Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike insurance (for a non-permanent resident)

Options
  • 08-04-2022 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

Does anyone know any companies that will insure your bike, if you're not a permanent resident in Ireland? For example, just work/study IRP?

Maybe something international?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Check the T&Cs but I'd start off with these:

https://bikmo.com/ie/

https://www.bicycleinsurance.ie/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'd take a small sum of money each month and put it in a savings account, buy 2 decent locks before you do anythng else. The later will mean the chances of ever needing the former will be greatly reduced, and the former will be more useful and easier to access if your bike ever does get nicked.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Most bike insurance is pure gimmickry. Read the small print or you'll end up paying for cover that you can never use due to their ridiculous restrictions on what they cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cleaner1

Seth, that's the thing, they (bikmo and bicycle insurance) only provide their services for permanent residents only, for whatever reason....I wonder why, plenty of international workers/students here.

I guess the good locks and extra vigilance is the way👍

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Maybe their logic is that if you not here permanently then you are either leaving the bike for long periods of time or transporting it a lot. Either way, they reckon the risk factor increases.

Do you have home insurance here? You might be able to include it on your policy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement