Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salary much lower than new colleague with same work background

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭pjdarcy

Good luck in the meeting this morning OP. If you don't get the result you want, don't be afraid to move jobs. Moving jobs is the easiest way to get a really significant pay increase and you never know, you might love the new job even more (and maybe be able to afford that house you're looking for).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

How did it go @sura28 ? Are you celebrating a promotion/pay rise?

You say in your OP you are with this company nearly a year. Are you still on probation? If you're less than a year in your job, say nothing until your probation is passed.

Then raise it with your manager. I'm not sure how you'd approach how you found out about your colleague's salary, as that could be seen as a data breach if you saw it when you weren't supposed to. That's not good.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

It's been said upthread but just to reiterate, avoid discussion of colleagues, be it their salary, performance or anything else in one to ones with management.

If you have already spoken to your manager, OP, hopefully all went well. If you have yet to approach, talk about your own salary and expectations only, is my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ok for starters stop doing unpaid extra work, especially staying doing work without overtime.

Oh and "thank yous" don't put food on the table or increase the chances of you getting a decent mortgage.

I hope the talk with your boss went well.

You need to lay out exactly with evidence how much you are doing and be honest that you can't afford to stay on current salary.

It is not being petty.

Also update your CV.

But I think by the sounds of it you are probably not going to bridge the gap to your colleague and they don't probably don't really care how much extra work they shove your way.

They have probably twigged that you are willing to do it so why change a good thing.

It is a job seekers market at the moment, but that won't last long with good chance of recession coming.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Squatman

Hi Manager, I really like working here, and offer an excellent support to the team, however, i am finding it increasing less affordable to continue working on my current salary. Could we discuss options for increasing my salary. I feel i have a wonderful future within this company, and would like to continue my career path, and see myself progress to x role. would you be able to support my financial needs?

also, as you said let them know that you are looking to settle in the area permanently and looking to commit to the company by purchasing a house locally

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eimaj18

I'd been following this thread for a little bit - I'd nothing really to add, but I found it interesting. Hopefully it worked out for her, and she can give us all an update - waiting here with baited breath 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭sura28

Hi all

Apologies I haven’t updated you all on how things went.

I had a call with my manager where we discussed my current workload and salary in a positive way. I think it was a surprise to her that I asked for my salary to be reviewed but she thanked me for being honest and bringing it to her attention.

She will hopefully have an answer for me next week. I am not sure If I’ll get a pay increase but at least I’ll get clarity and will be able to make an informed decision once I hear back from her.

I know that if my salary is not increased I will start looking for another job. I do hope my salary is matched because I would like to stay but this will be a deal breaker for me.

Thanks everyone for your support and advice. I took notes of what was said on the thread and used them to prepare for the meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭n0minus1

I think it would be useful to specify more details of both your roles. It's quite possible that you colleague actually has more qualifications and /OR more relevant experience that perhaps you really aren't aware of as you were not part of the hiring process.

Probably best to really understand that first before jumping to conclusions

By all means ask for a raise if you feel that you deserve it, but make it about you and what you can and are bringing to the table and less about a possible perception issue with you colleague in particular. She could be more capable than what you give her credit for

Best of luck with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭sura28

Hi

As part of my role I have full overview of the recruitment process and job description and applicants for the role.

We both have the same job description, similar qualifications, years of experience and responsibilities. I’ve been doing part of her job which I’m doing a handover. In fact she’s being trained by me and is having a nice pace handover. I was thrown in the deep end when I first started.

There are 3 of us doing the same role and I am responsible for the most ‘difficult’ areas which my manager handed to me due to trusting my experience and abilities.

There is no reason whatsoever to have different salaries and I don’t think my colleagues should get a lower salary, quite the opposite. The roles are very busy and fast paced. We are all qualified and underpaid. The team is lovely and we look after each other.

I know my manager was struggling to recruit for the role and that is why probably the salary on offer was higher.

Thanks

"I know my manager was struggling to recruit for the role and that is why probably the salary on offer was higher." and exactly the same problem will arise if she needs to replace you! Hence, you hold all of the aces!

So the only thing that you need to do - if she won't increase your salary, or offers you an insultingly low increase - is to be firm in your own mind that you'll immediately give her the necessary notice of your resignation. Alternatively, you could 'acccidentally' leave a copy of your CV on the photocopier or printer!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

is to be firm in your own mind that you'll immediately give her the necessary notice of your resignation.

Dont hand in your notice until you have secured another job!

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭thefa

Would be a hassle for the manager to replace but wouldn’t be wise to overplay the OP’s hand with antics. OP likely plays an important role within the team but the business is unlikely to collapse if they leave, particularly if two others are capable of doing the role to some extent. Quickly could ruin the relationship with the manager and the business by acting out and forget about getting a reference if needed at some stage.

See what the offer is, firmly argue for more if needed and start looking elsewhere if not happy with it. An offer from elsewhere is the strongest bargaining chip you can have in most cases and it’s typically easier to get a job already in one.

how did you get on with this one?

Advertisement