Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Wonder who owns this one .

Edit - I found the name of the company the journos couldn't /wouldn't name.

Heronwell Limited (a company setup in Jan 2022 ).

":The new owners of Youghal's Quality Hotel are preparing to welcome Ukrainian refugees as the popular family hotel is being transformed into a "care centre".

And while no further holiday bookings are currently being taken, the new owners insist they want to retain the three-star hotel as a tourism and community attraction. 

Transfer of ownership was completed on Monday, with staff and guests at the hotel briefed on the change. ":

Post edited by maninasia on

• Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Anyone in the media is pro population increases…. More people in the country the more stations and programs can demand and get in advertising revenue… therefore the more too people like Kenny can demand in contracts from his employer newstalk..

most businesses are pro population increases… bigger pool of potential employees which drives down wages and more people here doing business as consumers with them..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

A "care centre"nice new language ... That's where the money is these days, I can almost see the spittle dribble down the owners chin as they count the greasy wads from their new enterprise

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

No, you are wrong. You need to come to terms with the vastness of Ukraine.

It would be more akin to (in terms of land areas) Munich, Paris, Brussels, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, Bern and Milan being attacked, and millions from France, to Czech Republic and Italy to Netherlands covering everything in between all seeking refuge.

Those place names are purely used because of the land mass covered, nothing to do with the city populations of the places attacked. It would look more like Deggendorf, Frankfurt, Bonn, Auxerre, Poitiers, Mulhouse, Monza, Pizek and Kaprun. While still having millions fleeing the areas from the aforementioned points/countries.

It is much closer to a missile landing in a field in Kerry and those living in Belfast fleeing, than you think. Even then, it would be a bit of a stretch, it would be more like fleeing Glasgow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

They don't need direct flights to get there, nor a couple of days. Not that a couple of days would bother them. You can fly direct to Chisinau, and then a 6 hour drive to Kyiv if they wanted to go that far. We already know that they are going and coming back, so why you come out with some of your drivel is baffling.

But I really have no idea where your absolute nonsense about very 6 months comes from, I can only assume it is more of your tripe attempts at backing the government no matter what. So not only pathetic, but it also makes you look stupid too, but I guess it's all in a days work?

Turning down houses because they are 'used to' cities? They really need to get a grip if that is the case. Free everything and now choosing where they fecking hold up for allegedly 12 months now? Why not go back to their cities?

Seeing as you like to make stuff up Maryanne, any chance you could tell us about the return assistance program that Ireland should have in place to help them? Yes, it is a voluntary program, but each EU country should have a program in place to help/encourage them. It is fairly easy to pick an EU country at random (some non EU) and find out how theirs works, but for some reason, not Ireland. Why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Why not indeed. Pretty sure there is EU mandates dealing with access to information in an easy to use format here it seems FOI. I know people in Belgium, want to find out anything just log onto there version of GOV.ie. Here it's all hidden. Not sure why someone has not taken this to the EU tbh. Everything here seems to be behind some kind of pay wall. Take SW itself. Your supposed to know exactly what your entitled to. Yet they don't tell you they say may or could and don't say what all the addons you could get are. Well that's for Irish People I know have had terrible times trying to find out what they can claim. You can't have multiple claims open either "because" reasons, say you don't know what your entitled to you should be able to claim for all then they need to figure out what your entitlements are it's pure time wasting and horribly inefficient.

So that hotel was awarded a 12 million euro contract soon after changing owners. Or the company that bought it was awarded thr contract prior to even owning the hotel?

Interesting....interesting.

Why won't the media even name the new company that owns it? Weird and useless.

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/east-cork-hotel-staff-fear-23747898

I don't know why stories from Limerick come up on my news feed as I don't live there but this is very relevant...

I read last month about 1,000 students struggling to find accommodation in Limerick.

But they're taking in another 200 refugees in Bruff, which I looked up is 30 minutes from the city so well within commuting distance to the city 🤯🤯🤯

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/905983/limerick-town-prepares-to-welcome-hundreds-of-ukrainian-refugees.html

I do ask again...if Ireland went to war, would Ukraine rehouse us in the same way!? They would in your Nelly!

Students can go take a running jump . our government washed their hands of the problem. But at least this place is taking Ukranian refugees from some student accommodation sites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

It’s just the usual Irish corruption. A relatively small number of hoteliers working with the usual gombeen politicians to make vast profits from the refugees. That is the reason we are taking so many in. The profit of a few individuals is being put ahead of the welfare of Irish citizens. When the truth comes out in a few years (which always happens) people are going to be sick.

How many times do the Irish need to be caught out before they develop a bit of cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

We have taken in people who were staying at different colleges around Limerick and helped to relieve the pressure on them.

Would help to read the article. 👍️

How long would the tendering process have taken? Emergency situations need emergency action.

Cities in Ukraine are targets. There’s not many living in rural areas in Ukraine as city living is the norm. Have you got proof that Ukrainians are travelling back and forth, or is it just your usual drivel?

So……….alternative accommodation is found for the Ukrainians in a former convent, freeing up student accommodation and ye still find fault!

Mainly because it wouldn’t be of a suitable standard for our lot. Lack of en-suites. Possibly drafty windows. Too far from mammy. Etc., etc

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

That's a bit rich really considering a few posts earlier you were justifying Ukrainians turning down houses because they're used to living in cities.

The poor precious petals!

I'll make it simpler for you - they take what they're offered or they can find and pay for their own, or go elsewhere! That applies to "our lot" as well, although they actually would have more of a claim than picky new arrivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

The refugee business, lets call it what it is. Cheerleaders on here must be getting a slice of that pie. €400 euro pm for them atleast. Million's wasted turning hotels into refugee holding center's which Paddy has to pay for.

Dude, you joined a few minutes ago.

I wouldn't be suggesting people have multiple accounts. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Irish homeless are not popular. Ukrianinans are the new trend.

Its sad but that's how society works when the government it has tentacles in the media and controls Paddy's tax.

It's a legitimate question.

We have a long standing problem with housing - availability, cost to buy, cost to rent, security of tenure etc - and people living in hotels in emergency accommodation.

For years we have been told that these are not easy problems to fix and will take time and even years to see progress.

Yet here we are 6 months into this Ukrainian situation and all the stops have been pulled - welfare, accommodation, medical cards, food and other goods, fast-tracking and waiving of normal procedures, and huge numbers placed into hotels, halls, tents and anywhere else!

One of these things does not align with the other.

Why?

Why is Paddy being treated as a second class citizen in his own country?

Why is debate and questions on this issue being stifled in the mainstream media?

Why have we not been given visibility of the plan beyond "keep em coming"?

Why are we being told to prepare for massive bill hikes and energy conservation/possible blackouts when we're spending billions on this effort?

Again.. why??

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭foxsake

Whatever the motivation whether nefarious or greed or a simple kind heart - it's telling that the Government have ignored not only the homeless but now the student bloc . I get the homeless - in a mean spirited way - no votes there . but the student bloc is a weird one - plenty FG and FF future voters there.

Assuming the government are incompetent but not stupid , there has to be something else going on - otherwise why alienate a huge bloc of voters (or potential)

I'd believe orders from higher ups in the EU - influx of refugees or anti putin - at any cost.

Hopefully the warm glow in our hearts will keep the poor warm all winter.

Maryanne...respectfully...how is increasing the population solving the problem 🤔🤔🤔...they're not freeing up accommodation, they're giving it away to refugees instead of trying to help students who need to be housed to get an education.

I don't book a 50 seater coach for 50 people and when 500 or 5000 people show up to get on it, scratch me head wondering how that happened.

Ah I wouldn't say that they're necessarily getting a cut - sure we've seen that like Helen they have "reasons" for not taking some in themselves. It's everyone else who must Do More.

It's the era we live in unfortunately - it's more important to be seen to be on the perceived "right" side of an issue than anything else, coupled with supporting ones "side" (or political party) at all costs.

Unfortunately though this ideology never works when confronted with the hard wall of reality, and that's what we're seeing now as the very obvious problems with the Government's approach to this issue become increasingly hard to ignore or deflect from.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

The answer to your question is very easy. A combination of corruption and ineptitude. Vast profits are being made from the refugees. Also, during such crises the government can get away with doing nothing and don’t have to work on policies. Covid, refugee crises, energy crises all loved by the government because it means they can get away with doing nothing other than saying everything is the fault of the crises.

Of course the government don’t cause all crises but there is zero incentive for them to proactively prevent or mitigate crises. We need to get this idea out of our heads that the government is working for us. Could one person here say that they believe Helen McEntee is working for the benefit of Irish citizens? Anyone? If you do I promise that I will just accept your opinion without question.

Ok I think I found the main tender lot and awards for the Ukranian accommodation centers in Q2.

The name of the new company (est Jan 2022) that bought Youghal hotel and subsequently got the 12 million Euro contract is Heronwell Limited.

Details here.

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders/ViewNotice/264189

Anybody know their way around these sites to find details of tenders and won tenders?

The funding body is the Department of Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth National registration.

Post edited by maninasia on

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Liath Luachra

The article is a fluff PR piece, 140 there at present of which approx. 40 are women and 1 child attending local primary. Remainder are men, mainly in 20s and 30s age bracket. There had been South American students renting in the building and attending college in Limerick - their tenancy is now ending.

Could one person here say that they believe Helen McEntee is working for the benefit of Irish citizens? Anyone?

Since homelessness or people in emergency accommodation is a stick being used to beat refugees with.

I'll give you one example, McEntee introduced a bill to tackle domestic violence one of the major drivers for people and children seeking emergency accommodation, they actually leave a home but that home is unsafe.

But the usual heroes on here deemed her an anti man uppity Bitch.

But yet they will Virtue Signal the fúck out of what is a very complicated issue to appease their irrational fears and rancid begrudgery. 🙄

• Advertisement

Respectfully, Daisy. What student wants to live in an old convent far from the college ? Better off living at home and commuting. If you read the article quoted you’d see that freeing up student accommodation is exactly what they’re doing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement