often to random places.

You would hope the ceasefire. But...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Why so angry?😘

Nah, Ireland has done f-ck all for Ukraine vs any of the others that support it apart from taking a fairly large number of refugees in proportion to our population. We (Irish govt.) can't get actually out of that imo (or political/geopolitical price of getting out of it will be extremely high).

It does tend to dispute the thread's seemingly popular narrative that all is well in Ukraine, all always was well in Ukraine and those fleeing from the "war" (people like the old scare quotes here!) are economic migrants on the make, scamming the Big Hearted But Sadly Naive Irish People (The Most Generous and Charitable Little Country in the World I tells ya) with "war" chatter when the place is grand ("mostly untouched" afair).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Are you teaching this for free or are you getting paid Captain Philips? If your getting paid then your a beneficiary of that immigration.

Somalia is classified as a lawless country so is the entire population entitled to leave and not just move to a neighbouring country but travel half way across the planet. What about North Koreans and Afghans. It’s really not sustainable.

• Advertisement

Embarrassed by what you said? Gone past the 1-day edit limit? Tough. We can see what you said, and what you're like.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement