Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Translation for new Tattoo - cabhair ag teastáil

Options
  • 08-04-2022 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Conas atá sibh go léir?

Táim ag lorg cabhair le tattoo nua atá me chun a fháil.

táim ag iarraigh aistriu an nath seo go dtí Gaeilge: "MAY LOVE CONNECT US,FAITH DIRECT US, AND GOD PROTECT US"

Cad a cheapainn sibh faoin aistriúchan seo? "Go nascfar an grá sinn, go ndíreoidh ár gcreideamh sinn agus go gcosnóidh dia sinn"

b'fhéidir go mbaigh duine éigeann eile in ann aistriúchan níos fearr a dhéanamh.

I obviously want it to be as unique and accurate as possible without grammatical errors etc...

Apologies for my rusty irish, I havn't spoken really since i left school many moons ago!!

Comments

You're looking for the Modh Foshuiteach, I'd say, but otherwise you're not far off - caith seachtain amháin thuas in Oideas Gael agus beidh Gaeilge snasta blasta agat!!

The Modh Foshuiteach is used a lot in blessings and in curses (e.g. go n-éirí an bóthar leat - may the road rise to meet you)

May love connect us - Go nasca an grá sinn (https://www.teanglann.ie/ga/gram/nasc)

I think treoraigh (guide) is better than dírigh (direct). Dírigh almost means to aim or target something.

May our faith guide us - Go dtreoraí ár creidimh sinn (https://www.teanglann.ie/ga/gram/treoraigh)

And only a small tweak to the last piece

May God protect us - Go gcosnaí Dia sinn (https://www.teanglann.ie/ga/gram/cosain)

Tá a lan focal ansin - agus neart dúigh freisin (lots of words and ink). You could try a slightly lower word count with a different approach. There's already an expression in existence "Dia ár gcumhdach" meaning "God protect us / God our protection". You could build a wee triplet by saying something like:

Love, our bond - An grá ár ndáimh (dáimh means a bond of kinship, and is one of the loveliest words in Gaeilge)

Faith, our guide- An creideamh ár dtreoir (treoir can mean guide or guidance)

God, our protection - Dia ár gcumhdach (and if you don't like cumhdach, you could say "Dia ár gcosaint)

That's probably longer than you wanted - but there you go, a quick word while I'm waiting for them to process my account delete request. You might see what the saineolaithe here think. I'm not bad, ach tá i bhfad níos mó Gaeilge ag daoine eile anseo.

P.S. I'm an unreconstructed atheist, but don't let that put you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Bricriu

Sin comhairle stuama, eolach ó Ulysses ansin thuas, Korallys. An Modh Foshuíteach a theastaíonn sa gcás sin gan aon agó.

Go maire an An Modh Foshuíteach slán! Tá sé ag dul i léig, faraor agus daoine ag ligean don Bhéarla a gcuid Gaeilge a mhilleadh.

Bricriu

Advertisement