Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to UK

Options
  • 07-04-2022 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

I'm thinking of moving to england or scotland in the coming months for change. I have noticed that alot of jobs require DBS checks. So do I have to get a police certificate from Ireland for every job I get out there? Like if I applied for a job in Aldi would I have to get one? And if I got a new job do I have to get another? Or are they just for health and social care jobs.

Just to make it clear I have no convictions or anything. I have got police certs before for other countries but took ages to get.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Dublinandy3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭PommieBast

It is usually only for specific jobs, mostly in the public sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

From my experience, certification lasts for a number of years (3 or 5) I think. I work in IT and had to get a basic (no criminal record) one for that. If you are working with children or vulnerable adults then an enhanced one is requested.

From the government site -

You’ll be able to take your DBS certificate from one job to the next, unless:

• an employer asks you to get a new certificate
    • you need a certificate for a different type of ‘workforce’ (for example, you have an ‘adult workforce’ certificate and need a ‘child workforce’ certificate)
    • you need a different level certificate (for example, you have a standard DBS certificate and need an enhanced one)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Yeah only for specific jobs, mostly public sector or with defence links etc.

I've been here almost 11 years, gone through a few jobs (IT, global companies), never had one done.

Advertisement