Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Main dealer 'fake' cars...

• 05-04-2022 9:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭

Have bought two cars from the same main dealer in the space of a little over 1 year. The exact same situation happened when purchasing the cars that has gotten me a bit suspicious about a possible sales tactic. Cars are in the €22k range. It was a different salesperson each time.

I had forgotten this happened the first time I purchased but the fact it happened the second time has me wondering if this is something they do to either prop up prices by creating cars that don't exist or to lure you into feeling like they're selling so fast you better take the slightly higher priced car or that will go too.

Basically, both times they had a car I was interested in based on model, spec etc. but no pictures - I'll call this Car A. I call about Car A and get told the cars were only recently traded in so were being prepped so would have pics when done. Said they'd send on pics when ready. Called back a few days later and get told they've sold them but they have another one (call it Car B) that's slightly higher in spec and ~€2k more. I check online and the cars I was originally interested in are gone from their website.

The first time it happened I didn't think anything of it and had forgotten about it. The second time it happened it was the day after buying Car B that I remembered the same thing happening previously. So I took a nose at their website and notice the car I was originally looking to buy (Car A) was back up online - so I bought Car B at about 4pm on a Thursday and 9am Friday morning Car A is back online. I call to ask to talk to the salesperson who I had dealt with about Car A and get told they're busy with another customer and they'll get back to me - but I get no contact from them. I call again two days later, same story, not available, will come back to me - never get contacted by this salesperson. Then I get an email out of the blue from the saleperson I bought Car B from saying they had a review of the car and wanted to throw in some extra work without charge (over €1,200 worth of work based on me getting it priced separately). This offer of extra work out of the blue is what has really gotten me suspicious that they think they're rumbled with possibly messing me about pretending the other car sold when it either didn't sell or doesn't even exist and they're hoping to keep me sweet.

I won't name them or the brand publicly as this could be seen as slander maybe. My post history will show queries about certain brands but not that I purchased any of those brands.

Do I sound paranoid or are they acting the b*ll*x?

Just to say, the cars I purchased were still fairly priced based on comparisons to others and were higher spec so the extra €2k was still fair in terms of price.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

What kind of work are they offering to do/pay for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭redsheeps

I didn't want to say specifically because it could be identifiable to them. It's mechanical in nature and something that would need to be done periodically but is pricey when it needs to be done. It's something that when originally purchasing the car they told me that it would have been checked and passed their tests for sale. Then suddenly it was something they wanted to do for me without me asking for it to be done.

Advertisement