Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pulled over by Garda

• 07-04-2022 1:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Hi Folks,

I was pulled over by a member of the Roads Policing unit earlier this week and it was the first time in 12 years of driving that I have been stopped.

I knew something was up as the garda car was hanging out In the fast lane of a dual carriageway but just behind me, and then the blue lights came on.

Pulled in when it was safe to do so ahead and it was a most unpleasant experience from then on. Basically straight away he approached my window and asked why I didn't stop straight away. His issue was with the angle of my number plate, which I can't really help as most 90s Nissans have a tilt bracket on the rear plate.

He told me to get out and come around to the rear of the car and told me I was standing too close. Asked for My license and took a picture of the front and back.

Then he walked around the car and checked inside and also checked wheels and tyres, then explained my number plate was not visible, and if im caught with it again, I will be prosecuted (for what?).

Asked where I was going to and where i was coming from, and asked how long I owned the car. All tax insurance and NCT is up to date. He already knew my name as he has the details on his iPad.

I've just been thinking back on this over the last few days - this can't be a normal experience when getting pulled in? Especially taking a picture of my license front and back and saying I could be prosecuted in future for the angle of my rear number plate?

As its the first time I've been pulled over, I would be interested to hear other people's experiences.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭mk7r

What kind of car is it? the regs say the number plate must be mounted vertical or almost vertical, is it far off that? Might have just been a bad day for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Welcome to the club. I have never been stopped by a nice Garda. 12 years is some going and never dealing with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

At least you had a numberplate. I've seen quite a few lads who seem to have decided that the numberplate ruins their custom colour schemes or something and done away with them altogether.

They'll prob never get pulled over though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I would suspect that the car was fitted with ANPR and it was failing to recognise the plate, I must say I can't think what you mean by it being angled, any chance of a picture or model of the Nissan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If your number plate is non-compliant then he is right to pull you up on it. Sounds like he let you off, but if caught at you could be prosecuted - for a non compliant number plate. I'd assume checking license, tax, nct is normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

How long have you owned the car? Maybe it has some history in the pulse system which made him suspicious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭easygoing39

I would have been more shocked if the guard was professional and polite in his conduct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Theres plenty of them out there that aren't very bright and that shines through with their interactions with the public quite often. I've a few friends in the garda and let's just say they're not the sharpest tools in the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Whilst the issue with the angle of the plate may have caused to stop, it doesn't excuse rudeness or obnoxiousness for that matter.

Having a "Bad day" just doesn't cut it.

After scanning OP"s licence and having presumably looked vehicle details as both vehicles stopped it should have become clear, very quickly to the Garda that there was nothing to see here.

Whilst assuming the sequence of event as laid out by OP are accurate, I'd be sharing the experience with Phoenix Park by way of a complaint.

I've had little interaction with Gardai but those I have encountered are generally very professional and curtious but like any large organisation there'll always be a few people in that organisation who require a refresh in people skills training.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

If the plate is on a bracket then you should be able to straight it up some bit which might stop further hassle. There is a few Gardai that carry on like that when there's no need for it, if you're dealing with the public at least be courteous and respectful. Anytime I've had similar interactions with Gardai it's been in a modified car, I've every mod declared on the insurance so I'm not too worry about being pulled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

OP, just get some double sided tape and fix the number plate.

In terms.of when you say he was driving. behind you, I assume it was normal Garda car? Also, how long was he behind you, and was the driving lane, the one to your left clear at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i was stopped for speeding at the weekend by the nicest garda ever, most gracious exchange of 3 points

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Complaining?? Christ that'd be funny they'd laugh you out the gate. Gard would say I pulled the fella over because of his illegal number plate he had an attitude on him didn't pull over straight away stood over me while I was performing my lawful checks etc etc. Just chalk it down as an unpleasant experience and move on.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 665 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

Regardless of if OP was in the wrong there is still a right way to approach people. If I treated people like the way I have been treated by nearly every Garda I'd be fired. I don't see how they get a free pass

If I've read the OP, there was nothing illegal discovered, was there a fix penalty notice issued🤔 was the car impounded 🤔 was the OP arrested.

The Garda involved from my reading of this situation had a rather large chip on their shoulders and serious attitude problem.

Having a bad day just does not cut it and bad manners and rudeness completely unacceptable.

I agree completely and if I've read the OP correctly there was absolutely nothing found that even warrented a fix penalty notice. Seems to me the Garda was more annoyed at not finding anything wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

The number plate sounds a bit dodgy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭feelings

One warning and the car gets crushed if caught again, would sort that out that sort of nonsense pretty quickly. Penalties are much too lenient.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Just to break it down to the bare essentials:

Garda asked you why you didn't stop straight away

Advised you why he stopped you.

Asked / told you to come around the back of the car.

Asked / told you not to stand so close.

Asked for and took pictures of your licence.

Checked your car for defects.

Left you off with a warning.

I'm not really seeing the issue here?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 665 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

Not really, I have a classic Nissan and the number plate on the front is at this weird angle. It's perfectly readable but I could see some Garda doing similar to the OP.

• Advertisement

Well done you completely missed the entire point of the OP's post 👌

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Life is tough in this fascccccchhhhhhhtttttttt lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I suspect the car has history as said earlier... clearly the Gardai felt threatened when said standing too close... personally i do not think Gardai should be pulling cars over alone...

I'll throw something out there. I've not personally had any dealings with Traffic Gardai and as I've said any dealings I've had with gardai, generally excellent and professional. I don't subscribe to Garda bashing and have great respect for the work they do, I actually know a few, not personally but casualy.

So, I live in the Midlands and I'm aware of Two Traffic Garda that are infamous with regard to their dealings with the general public. To my astonishment one even has a WhatsApp group dedicated to him (I'm absolutely not in this group) .

There's a perception, rightly or wrongly that a certain type is attracted to this Unit , am I wrong 🤔, I just don't know but I've certainly heard to stories about interactions with members of this Unit that are quite extraordinary and wouldn't be tolerateď in any other work setting.

I say again, there is absolutely no excuse for rudeness , I get the Job can be difficult but no more difficult than many other professions that involve interactions with the Public.

What part did I miss? If you're talking about the OPs feelings, those aren't really relevant. It's what actually happened. They said it was unpleasant, but I don't see any of the actions of the guard as being unpleasant.

What do you think was unpleasant?

Of course the OP's feelings are relevant. Its the entire point of the post. There is a way of dealing with people and the Garda has failed to do so. Seen it myself in dealings with the Gardai myself in the past.

OK. That means it's very subjective. What if it was the OP that was having a bad day? OP feels hard done by because he was pulled over. Garda meanwhile feels they were extremely professional, and let them off with a warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

To be fair if he’d sat behind me with no lights or siren for an age, then put the lights and siren on to pull me over and asked why didn’t you pull over straight away, I’d have said you should have put your siren on sooner I’m not a mind reader!

From the 1 side we’ve heard it sounds like yer man had a bit of a complex.

Wonky numberplate, crime of the century!

We have policing by consent in this country, so a little bit of good manners should be a default! Acting the maggot like he’s somehow better because he’s got a hat is not the way to go!

Was that not more a Covid thing than feeling Threatened 🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭ax530

I understood NCT checks number plate if it passed NCT it is compliant ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

NCT only says it was compliant on the day of the NCT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭sham58107

OP were you in "the Fast Lane " of dual carriageway or Just Garda car ? there is as far as I am aware no "fast lanes " in Ireland they are overtaking lanes , were you hogging lane ? slowing him up ?

As others have said how long have you owned car ? has it previous ? not you but car, my son once owned a car which had drug markers from previous owner although bought from main dealer, was stopped and Garda said he would and did get marker lifted.

How long did it take for you to pull over ? were you polite ? usually Garda will go with whatever attitude driver has, and the fact that he was extremely thorough looking at you and car suggests something else was amiss.

No excuse for rudeness, but everyone has bad days, unlike others here we all have days when we just want to leave work and go home.

I find most guards very civil a lot better than years ago ! As regards complaining there is nothing to complain about , he did his job, you went on your way , just chalk it up to experience.

From the NCT site

Reasons for failure:

• One or both plates missing, insecure or not clearly visible.
    • Numbers or letters missing or illegible or incorrect size
    • Numbers, letter or background of incorrect colour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Dempo1 , Have a look at 3 Gardai Lying , Making up Laws and intimidating a member of the Public , All 3 of them! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6mHbA17zO8&t=202s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

A few years ago i was driving on a pretty windy national route where there is no overtaking... there was a junction with a traffic island and the road was straight for a bit... i looked in mirror and nothing behind except way back i could see a car rounding last corner... i went for it and in seconds there was an unmarked car with lights flashing... i acknowledged their presence and because the road was windy it was about 1km before i could pull over safely... The Gardai car just kept going... happy days...

One thing i will say from my limited experience of Gardai i think by robustly taking charge of a minor situation they make people feel uncomfortable... bad pr and unecessary... we break the law get caught we pay... no need to take charge of minor incident... there is enough real fcukers out there...

I get the impression that some Gardai want people respect the uniform... i be of the opinion we need to respect the person wearing the uniform... it just happens their job Gardai..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭thefallingman

There is a reason why we are shocked when we deal with a nice pleasant Garda, because unfortunately they are rare, and usually the older more experienced ones not on the beat that much. What did this man(op) do to have his full car examined like that when only the reg plate might have been an issue, he complied with everything that was asked of him and yet it seems clear to me anyway the gard was trying to aggravate him. Gardai like this need you to massage their ego with yes Gard no Gard just to appease them. As my father always said, it takes a special type of person to be a gardai.

M

The owner could change them to different plates 3 mins after the test in the NCT car park.

Law abiding Irish motorists, surely not 😁😏

M

Same is done with headlights, they fit sets of bulbs only legal in Toytown and change them for legal when doing the test. They are the cars that regularly blind you on the road.

Lads move on from the NCT semantics please thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Just to answer some of the questions here that have come up. It's not my first time dealing with Gardai on the road, but it is my first time being pulled over in live traffic. I have been through plenty of Covid checkpoints, tax checkpoints and random breath tests and my experience has generally been positive.

I have owned the car for 6 years and it is driven almost every day. There is no history associated with the vehicle as I am the first owner in Ireland.

The number plate is at a bit of an angle because they come on a bracket from factory, which is needed so that the rear bumper can be removed around the number plate. The bracket is attached to the body of the car, which is behind the bumper. Google "90s Nissan number plate bracket" and you will see what I mean. You can still buy them new through Nissan.

Regarding my comments about the fast lane, I was in the left hand lane of the dual carriageway, and he was in the outside lane, but not completing the overtake. He was sitting about 15 feet behind me (essentially in my blind spot). I assume this is done to get close enough that they can use the ANPR system but not be tailgating.

It's correct to say that I got away with a "Warning" but the point is that the whole experience was very unpleasant and I felt the level of hostility was not warranted for the situation. I was not speeding, I was not driving dangerously, I was polite, and everything on the windscreen was up to date.

Chalk it up to a bad experience? Yeah probably. But I would like to know if scanning of the license is normal practice, and if some report gets filed from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

It seems the number plate is correct for the car? It's the way it was designed and manufactured? Is this illegal or not is the question. For peace of mind op if you could make it flat out would give them no excuse. But if it passes NCT and is legal I'd be rightly annoyed by being pulled for not breaking the law. And having to put up with rudeness to match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

OP can you please post a pic of you number plate (with the reg blanked out) so we can have a better idea of what your on about, i just did a google image search like you suggested and i don't see anything at an angle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Wow. It looks like this Guy likes to annoy Police forces - here and in the UK - by taking YouTube videos of them in operation. And you think this is a good idea?

No, they are uncovering tyrants, Best guy on Youtube is Auditing Britain https://www.youtube.com/c/AuditingBritain , He has 175k followers, His mantra is photography in public is not a crime and the police are public servants, If he gets respect from cops he reports it and congratulates them for it However If they disrespect him or begin infringing on his rights he exposes them. Have a look at some of the vids. He has sued several officers, He then gives the compensation away to local homeless people near the police station where it happened.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_t4MCRup9s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

I just see an idiot who is winding up Gardai. I agree photography is not a crime, but there is a time and a place - e.g. if he started taking photos outside my house I would not be happy.

But perhaps you would be ok with this, either way, I'm happy to leave the thread continue without our sidebar.

Can we have a photo of the rear numberplate please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I don’t believe that a moderator should be giving his opinion on a thread he moderates.

I have no connection to the Garda but I have had no bad attitude from them whenever I’m stopped except to say that I found them fair even when gettIng a few points on the licence on two occasions. No bias either way.

I agree up to a point as most of the guys on Youtube are troublemakers, But seriously Have a look at a few vids from Auditing Britain, He is entertaining and knows the law better than most of the police he encounters.

lol so I am not allowed an opinion or if I do I can't post it in a thread 😆

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think you should remain outside of the discussion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement