Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yep, What happens if it escalates ?

Putin is certainly anti EU… comments in the last two years have shown that… he went on a tour of Africa and was denouncing how scabby the EU and US were…where the citizens were scabby with aid to war torn and famine ravaged African countries.

about 25 billion in aid went from the EU to Africa in 2019 alone ffs. He’s an absolute joke shop of a human…worried about poor Africans…he says that while attacking the Ukraine..

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭fran38

That's why I said all of this is planned. Coveney mentioned that he hopes we have 1 million in Ireland by 2030. Weaponising generous welfare rates is part of scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Veering off into conspiracy theories with the 2030 stuff. Give it a rest lads.

Besides this lot couldn't plan a line dance at a garth brookes concert.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

If you read the whole thread it was posted already and it was in the news at the time. Is it surprising given the number of landlords in the Dail? They directly profit from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's not a conspiracy. It's something Simon Coveney has previously commented on.

Given we can't even support 50,000 people, you'd have to wonder exactly how they plan to do this. Pushing more people into badly planned and already full cities/towns with a few extra parks seems to be the answer.

Post edited by _Kaiser_ on

• Advertisement

I think those figures are for the island of Ireland, not just the Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

It's anything but a conspiracy theory unfortunately. an extra 1 million by 2040.

Bonkers stuff.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭emo72

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119540633#Comment_119540633 There was an error displaying this embed.

Just the republic Mary. Can't see how we are going to have infrastructure to support the population. It's broken as it is

All non-EU countries are going to be anti-EU, including the US, because the EU gives European countries bargaining power, and an association to stand at their backs, in dealings with other nations. I don't see Putin as being any different from other leaders, except he's more open with his opposition.

As for Africa, foreign Aid has been a disaster. Plenty of short-term successes but the long-term consequences have been rather bad. But then, foreign aid usually comes with some kind of price tag involved, as it's rare for politics, or the interests of the contributors, not to be involved. I can see where Putin is coming from, in part. Although I don't think any foreign involvement in Africa is designed to help Africa, but rather to keep them where they currently are, rather than elevate them economically and socially to develop at a greater rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's not just being an economic migrant.. depending on their laws it could be anywhere from draft-dodging to desertion.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭slay55

I think its another topic if you lads want to keep delving into that stuff can open it up there.

Its no secret that ireland is open to immigration and the population is likely to grow substantially. Most people don't have a problem with that its just doing it the right way. Its also true that Waterford, Cork etc..they are really small cities that could easily expand , build up, and it would be good to offer more jobs and offset Dublin and its also very strange that Ireland doesn't have a midlands city if you ask me.

Most people don't have a problem with that its just doing it the right way.

Most people haven't been exposed to the negative consequences of immigration... we don't have a national broadcaster willing to cover these talking points, and our politicians certainly won't. Very few people in Ireland are aware of the establishment of migrant enclaves in France, the social unrest that has come from it, etc. There is very little attention given to the topic, and so, the assumption that all is rosy. That somehow Ireland will be different, even though we're doing exactly what other nations did before us.

There is no public discussion encouraged in this country regarding immigration, integration, etc and so, most people don't really know what's going on. Do you really think most people check the cso statistics on migrants in Ireland?

We've been encouraged by various governments to be supportive of the population increases... but there's been no balance applied in doing so. I suspect most Irish would be concerned if they knew how things are playing out in the rest of Europe and understood the same issues will likely arise here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

It was a conspiracy theory a few posts back.

Now it's a great idea 🙄

I think its a conspiracy theory to say this is all about one poltician, a grand plan of a cabal of insiders etc. This is going to happen anyway as part of the EU , being an open economy and largely being pro immigration and international business. This is a long term trend and is not new.

I dont think ireland is letting in so many to boost the numbers overnight. Its much easier to understand it in the context of 'arent we really nice' and 'this will look good in europe' .

This is a long term trend and is not new.

Nobody suggested that it was something new. Multiculturalism has been the desired environment in Europe for close to two decades now. Germany and Sweden being the poster children for pushing it, but ultimately it was approved within the EU. We had our own citizenship referendum, and soon after, the government starting seeking alternative ways to bypass the will of the people on the subject. Oh. being pro immigration and pro international business are not the same thing, as one doesn't necessarily follow the other.

And you're downplaying both the population shift and the changes in demographics in Ireland within a relatively short period of time. In most cases within Europe, these changes happened over much longer periods, and from multiple causes, but Ireland's situation is very different. It's not about changing numbers overnight, but the changes over the course of one generation. That's not a long time to consider.

Not going to continue with this here, as I'm sure the mods will comment soon, but you might want to consider the multiculturalism in Ireland thread. This has all been covered there, and there's been a decided inability by the pro-immigration crowd to counter the concerns/criticisms of posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Are we now going to take in the same number of Pakistani refugees, given how badly the monsoons have left Pakistan?

There is a limit to how many people we can realistically house.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

No, again if you think the EU are taking in Ukrainian refugees solely out of the goodness of their heart, then you seriously need to rethink how you view the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

Thanks for letting us know there is a limit that can be housed. I thought the facilities were there to house the entire 7.7 billion people on the planet. Can you elaborate more on why we can't house the entire 7.7 billion people on the planet? I'm only asking because people like to tell us there is a "limit" as if they are coming up with some kind of new information. Like do you actually think that everyone thinks that Ireland can house 7.7 billion people? Because you had to tell us there was a limit right?

• Advertisement

Yeah yeah yeah lets discuss over there.

Not a fan of folks trying to shoehorn their other concerns into this. This says 'Ukranian refugees in Ireland' that's why I post in this thread.

I know a lot of this stuff already I don't need to be lectured to I'm well aware of that multicultural thread.

I for one minute don't begrudge any legitimate Ukrainian refugee here that is already here a place of refuge, food medical etc. There has been an influx near to where i live and i have found most to be very appreciative and thankful and many has found jobs, are hard workers and some of the stories back home from the war are very hard to hear to say the least. But and there is a big but coming, it is plainly obvious to see that we are at capacity now and as many have mentioned as well as the accommodation issue there is other huge issues such as health, education, school transport etc which we are struggling massively. I no a lot of those issues were here before the war which is what can be expected when you have in my humble opinion a shower of greedy useless wasters running the country for the last twenty years. Thats is for another forum and another day.

My main issue and concern is the mass influx that are still arriving from other countries that have already granted protection and are safe. There is a family of four who plan to come in September from Portugal. Asking people to confirm is this for real and true that they can give up protection in another country to come here and they won't be sent back. Another family has plans to come here in October from Spain. This is a regular daily discussion on this Ukraine group how can i leave another European country to come here.. Why leave Spain and Portugal to come to little old Treasure Island. Does it ever occur to our incompetent government that it might be time to tie in benefits with other Countries. And before certain posters question this, these posts are freely available to see on the Ukraine telegram facebook page.

As mentioned above. you would not want to have a heart of stone not to have empathy for the genuine refugees who came here first but it is bordering on insanity what is going on now.

I think we are now at this stage. I'm sure backroom talk was in order at the beginning, you'll take this , take that etc..

There must have been a number thrown out within EU member meetings. There's no way it was 100k or 200k and give them free everything. No other country is doing this. Well not on a full term anyway. We seem to be on a no time limit basis other than 12 months to 3 years.

I'll guarantee we said 3 years straight up while other countries said 12 months then realised oh no sorry 6 months, oh **** maybe 3.

We are taking alright. I'll give you that.

TAKING THE PISS.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Property prices in Ukraine are still rather tasty compared to similar ex Soviet countries not at war. I spotted a basic 1 bedroom apartment in Odessa for €195k, how can there still be any demand for property in a country at 'war'? 🤔

Why not??

Go look at the live cams from Odessa. It's dark now. But during the day, people everywhere, builders on site out building apartments.

Langeron beach cam full of men, women , children, families carrying on as normal having a great time.

looks like a good spot.

There was no "shoehorning" of my own issues. Other posters raised the points about immigration, integration, etc in regards to the Ukrainian refugees, and the interest of the government in increasing the population of this nation. I merely voiced an opinion, and before it led the thread off the rails, suggested moving to a thread that is more appropriate to those particular concerns.

But, let's be clear here. You also placed your own views on these concerns. You seem to believe that you should be able to voice your opinions here, but others should go elsewhere. Whereas for me, I do believe that the issues over integration, immigration, etc do relate to this thread, because a decent % of Ukrainians will want to remain here after the refugee status is revoked. Anyone who believes otherwise, has no real understanding of the state of Ukraine before, or how it will be after the conflict. However, I also know that the mods will squash any discussions that aren't directly related to the Ukrainians as refugees, so I'm anticipating the mod warning.

As for being lectured... You're not. I am a lecturer, so I do know the difference. You were faced with views that differed from your own. That's all. Now, you could have accepted those viewpoints in the neutral way they were presented, but you chose to push the perspective that they're somehow unreasonable (hence the lecturing reference).

You don't want to come to the other thread. Grand. I'm not terribly surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭thedart

How have the 17 house development been giving to migrants? There was 89 people already on the list for them.

• Advertisement

Folks get all offended when somebody says focus on the topic on hand.

That's on them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement