Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windbreak Netting, what to buy and how to fit.

Options
  • 07-04-2022 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭

I now have a greenhouse, apparently it''s o/k to an "orange" gale warning, so I thought if I get a windbreak with at least 50% wind attenuation, it should be o/k for a Kerry winter or two.

Not all suppliers quote the wind reduction factors, I would ideally like maximum wind reduction with zero light attenuation, but I guess it's a trade off?

I am considering panels that can be installed rapidly when the forecast turns, the posts have been started and are 2M high with a separation of 1.5 M between each post.

Obviously a fixed installation would be easier and cheapest, but I am considering removable frames of 2Mx 1.5M panels of windbreak mesh in order to maximise the light available.

i

What is the best practice regarding construction? I already used a lot of 1M windbreak netting to protect my newly planted Olearias, and the best clamping system I found was well painted carpet runners, but now after a few years it looks a right mess due to stretching and repeated flexing.

There seems little on the web about installation apart from the youtube stuff and knowing how they treat subjects that I am well aquainted with, I would avoid Youtube like the plague for subjects I need advice on.

Any input would be gratefully received.

SK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Bricriu

Colm Warren Engineering in Co. Meath is where I got my windbreak netting. See cwp.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Many thanks.

The watering equipment seems interesting also.

The information given is pretty good, I am wondering if the 1.83m is a "standard" though. Most people sell 2M widths, which is what I was basing my design on.

Maybe if I order 2M, that's what I end up with from elsewhere?

Your help is much appreciated.

SK

Advertisement