Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New windows coming soon, magnetic sensor issue

• 06-04-2022 9:41pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So, the double glazing is going to be upgraded, to try to keep the heat in the house rather than let it escape, and I'm looking for some ideas, as the old style wired magnetic reed sensors that have worked very well for us for a long time are not suitable for the new windows because of the shape of the window frame rails, due to the curve, there's no way to fit them, let alone fit them so that they look tidy, and I don't want to have openings that are not monitored by the alarm. The sashes are lockable, so in theory, as long as there's a vibration detector on the window, the insurance companies should be happy, but it's more a case of making sure we don't go out and leave a window open.

Don't want to go infra red movement detectors, that's just too much aggravation in a dormer bungalow, family member in the UK has an alarm system that means you can't go downstairs unless you unset the alarm, and that's a right regal PAIN, so we're not going that route.

So, what are my options? The window suppier are not being very helpful, their attitude is that they can't get involved because they're not PSA registered, and from what I can see of it, there's nowhere on the frame to mount a sensor and magnet combination. From what I can see of it, most of the suppliers are taking the same attitude, and I find it hard to believe that there's no easy answer to perimeter security.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,798 ✭✭✭✭altor

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

There's an issue with a draught seal (just visible in the second picture) on the front outer edge of the frame that means it's not possible to modify the frame shape to accomodate the reed sensor, it may well be a situation where I end up finding a way to put the sensor inside the frame on the outside, and mounting the magnet in a recess in the opening section above the locking mechanism, but it's a case of not knowing what the alternatives are, the "standard" magnets and reeds just won't look good on the frame because of the curvature. The vibration sensor is wired, the wires were fed into the frame after it was all fitted, the supplier doesn't want to be involved at all, so that's not helpful.

We had one window fitted as a trial run last summer, and the difference it's made means that there's now 9 windows and 2 doors being replaced later this year, so I've some serious work to do on deciding what's needed.

You can add a separate pre-wired contact to the fitted shock sensor rather than putting the shock on the curve to line up a contact or you could just go with the Shocks and not fit contacts to the openings if you don't like the look of them on the frame. Either option is better than relying on a PIR in as room to catch an intruder who has already gained entry to your home.

I hate drilled frames for cables, the amount I come across that the cable has been put into the drainage channel for the window. This itself can also cause issues.

Thanks for that, I think I'm going to have to do some experimenting with the ranges of the various magnets, some of the windows have a top hung sash, and then a side hung sash below it. Easy on a wooden window and using wires, which was the only option 30 plus years ago, not so simple with PVC, I may have to look at going wireless, but HKC are not making it easy for non installers to get anything useful technically these days, their data sheeta that are on line are little more than a sales blurb, and no help at all when trying to work out the best options for the upgrades that will be needed, I suspect I'm going to have to look at a much more comprehensive upgrade that was first anticipated.

If worse comes to worse, shock sensors on a closed window will prevent an intruder gaining entry to your home.

• Advertisement

OK, that's a help, but 30 plus years of not having to check all the windows before going out is a habit that won't be quickly broken, not at our age !

Thanks

Advertisement