Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone migrated from Virgin to SIRO?

Options
  • 07-04-2022 2:03pm
    Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Have Virgin at the moment, on the 500 package, don't really have any speed issues and get close to full speed outside of the peak hours. The real issue is the price. SIRO has become available to us now and offers cheaper packages, I think I can get 1GB SIRO for a similar price to 500 Virgin.

Anyone made the switch? Any regrets? Do Siro packages usually have data caps? Very hard to dig this info out on provider websites.

If I moved from 500 Virgin to 500 Siro, am I likely to notice any differences at all? Is Siro less susceptible to drops in speed during peak times?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Repo101

Moved from VM 500Mb to Siro 1GB last year (Sky). I had issues with the VM modem and it would drop out at least 2/3 times per day. We installed a mesh system and nothing changed. We ended up bridging the VM modem before finally calling it a day as VM could not rectify the issue. SIRO has been great so far. The big difference is that the connection rarely drops out (maybe once every other month). They need to install their modem via the electric meter which leaves wires outside and SIRO drilling a hole in your wall. It doesn't look bad on my property due to the short distance between my EM and the modem but maybe something to consider as the installers just want to keep it short and sweet as possible.

The only major issue I have had is that when SIRO are doing maintenance or upgrades, Sky don't seem to bother passing on this information to customers, or Sky weren't made aware by SIRO, which can leave you without internet for 6-12 hours. This has only happened once but very frustrating when trying to work from home.

Personally, I don't notice any great difference in speed but upload seems to be better and there are no caps that I'm aware of. I have to download huge banks of data for work that can be 1TB+ and never had an issue/warning/notice.

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

My electricity meter is not on the external wall of my house, it's on my garden wall with the electricity cabling then going under ground, under my garden path to get into the house. This could be a problem come installation I guess.

Advertisement