Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to meet or at least learn from preppers in Navan/Meath area

Options
  • 06-04-2022 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

to be honest I am extremely wet around the ears with this. I would like to meet or learn from other preppers locally. not necassarily to go bugging out with, and i am not going to try and learn where your hidden supply stash is. I would just feel a little better in these troubled times to know and learn from likeminded people. Skill level isn't all that important.

regards

Dan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 LidlDunnes5000

Depends on your financial situation. I'm hoarding food mostly from Lidl and Dunnes and packing it in snap lock storage bins from Boyd's shop. These bins are the biggest toughest bins they have and are 16 euro each. I was originally using much cheaper bins but through trial and error learned the weight of the food buckles the bins at the bottom. I stack them to the ceiling with wooden panels between each to keep them sturdy enough not to fall over and kill me. You can stack these bins floor to ceiling six high. At the floor level keep the first bin out from the wall by about two and a half inches and with each bin you stack move the next bin in a little closer to the wall with the last bin flush with the wall. The idea is the tower can't tip over on you. I put white rice in the first three bins and pasta in the last three bins because rice is much more heavier then pasta. You don't want that kind of weight all the way up. These bins are packed tight. Each layer of rice / pasta is perfectly flat in a black bin bag because light destroys the quality of the food and when packed tightly you won't have a problem with weevils. This is as cheap as you can go without splashing out for shelving , hermetically sealed jars , shrink wrapping and deoxygisers. I hoard tins of peas, beans, fruit and Sardines because they are cheap, nutritious and have the longest use by dates. Use by dates are just a guide. I'm eating porridge a year past it's use by date because I stored it properly. Mackerel is much tastier than Sardines but Sardines don't contain Mercury. I don't bother putting tins in snap lock bins. The only protection tins need is from damp or they'll rust around the seals on the ring pulls. I get them from Lidl by the tray and put them into a bin bag, then stack them at floor level. I buy the large jars of carrots from Dunnes. I bag them in bin bags and put them in drawers and under furniture such as the bed, under the couch etc but I don't stack them because it's glass. Anything heavy keep as close to floor level as possible. If you do this remember to keep the bin bags tightly closed. Air and light destroys food and smells attract mice. I'm doing this since March 2020. The aim is to start with where I can see the food, use it and make sure nothing is burrowing in. The next step is outdoors in heavy duty cantainers buried in the garden but that's a few months away. I'm also looking into fresh free food such as Dandelions, Nettles etc. There's plenty of information online on what you can eat from the ditches but you might have a look in Easons for a book on edible weeds. That's on my to do list. Paper books don't need electricity. Currently I'm also getting in a Range for heating, cooking and hot water. This stuff is endless.

Advertisement