Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

watchfix.ie or watchrepair.ie or someone else entirely?

• 06-04-2022 10:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭

Hi,

I see there is recent thread about Omega service, and a guy in Kilkenny was recommended, but I was wondering about Dublin based options.

I have a quote for €350 for an Omega Planet Ocean from both watchfix.ie and also watchrepair.ie, has anyone used either of them, and what was the experience like? I'm based in Dublin, so would generally prefer to use a Dublin based service, but would consider thevintagewatch.net if he was better / a good bit cheaper. Also, I'm not sure of the best way to get the watch to Kilkenny from Dublin, would you use post / courier and if so what is the story on insurance or just go down in person (it's been a while since I was in Kilkenny, and I had no plans to be there any time soon)?

I know there are other options like Weirs, but I understand they are very expensive and send them away for service anyway.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

I have a watch down in the vintagewatch in Killkenny atm. Sent it down by registered post, insured etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Smokeyskelton

Thanks for your reply. Have you used his services before, and if so would you recommend?

He seems a bit cheaper from looking at the website, but obviously that is only relevant if he is good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I've had him fix two watches for me. No complaints with his work at all.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll contact him about the service / polishing.

Does anyone have any feedback on the others service providers before I commit?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

Hi,

I can highly recommend Emily Nerney she recently repaired one watch for me and serviced another. She is based on Naas and she is on linkedIn

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Are you sure she’s based in Naas ? I though it was Laois

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭893bet

She was around years ago. Can’t remember the name of the company. She went off the radar then. Didn’t realise she was back around.

Thanks everyone.

Just to follow up on the above, Emily is indeed in Portlaoise, the website also lists Castle Market in Dublin, but she emailed and said she no longer has a Dublin base, so I would have to send it by post. Good to hear that she is also recommended.

Vintagewatch seems a bit cheaper, so if both are recommended, and I would have to send the watch either way, I'm probably better off going with him.

Thanks again for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭deaglan1

Have you considered

http://www.tullywatchrepair.com/

Serious setup this, having visited many years back.

Thanks for the suggestion deaglan1. I hadn't heard of them before.

I still haven't bitten the bullet in relation to the Omega. I'm a bit short of cash at the moment and I'm delaying it for a while, so I might contact them.

In the meantime I got my Seiko repaired, which was cheaper, so at least I've got something on my wrist!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I have heard good things about them over the years. I think they might have popped in here way back in the day. Good to hear Emily is still in the biz as she had a very good rep.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Didn’t know that Emily was back

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Who did you go to in the end? i also need to get my Omega serviced?

my hour hand gets stuck at 9......!

If the question is to me, the answer is no one yet! It was a bit more expensive than I expected and I was a bit short of cash, so I'm leaving it until after the summer holiday to get it serviced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Has anyone dropped an Omega into any of the boutiques in London for service?

Am near one tomorrow and have wanted to avoid going via Weirs.

£420 and up to 24 week turnaround time (Seamaster 300m) in the Omega boutiques in London in case anyone is interested...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,985 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Jesus! I was worried about the turnaround time when it was "just" 12 weeks!

I've sent my 2535.80 to John Donohoe for service along with my IWC spitfire for a polish and rebrush. Both watches will turnaround in a week and the cost for both jobs is about par with the Omega SC. I've used him previously for a service and some case work in a VC and he did a great job.

The thought of my watch being away for nearly half a year for service? Is mad really, watches are to be worn and not being able to wear it? Kinda ruins the point.

I should say the 24 week is more of a max to cover their arses, I think 12-16 is more common is what they said to me

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Emily at Entime is fantastic, great service

https://www.watchrepairs.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,477 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I used Swisstec in Essex when I lived in the U.K. for some Omegas and a Girard Perregaux. Was very happy with the service and I dropped off/picked up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭eljono

My wife wears an auto 1960s Omega Seamaster and unfortunately, the crown and stem seem to have disappeared... It's quite strange, she has no recollection of knocking or banging it off anything. It's probably 4 years since it was last serviced, and it has been losing a little time, so will have it serviced whilst being repaired.

Apart from Keanes, is there anyone else around Limerick/Tipp/Clare who do servicing and repairs? @banie01 @893bet perhaps you local lads may know of someone?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Tully watch repair mentioned above is based just outside Loughrea.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Deregos.

This company in Bailieborough are very reliable.

https://watchworks.ie/

Pictures of your own bad parking WITH CHAT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭pjdarcy

If anyone wants to learn how to service their own watch I can recommend Mark Lovic's courses. They're easy to follow and relatively cheap. (I'm on level 2 at the moment)

https://www.watchfix.com/

Advertisement